Hunters safety point with COVID

callsalot

I've been procrastinating getting my hunters safety point due to needing to travel to Arizona. With COVID has AZ put in place a virtual class or some totally remote way to gain this point?

I was told the required field day has been postponed until all restrictions have been lifted.

How about 1 day supplemental class for n.r. only, held in early Jan. Any news would be welcome ?

I suggest contacting Don Martin. He frequents the MM site and is also an instructor in Kingman. He would know. He usually posts announcements on here, but the classes fill up fast. I took his class a few years ago.

Contact info is in this post from earlier this year.

Having to take the "supplemental" class while in Arizona is silly. If it's really just about bringing money in to the economy then just charge $500 for it and have it be an online class. For non-residents to fly out, get a motel room and rental car it will be that much anyway. It's not truly about safety, as you have to have passed hunter education in another state to be able to take it.

Has anyone talked with Don Martin lately? I took his class in Jan this year. I was friends with him on facebook and I have not seen any post from him in a while now.

Has anyone talked with Don Martin lately? I took his class in Jan this year. I was friends with him on facebook and I have not seen any post from him in a while
I noticed that he hasn't posted on here in a while as well. When I searched for posts by his name, it didn't even come up as an option. If I type "elks" in the search field, lots of options pop up.

So here is where we stand in AZ at this moment. We are still in a Stage 1 status concerning Covid-19 as far as our Hunter Education portion of the Department. Holding a class like the NRS Class that Don typically hosts in January and April/May is not allowed at this time.

As far as fulfilling the Field Day requirement, NRS Class students actually have been doing that for the past several years with the outdoor practical portion of the class and the indoor simulated hunt laser rifle handling and shoot / don't shoot portion of the class. We wrote that into the course to comply with a mandate from the State AG in order to issue an Arizona Hunter Education Course Completion Certification (Hunter Ed Card) & the Permanent Hunter Education Bonus Point that is earned with it.

There's a long back story about how the Hunter Ed Bonus Point came to be and the creation of the one day Nonresident Supplemental Course (NRS) to enable out-of-state hunters to obtain it, suffice to say it had nothing to do with luring students to AZ for a one day class so the state could enjoy a pay day, while I will agree that is a consequence of travel to and from the class.

Anyone who has attended the NRS Class in the past would attest to the value of the information packed into the all day affair. Our evaluation forms come back 100% positive and all attendee suggestions are noted, considered and submitted to the Branch for evaluation. Those of us who have and do put on the class are proud of the product and the information we can share with our nonresident hunters in their quest to draw a permit. Folk on MM, especially WapitiBob, often attest to it.

The Bonus Point Field Test was created to make a field test component compatible with our online courses that would allow a graduate to get that PHEBP in about an hour, but still has to be done in AZ and conducted by AZ Certified HE Instructors. You're not going to get all the info shared in the NRS Class, but you'll get the point. The BPFT our instructor team puts on at the TriState Shooting Park in Ft Mohave, AZ provides some opportunities for suggestions about units and "brain-picking" about draw strategies, but nothing like the twice a year NRS held in Golden Valley at the Mohave Sportsman's Club.

When we get back to actually holding Field Days ( which may be soon-ish), there will be a priority to get the backlog of 1130 youth between 9 & 13 who've completed the online course their Field Day first. The adult groups who are seeking the BP are going to be behind that block of students at the start.

There may be a wrinkle for NR & Resident adults coming in the summer of 2021, emphasis on the the word "may"...stay tuned.

By the way, Don and I emailed back and forth a couple weeks back and he is fine. He caught his largest ever personal Striped Bass this summer on Lake Mead and as one of Arizona's longest operating guide and outfitters, he is very busy this fall with hunts around the state. He looks forward to seeing you all in the NRS Class as soon as he's green lighted to hold them again.

Good luck to you all this fall and winter on your hunts!

Jim Rich
AZGFD VHET CI
Mohave Valley, AZ

A Nr has to travel to AZ to get the hunter ed point; no way around it. Make a long weekend in Vegas with the wife/etc and drive to Kingman for the class. After 5 years applying you will never go below 2 points unless you screw up bad.

Appreciate it, I'll have to look but I have 16 or 17 so I have my loyalty point so I will get it once we can again. Thanks for the info.
Thanks.

Thank you for the writeup and info Jim. I'm a resident looking to get my 9-year old going soon (and my BP when possible), so your information is very helpful.

Thanks again for taking the time to write.

Has anyone talked with Don Martin lately? I took his class in Jan this year. I was friends with him on facebook and I have not seen any post from him in a while now.
I noticed as well and was thinking about that the other day when a buddy was asking about taking the class, I was in the same class as you!

A Nr has to travel to AZ to get the hunter ed point; no way around it. Make a long weekend in Vegas with the wife/etc and drive to Kingman for the class. After 5 years applying you will never go below 2 points unless you screw up bad.
Wouldn’t your points reset to 1 if you drew a tag and had the permanent hunters education point?

Sorry all, it’s not going to happen anytime soon. With C19 cases spiking again significantly we’ll continue to have to wait.

That's true I finally called yesterday and there is no work around the field day due to Covid, Just going to have to wait until they start scheduling Field days again.

AZGFD Staff are conducting Bonus Point Field Tests @ Ben Avery Shooting Complex in Phoenix. You would need to contact the AZGFD for dates, times, available seats.

I have been looking at it.
I have not seen anything come up in the last week or so.
Maybe I’m seeing it wrong

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom