Hunters Ed. Class

peez3006

LAST EDITED ON Dec-29-08 AT 08:49PM (MST)[p]Any MM'ers going to the Hunters Ed. Class, Jan. 10th, in Kingman. A buddy and myself will be there.

Don P.

Hey Don.

I'd love to make it but have other plans... HUNTING! Why the heck do they have to plan the class right in the middle of the primo archery rut dates?

I am going. Land in Vegas Fri 2pm or so then drive rental car on down to Kingman. Staying in Kingman Fri and Sat nights. Driving back to Vegas Sun morning.

I was planning on it, did all my faxing and had reservations, but then I found out I have surgery on the 13th, and I have a cow elk hunt tag to fill...
so if I fill the tag first I will be there.

Well boys, those of you coming will have lots of company! Right now we have almost 60 signed up.

Guess folks are finding out just how valuable a bonus point can be.

I got some great data to share with those in the class about the bonus points, plus some stories about guys from the last two year's classes who drew premium antelope and deer tags after taking htis class.

Remember class starts at 7 a.m. ARIZONA time.

See you all,

Don Martin
Chief Instructor

I took Dons Az hunter Ed class in Jan 05, and drew 12 AW late that same year.
Good class, lots of fun.

Hey Don, gotta a questions for you.

How many antalope points does it take to draw a "non trophy" tag ?

Anaconda:

Thanks for your input, guys like you make valid the point that bonus points are indeed valuable in drawing Arizona tags, especially if you have accumulated a lot of them and are seeking a premium tag.

That being said, as we talked before in class, since AZ is on a bonus point system, NOT a preference point system, tags CAN be drawn by virtually anyone who is real lucky.

Case in point. A couple of years ago a guy from CA I know called and wanted to know what antelope unit to apply for. I told him that he virtually had no chance to draw since he had never applied for an AZ antelope tag before and would have just one chance to draw low number for the draw.

He said he wanted to try muzzleloader hunt, so he applied for a muzzleloader antelope tag in Unit 18A, which is in fact a premium hunt.

Remember, he had never applied for an antelope tag before, so he had 0 bonus points.

There were 10 tags for the hunt--so just one of them could go to a NR. When the 20% pass draw was done ( 2 tags available), no non-resident was drawn, so that meant in the general draw that one tag COULD still go to a NR who was lucky enough to have a low draw number.

As luck would have it, this guy got one of the 9 remaining tags!

So can it happen? Yes.

Will it normally happen that way? No.

But it can.

My advice would be to stay away from the most popular units and general rifle hunts (Units 9, 10 come to mind) and MAYBE you could get lucky and draw an antelope tag.

Hope this helps,

Don Martin
Chief Instructor
AZ Hunter Education
Kingman

Hello Don,

I spoke with you this fall about the class.Do you have room for 2 more? If so do I have to register?

Thanks

Desertsage:

I have just about the max, which is 60, signed up right now...you'll have to contact Dave Williams @ G&F to find out if he has any room left. Hope he does, come on down!

Don

I wanted to do the class last year, just didn't happen. With gas prices low, I figured now was the time. I havn't even looked into a motel, yet. Guess I better get crackin on that one. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Don P.

60, plus instructors...that's alot of folks to pack into that room. Probably won't even need to turn on the heater.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom