Hunting Africa

sniper14

Wanting to try and hunt Africa with my dad and bring along our wives. We are wanting to hunt with rifles plains game animals. Any advise on who to use for the hunt?

Besthunt.co.za.

I'm going in May for my 4th time. Cape buffalo finally.

Andre is a small family owned operation that can customize any trip. My wife went with me twice and she loved it.

He hunts on many different properties for just about any game. I've booked many people with him and lots of them went a second and third time.

Shoot me a text for more info.
707-972-5228

Check out Tsala Safaris. I hunted with my dad and few friends there. Rouan's wife and daughter in law are wonderful people and I'm sure would love to have some additional women in camp.

happy to tell you what I know. I love that place. Been a few times and cannot wait to go back. Send me a PM with your number. I am happy to provide a few options.

Decide on your target animals, and style of hunt before anything else. Do you want a ranch style hunt, driving in a land cruiser, or is a more remote setting more important? From this, choose the country - most likely RSA or Namibia for first time hunters. (These countries are generally the most economical.0
Also, do you want non-hunting activities nearby? Shopping, National parks, etc?
There are tons of good outfitters, and few understand the variety available. I usually turn it around and say your question is like asking who to hunt with in the US. There is a big difference in deer hunting in Florida, Minnesota, Wyoming, and Arizona. And switching to elk or sheep would give you very different answers.
Africa is equally diverse.
Bill

I've hunted 4 times myself with Onjonas Safaris too. CHWino is my brother and he is correct, you won't find a better outfit than Andre Viljoen his wife Jeanne and their sons. I've taken everything from Red Duiker to Cape Buffalo. Not only is Andre a great hunter / P.H. but the whole family is a lot of fun. I would go every year if I could.

llamapacker makes some great points. I only bowhunt, so I'm probably not the best person to recommend an outfit for rifle hunting. However, when people ask me where to bowhunt, I start with some of the same questions lp mentioned above. I also concentrate a lot on which animals the person wants to take. Just like pronghorn live in open grasslands and Coues deer live in rugged thick terrain, each African species has its preference as well. If Kudu is your most desired animal, go to a place that has great Kudu hunting for big Kudu. For example, the Eastern Cape has a smaller subspecies of Kudu, and while it's less expensive to hunt, they won't be nearly as large (body or horns). Black Wildebeest only live in a few small areas. Figure out what you want from the hunt (species, overall hunting style) and the trip in general (visiting national parks, elephant back safari rides, etc.), then look for a place that excels in those areas. Don't just pick a place that other people liked unless you know it will meet with what you are looking to get from the trip.

I hunted RSA in 2016 with Cruisers Safaris. The service was very good, plenty of animals, unfortunately we saw a lot of fence and it wasn't what I expected. If I were to go again, I would hunt with Crusader Safaris in RSA, they have 1 million acres of free range (no fence) hunting. Good luck.

I hunted with Huntershill Safaris, in the Eastern Cape, South Africa about 15 years ago and I would certainly recommend them, they treated us like Royalty. My wife went and enjoyed the trip also.
They had about 25,000 acres then and I think they have a lot more land now.

But understand that most South African plains game hunts are fenced. A kudu or impala will jump a cattle fence like a deer or elk but many of the others won't. Zebra, wildebeast or blesbuck typically won't jump a cattle fence. I saw plenty of zebra and blesbuck that were contained in cattle fences.

Where I was hunting was also cattle and sheep country so there was plenty of fences. So when someone says there is a million acres of free chase hunting without any fences I don't understand that.

A question you should ask the outfitter is where is the hunting property in relation to where you are staying. There are some small outfitters that don't own any property and pay other people to hunt on their land. You could be driving an hour or two from where you are staying to a different property every day. I did most of my hunting on the property I was staying on.

South African hunts haven't went up much in 15 years. Some of them may be cheaper. But the currency exchange was one US Dollar equaled 7 South African Rand in 2005 and now one US Dollar equals 14 South African Rand.

Typically North American Outfitters don't negotiate price but they may do that over there. If two of you are going then ask if they will give you a better price for two.

2 local guys do most of the local booking here. They are from Utah County. Both have been to Africa close to a dozen times. Give them a call. Wifes cost nothing to accompany you unless they wish to shoot animals.

20190624_173427.jpg

Crusaders may have "low fences" where game can jump it, they don't have any "high fences" that keep game in. I know several people in a gun club that I used to belong to that went to HuntersHill and raved about it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom