Huntidude

NeMont

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Feb-09-09 AT 09:22AM (MST)[p]Want to know why it is bad to bailout Corporations?

Your beloved auto industry doesn't have the same "Buy American" attidue you do. Now they are investing a BILLION dollars in Brazil.
http://www.laht.com/article.asp?CategoryId=12396&ArticleId=320909

So while you support subsidizing them here they are looking for greener pastures offshore. I am so glad that the American Taxpayers get a hefty bill for helping these companies that are "Vital" to our economy.

I am all for letting the free market work and trade is an important component of our economy but can someone explain why the American Taxpayer had to help GM if they are able to build facilities offshore?

I opposed the auto company subsidized loans from the begining and people on this board called be UnAmerican for it. So please explain how this is helping the U.S. economy? Unlesss.....the loans were really a UAW bailout.

Nemont

We did a lot of work for Delphi at the plant where I work and have seen the majority of it transferred to China and Mexico. There's enough off shoring happening to us it necessitated the closure of our division. Heck we can't buy material for what the Chinese are charging for finished parts.

I saw a short clip on one of the cable channels a few weeks back showing a state of the art manufacturing automotive facility in Brazil. It had all of the supply chain partners integrated into the plant and it was very impressive and could produce something like 9 different models using the same line at a far cheaper price than the American plants. They ended the segment by stating that even though this factory was built by an American company using American technology we would never see a plant like it in the US due to unionization.

Now I see legislation backed by the current administration that will make it easier for unions to get a foothold.... Where's the logic in that????.... Terry

Deficit spending is a reality, no longer a short term descriptor of a soon to be rectified nature. Reinvestments that can stimulate the economy in a time of crisis and update infrastructure appear mutually benificial.

The government had already given the Big 3 long term low interest loans, before their bailout was even proposed.

Let us all not forget why there are unions, what sacrifices their founding members made, and what we take for granted as worker's rights.

However, if the union cannot exist in the auto industry it's too bad. Too bad the Big 3 don't have a dozen of those factories in Brazil. They could probably compete against KIA and Hyundai in prices, and Toyota in efficiency.

It's all a giant ball of government hand-out corporate welfare fear based crap. Auto Bailout, Financial Bailout, Economic Stimulus, Iraq War, Afghanistan,....Uh who in hell is kidding who?

It's like having a drinking buddy invite you to a bar, only to find out he's been buying everybody drinks on your tab and you only had enough open on that card for 1 beer. At some point the bartender is going run that card and it's going to come back delcined.

It's all Donald Trump Syndrome. Creditors couldn't let Trump go under and declare bankruptcy, it would mean their own financial ruin. So instead they chose to renegotiate terms and brought Trump back from being insolvent.

I think we should just give the Chinese Alaska and call it even for all the money we have borrowed. It would be a great sacrifice but we could throw in the Alaska first family for a generation or 2 to help out with the transition.

Real Estate Market, HAH! 3 million out of work, sounds like a lot more homes coming to an already inventory saturated and depressed market in the near future.

I heard chatter that within the next few months you may want to start stockpiling can goods and ammo. Ought to be an interesting summer.

GM should ship their entire operations to Brazil, fire all the US union workers, and develop a 25 year plan or buyout of pension to US workers with it's overseas proceeds.

We create a situation where you leave the US or fail and you're surprised by this? you can pay them to stay here and fail because they can't compete with Hop Sing or let them leave and try to survive. I'm not saying I like it but I understand it.

I don't really care anymore, I think there are too many dumb and self centered people in this country to make it worth my effort to worry about it. I'm set and I don't have kids so if all the buy China first crowd wants to cut their own throats be my guest, I can't change it so why sweat it.

I am not a buy China first person and never have been however if you have no problem with this then I guess all that noise you made that the auto industry deserved a bailout was just noise. How could you support their bailout and not be highly pi$$ed that they are investing outside the U.S.? I thought that was the whole point of the bailout.

How come Toyota and Honda can build cars here and compete but GM can't? Doesn't make sense.

Nemont

The Japs don't build cars here, they assemble them , HUGE difference.

US auto makers are in survival mode, if cheap foreign parts can make them more competitive they have no choice but to do it. like I said I don't like it but I understand, if we're not going to show our domestic manufacturers preference in the market place we can't fault them for seeking a few of the advantages their competition enjoys.

Nemont when I said buy China first crowd I wasn't saying you were of that mindset your post prove otherwise, but I know too many people who are. they hate unions so bad they hope American companies fail so the unions fall, this is an ignorant selfish and short sighted attitude.

Dude;

You need to take a good look at some of your so called American built cars. You just might find that small metal tag that says " Assemble in Mexico".

RELH

Dodge, add that to the fact they're mostly Canadian owned and thats why I said we shouldn't spend money to bail them out.

>Dodge, add that to the fact
>they're mostly Canadian owned and
>thats why I said we
>shouldn't spend money to bail
>them out.

But yet you're okay with giving GM millions to make cars in Brazil. You are the spin master, I'll give you that.

PRO

Define, develop, and sustain BOTH trophy and opportunity hunts throughout the state of Utah.

Where did I ever say I was OK with that? I said I understand why they're doing it I didn't say I approved. I've never liked the idea of any US jobs being exported , this is business as usual that many of you called healthy for the economy a few years ago it's not big news. if you had been as concerned with the exporting of US jobs over the last 10 years as you are here we may not be in a depression and wondering what the best way to create a job is. if we as a nation are not willing to give domestiv products priority when we buy we have to accept and expect them to leave, simple as that, and most of you aren't willing so shut up and watch what's left of our economy fade.

Like I said I don't really care much anymore, the majority doesn't care if we become a dead beat consumer debtor nation dependent on others to provide for our existance and I can't stop it so I'm done worrying about it. we can't even say buy American first without hurting feelings so I give up.

Your head might be spinning from whatever you're sniffing but I'm not spinning anything.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom