Hunters feeding the hungry and the like ??

Utahlefty

We're mostly empty nesters now but have been fortunate enough to have raised three kids without ever buying meat in a store -- not exactly "cost effective" but we've been virtually 100% subsistence hunters for 25+ years now, often donating packaged (frozen) meat to local pantries.

I have a unit 61 elk tag coming up this week and, having one elk and 4 antelope in the freezer already, I was considering donating this elk if successful.

I poked around a bit and in CO it looks like FHFH is the .org that prevails. There's also conveniently a participating meat locker right where I'd hope one would be.

I called to ask about their process and was told that not only does the hunter donate the meat, the hunter has to pay full retail for the processing ($400+ for an elk).

While I certainly wouldn't expect the butcher to eat the cost, it seems the sole purpose of the FHFH.org should be to defray these costs, right?

Experiences with this? Seems a like the hunter pays all the expenses, the butcher does all the processing, and the local food banks do all the feeding. What does FHFH do, besides patting themselves on the back in the media?

That’s about it I donated a deer one year cause we had to much meat and couldn’t find anyone to take it and I had to pay all the fees it’d be better to try and give it away is it a cow or bull tag ?

First season bull tag and yes, it's looking like processing it myself and giving the packaged meat way is a way better plan financially.

I'm just confused as to what these organizations are actually doing with any money they receive. They don't seem to be doing any of the work or paying any of the costs of the "program" they're promoting....

This year I’m giving away 3 deer and all I have to do is gut them and then drop them off. If you know the right people they’ll do the cutting up and skinning themselves

My youngest boy killed a deer on the Utah muzzy hunt this year and I already had an elk, antelope and deer in my freezer with no room for more. I posted on several Facebook hunting group sites (Bowhunters of Utah, Utah Deer & Elk Hunting, Utah Elk Hunting) that I had 4 quarters of a deer on ice in my cooler and would give it to the first person that responded and could pick it up at my house.

I had a handful of people immediately contact me in need of the meat and it was gone a couple hours later. You might try that as there are lots of people/families that haven't been able to tag out or get tags that could use the meat.

Good luck!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom