Hunt Arizona In 2022?

callsalot

Hello Arizona, I have 19 NR points for elk and have been waiting to draw unit 1. I was thinking of waiting one more year because I may be moving around that time but I heard AZ might be in for it first decent moisture year in quite awhile so now I'm think I should just make it happen and go in 2022. Any thought on moisture and this hunt for the points in 2022?

We have been very dry since monsoon in July/Aug. We got a good soak over the last few days but that is not enough. Forecast for the next week does look promising. I'd say we are in an average to below average moisture. The deer and elk have been hit hard the last 3 years or so. Have you checked the draw odds? I haven't lately but im not sure 19 would even get you the tag

I have 18 but plan on waiting for 2023 to get serious. The odds may be a little better this year due to the early archery start. May be worse due to internet hunter safety point. Who knows.

No way to predict what the weather will bring us next month, let alone 10 months from now. With your points why not take a shot?

Good luck!

We have been very dry since monsoon in July/Aug. We got a good soak over the last few days but that is not enough. Forecast for the next week does look promising. I'd say we are in an average to below average moisture. The deer and elk have been hit hard the last 3 years or so. Have you checked the draw odds? I haven't lately but im not sure 19 would even get you the tag
I know it's not 100% but think maybe 50/50 thanks for your thoughts on it.

No way to predict what the weather will bring us next month, let alone 10 months from now. With your points why not take a shot?

Good luck!
I've been waiting to move back to my home town for 30 years and my house I'm building is delayed to now be done around then. But at 55 by the time I go I'm not getting any younger so the move might have to wait.

It wont matter Sept 9th or 14th they will be bugling. Early is better in these high bull to cow ratio areas. Bulls are gathering cows and also not broken yet that is my opinion, but by sept 6/7th they were singing this year well before the 10th start. Do not wait, apply and if you get drawn go do it you will have a blast in there.

It wont matter Sept 9th or 14th they will be bugling. Early is better in these high bull to cow ratio areas. Bulls are gathering cows and also not broken yet that is my opinion, but by sept 6/7th they were singing this year well before the 10th start. Do not wait, apply and if you get drawn go do it you will have a blast in there.
Thanks appreciate you weighing in. Even at 19 it's not 100% so I think I'll put in and whichever year I draw I'll give it the old college try as they say!

Getting snow currently! Not necessarily the biggest bulls but Always a fun hunt in 1. The thing I see most NR hunters disappointed with is they are surprised about the amount of hunters. AZ has a lot of tags so there are people all over. As long as u don't get discouraged easily, you will have a great time.

With La Nina, the rest of the winter and spring may be drier than normal, although this current week of rain and snow is welcome. Weather guys are saying El Nino will return late summer.

Having hunted Arizona a bit, the advise to go early is incorrect. The first week is always the worst in AZ. The second week the bulls are screaming, and half of the hunters have gone home. I have always had the best luck second week.

Well probably depends on where your at as far as bull cow ratio and the weather, 2020 was so dry animals were in survival mode. Not starting a pissing contest but having both helped and archery hunted in 1 and a neighboring unit during the last three years. Do not have prior knowledge before that however, The bulls were talking during the first week of the season. But as you said there is two weeks to the hunt and it does get quiet as far other hunters packing up. It’s an easy enough hunt unless you’re holding out for 340 plus or packing way into some of roadless spots. 2020 was slow everywhere, 2019 and 2021 were not but that is out of your control. If you draw the tag clear your schedule and plan on hunting both weeks of course. Early archery draw elk hunts in general - you do not fit these into your schedule or life. You make everything fit around it. Good luck and hope this week is not the only winter moisture Az gets, I am worried it will dry up after this.

Well probably depends on where your at as far as bull cow ratio and the weather, 2020 was so dry animals were in survival mode. Not starting a pissing contest but having both helped and archery hunted in 1 and a neighboring unit during the last three years. Do not have prior knowledge before that however, The bulls were talking during the first week of the season. But as you said there is two weeks to the hunt and it does get quiet as far other hunters packing up. It’s an easy enough hunt unless you’re holding out for 340 plus or packing way into some of roadless spots. 2020 was slow everywhere, 2019 and 2021 were not but that is out of your control. If you draw the tag clear your schedule and plan on hunting both weeks of course. Early archery draw elk hunts in general - you do not fit these into your schedule or life. You make everything fit around it. Good luck and hope this week is not the only winter moisture Az gets, I am worried it will dry up after this.
Agree with you here. I actually had one of my best hunts ever in unit 1, and it was good from day 1, but progressively got better. Then the last couple days fell back off as the early rifle hunters showed up to scout. Unit 6A however has sooo many hunters that I had countless stalks get messed up. The elk were quiet and then when people left (second week) it went bonkers. I killed my best bull in AZ on the second to last day, and my buddy killed a good bull same unit on the second day. But, if I only had one week to hunt (bad idea) I'd hunt the second one. I couldn't agree with you more about clearing out your schedule, quit your job, don't get married, put off that heart transplant etc. for this hunt and hunt it ALL.

Getting snow currently! Not necessarily the biggest bulls but Always a fun hunt in 1. The thing I see most NR hunters disappointed with is they are surprised about the amount of hunters. AZ has a lot of tags so there are people all over. As long as u don't get discouraged easily, you will have a great time.
Sound advice. Thanks for the insight!

I gotta chuckle a bit when I read about Unit 1 being overrun with hunters. In the 1960s, my first elk permit in AZ was for that unit. Over an entire week, I never saw another hunter other than the three with me.
If you re-read, 6A is overrun with hunters. In 1, you'll still bump into hunters from time to time.

Some good advise here. My AZ hunt I showed up 3 days early and killed my bull (<---- my avatar) on day 12. We heard bugles every day but it was better the second week. I would not try and squeeze this hunt into one week but if I had to it would be the second

If you re-read, 6A is overrun with hunters. In 1, you'll still bump into hunters from time to time.
I wasn't addressing your reply specifically but the thread in general. Someone mentioned 1 in the same message about getting discouraged by too many hunters.

That said, I also had an elk tag (after I called my wife so she could bring it to me :rolleyes: ) in unit 6A in the 1970s. Probably saw no more than 3-4 other hunters over a week.
Both 1 & 6 were gun hunts.

The recent tag cuts in 1 will help also. Early archery got cut from 300 to 250 for 2021 and also 250 for 2022. 250 Archery hunters Is not a lot once you get into the woods. It is a huge area and elk are spread all over the place also. Figure a lot of people Kill early or do one week and you maybe have 100/125 max actually hunting at the same time after the first couple days....not counting their crew in the woods looking for big bulls however.

The weekends are the worst in any unit. If you can survive the opening weekend circus, the rest of the week will be enjoyable with far fewer people. On every elk hunt I’ve been on, either as the hunter or a helper, by Monday afternoon the elk woods were awesome!

Some good advise here. My AZ hunt I showed up 3 days early and killed my bull (<---- my avatar) on day 12. We heard bugles every day but it was better the second week. I would not try and squeeze this hunt into one week but if I had to it would be the second
Hello Arizona, I have 19 NR points for elk and have been waiting to draw unit 1. I was thinking of waiting one more year because I may be moving around that time but I heard AZ might be in for it first decent moisture year in quite awhile so now I'm think I should just make it happen and go in 2022. Any thought on moisture and this hunt for the points in 2022?
If I draw this tag I will be sure to clear my schedule for a full two weeks to hunt. You just don't get these types of tags everyday! Thanks to everyones insights!

I wasn't addressing your reply specifically but the thread in general. Someone mentioned 1 in the same message about getting discouraged by too many hunters.

That said, I also had an elk tag (after I called my wife so she could bring it to me :rolleyes: ) in unit 6A in the 1970s. Probably saw no more than 3-4 other hunters over a week.
Both 1 & 6 were gun hunts.
6A is only overcrowded with people if you hunt in the easy to hunt places. More people in these places push the elk into the places I hunt, never overcrowded in the tough spots. this true in almost any unit not just 6A.

6A is only overcrowded with people if you hunt in the easy to hunt places. More people in these places push the elk into the places I hunt, never overcrowded in the tough spots. this true in almost any unit not just 6A.
That's especially true on the roads. :ROFLMAO:

I encourage anyone to road hunt, I even give these people rd numbers to drive. Kinda my way to heard people in the direction i want them to be and away from me, especially if their vehicle has CA plates on it.

I gotta chuckle a bit when I read about Unit 1 being overrun with hunters. In the 1960s, my first elk permit in AZ was for that unit. Over an entire week, I never saw another hunter other than the three with me.
A lot has changed since the 60s my friend. Unit 1 does have a lot of hunters. I see them every year disgruntled that there is so much competition. That said it is still a great unit.

A lot has changed since the 60s my friend. Unit 1 does have a lot of hunters. I see them every year disgruntled that there is so much competition. That said it is still a great unit.
Outdoor Writer passed away last year , thought I would let you know. And Unit One is big enough you can get away if you know where to go . I been Huntin it since the late 80's.......................BULL!

I had 15 points and applied for unit 1 for rifle and didn’t draw but got a call Arizona in November asking me if I wanted a tag turned in from a hunter and I took it , lots of elk in unit one .

28B14518-E76C-4355-AC63-03AADFAB3E6F.jpeg

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom