Huge Mistake

There are no good answers to this and that's why the decision was so close. holding a " suspect " in prison for life on the chance they are a threat is un American and wrong, do you know what suspect means? by the same token I see a situation were a scum bag could walk.

The high court has ruled, so that's the way it is.

No doubt adding to the pool of suicide bombers to go to Iraq.
It's already happened as reported from an Arabian News Channel in Egypt.

CAIRO (AP) -- Al-Arabiya television reported Thursday that a former Guant?namo detainee carried out a recent suicide bombing in the northern Iraqi city of Mosul.

A cousin said Abdullah Saleh al Ajmi, a Kuwaiti who was released from Guant?namo in 2005, was reported missing two weeks ago. His family learned of his death Thursday through a friend in Iraq, al-Arabiya said.

The cousin, Salem al Ajmi, told the station on Thursday that the former detainee was behind the latest attack in Mosul, although he did not provide more details.

Three suicide car bombers targeted Iraqi security forces in Mosul on April 26, killing at least seven people.

Mosul is believed to be the last urban stronghold of al Qaeda in Iraq.

It was not immediately possible to confirm the report. Ajmi was sent home to Kuwait in November 2005.

Pentagon documents indicate that Ajmi was 29 years old, born in Almadi, Kuwait, and was taken to Guant?namo from Bagram Air Base in Afghanistan on Jan. 17, 2002.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-13-08 AT 11:13AM (MST)[p] What rights would you suggest these suspects have? remember they're suspects, if you have a case then make them convicts, but what about those you can't ?

They aren't american citizens and they aren't on american soil. They have no rights as far as I am concerned. They don't have room to hold people they don't believe are terrorists. This ruling is outrageous! No doubt more american's will die because of it.

What's next, soldiers reading miranda to terrorists in afghanastan before they question them? B.S.!

There has to be some kind of formal process to deal with these people. If you don't want to apply the American justice system to them they apply the UCMJ. To simply warehouse people because they might be dangerous does us no good. It also gives a bigger black eye.

If we are going to treat people like this then we should not be surprised when our citizens are treated the same way. Whether or not they are American citizens or on American soil is not a good enough arguement. They have been captured and detained by America and that means America is responsible for them.

What if there are innocent people among them? There has to be a process by which these detainees are brought to justice. If we believe in what we say about being the bastion of liberty, Justice and the rule of law we cannot apply that only to ourselves.

Nemont

I agree 100%.

Viking the attitude that Americans are superior and therefore have the right to bomb,kill,torture,detain or in any other way deal with non US citezens as we see fit is ludicrous. we can't beat the terrorist without cooperation from other nations, the attitude that if you're not American you're disposable sub human trash probably won't gain us anything.

I agree with you partly. I disagree however with your assertion that we bomb, kill and torture as we see fit. That is nothing but liberal hype.

We do have the right to defend ourselves. If we need to detain people for years while we are in the process of sorting out who is and who isn't a terrorist then so be it.

These people get fed well, are allowed to bathe and keep clean, get medical attention, get prayer rugs and koran's on our dime and are allowed to practice their religion.

The fact is we treat our detainees or prisoners far better than not only the enemy but also better than most of our allies would.

When was the last time you saw a detainee at gitmo getting his throat slashed?

LAST EDITED ON Jun-13-08 AT 03:59PM (MST)[p]Viking421,

If our standard of behavior that we compare ourselves to is the terrorist action of sawing off heads then we are doomed.

Like it or not there is both a political and media component to the way we treat detainees.

If we are too be an example of freedom and justice tothe rest of the world it matters what kind of process we use to bring these people to justice. It has to be transparent and be up to our own standards. To do less invites severe reprecussion against our citizens abroad.

Feeding, housing and caring for the detainee's is the basics, anybody could do that. What is more important is that we try them, determine their guilt or innocence and then either execute, lockup or let go of them. It is important to our country as well as to our long term security to not just throw them in Gitmo and forget about them.

This ruling will not destroy our country it will prove to the world that we are a nation of laws and that we believe in what we say. Also I don't spout liberal hype as I am pretty conservative but to treat detainee's as less important because they are not American plays into the handbook of radical islam as proof that we are barbarian infidels.

Nemont

Lets don't take this to extremes here guys. I never said it would "DESTROY THE COUNTRY"

Our prisoners are simply beheaded by their captors. We give our captors a plush tropical life style. We have let some go that have already gone back to war against us. I do not believe that these savages deserve protection under our Constitution. All they deserve is a military tribunal at best. Mark my words. This will come back to haunt us there is no doubt.

"Thanks climate PhD 202" - TFinalshot Feb-05-08, 02:16 PM (MST)

If we treat them as "savages" and just throw them in the slammer or execute them without a transparent legal process it will also come back to bite us in the a$$. Not only would it be highly unpopular amongst our allies, especially the Europeans but it plays right into the Al Qaeda playbook.

If we have a formal, transparent and "fair" process that is observed by our allies we will be far better off. I don't want to see one person who is a terrorist let go but that really isn't the audience we have to play. The terrorist mostly have made up their minds that we are the Great Satan, The rest of the world has not. Those are the people who are watching how we handle this issue and asking themselves what would happen to them if America arrested them for some reason. We have to have help whether we like it or not.

Nemont

I am all for Military Tribunal just like the ones they held for Hitler's henchmen. I am not for giving them the same rights we have under OUR Constitution. It is just not right or fair to the 1000's killed on 911 and the 1000's killed at war and the 1000's wounded with arms and legs blown off. It is a slap in the face to those that have fought and died trying to capture these worthless scum bags.

You watch some slick OJ style attournys will let these guys walk. Some Amerca hating slime that wants to make a name will get some of these guys off the hook. Those will be the ones that carry a suitcase nuke into the Mall of The America's durring Christmas shopping time. Then what do you tell those dead's familiy's? "Well at least we followed the rule of law" What a crock!

We are a nation of laws, and that is a good thing. I don't pretend to be an expert in law and so don't presume to tell these guys how to do their law work. At the same time, there are lots of ways to skin a cat. At least initially some of these guys came to Guantanamo as prisoners taken in Afghanistan during armed overthrowal of the Taliban. Have you ever heard of the expression "take no prisoners?" War is hell, man, no doubt about it. If not simply leveling these guys on the combat field, what about interrogating them and then handing them over to . . . their not so civilized local enemies?

Why do you suppose aforementioned dumb azzes let this thing go so long that an OJ type of attorney could free a terrorist?

I think somewhere somebody within said administration was getting counsel that was terribly flawed. Then someone else woke up and said, "Wow we have a real mess on our hands, let us just sit back and wait for the courts to decide the issue. That way we can say look at was those dastardly attorney's did to us".

Nemont

Never thought of it that way but makes sence. You may be right.

I think alot of this has to do with the fact that we are treading on new ground with these terrorist. Sure they are prisoners but not in a traditional sence like the Germans were or the japanese were. These terrorist are not part of any official government army so there is a lot of gray area there as far as legality goes.

No gray area though as far as I am concerned. Would be nice if a natural disaster, like a huge hurrican came along and wiped them out. ;-)

A natural disaster like this

4857efe461b4b6d3.jpg

Kyle
"If it moves shoot it again"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom