Hunting and overall fitness??

Hey guys not sure if this will be accepted here But two of us on the frugal hunter crew are doing a vlog on the 75dayhard challenge we are using to get into better shape for upcoming hunts.... Will drop the link to our youtube below hope some of you will follow us on the journey and possibly get started as well...
How do you guys stay in shape, not just for hunting but overall health?? Favorite workouts?? favorite diets or meal plans?
I personally have way more energy and accomplish way more in a day if i'm working out and eating well

I do CrossFit with extra weights work, the occasional bike ride, and cut my eating way back (not starving, but was eating way too much).

It’s not who’s in the best shape it’s who wants it more. I know some straight killers that go places the cross fit flat brimmers wouldn’t think of and wouldn’t be caught dead flipping a tire around in the off season. Stay active and stay motivated

I hike 2.5 miles round trip up and down mountains with a pack 5 out of 7 days a week and 5-6 one day a week.
At 53 it works better for me to keep the legs in hiking shape opposed to weight lifting condition.

I can clearly see a difference in my fitness this year from last year. Last year I was checking cams every week almost, lots of hiking, strength and cardio workouts.

This year my wife and I welcomed out first child in April so my availability to go off and be gone all day, especially when my wife has to work in the evenings.

Staying active is a big help, but most hunters would agree if you have been hiking at least a little bit during the summer, during the hunts it isn't as much of a butt kicker.

Stay active and stay healthy fellas

I wish I could do more, but I usually hit the gym 3-4 times a week. A mix of weights and running. I try to hike as much as I can, but that doesn't happen as much as I would like.

I run about 30 miles a week. Pre COVID, it was around 25 a week and about an hour on the Jacob's Ladder at the gym. I hit the weights 2-3X a week

Have you guys ever paid attention to your success on years you focus on fitness vs years you slack?? Every year I train hard I fill a tag! I personally don't think its due to overall fitness but the fact the my brain has been more wired to embrace the suck when things dont go well I'm mentally stronger and stay with it

I can clearly see a difference in my fitness this year from last year. Last year I was checking cams every week almost, lots of hiking, strength and cardio workouts.

This year my wife and I welcomed out first child in April so my availability to go off and be gone all day, especially when my wife has to work in the evenings.

Staying active is a big help, but most hunters would agree if you have been hiking at least a little bit during the summer, during the hunts it isn't as much of a butt kicker.

Stay active and stay healthy fellas
Congrats on the kid.

Fitness has a direct result on hunting success in the west. Like anything in life the guy that works the hardest gets the best results. Work hard and smart will bring you success. We all can walk 5 miles the first day. But can you climb 2k ft and go 5 miles after the trophy on the 4th day. That’s the difference where being fit wins.

I let myself get a little too nice of a dad bod and guess what my success went down. Now I dropped some lbs and keep a consistent gym work out and I can tell the difference in the woods. I can’t do what I once could now that I have more Grey hair than brown but working out keeps me in the game.

Same here mule! Same here. Good read. My daughter made fun of my moobs !??!!!
Man boobs -

I’ve dropped the garbage 20 lbs and ready for hunting season.

My preseason workouts include power hikes to a rock above the house here that is 2 miles and 1300 vertical feet. I take the dog and we go as hard as we can to get the heart rate up. I try to improve on time each go.
I also lift weights and have other hobbies that help with overall fitness.
One thing I focused on this year was reducing body fat. So, I lost weight while maintaining muscle mass. I think it helped a lot. I was hauling around about 5-10 lbs less this year than in years past. Felt strong when backpacking.
Of course, one needs to be very disciplined with food in order to trim that fat.

Y'all need to buy a herd of cattle. Between digging post holes, hiking fence lines doing upkeep, moving irrigation pipes, throwing hay and about 200 other projects each week, I simply don't have time for a gym membership. What's tough for me is the scar tissue and arthritis from doing too many dumb things when I was younger. Left shoulder is tweaked and ankles are worn out.

Well guys I went into elk camp at my lightest weight ever and in good shape.. it translated into grinding 10 days in the steep Colorado back country and 2 bulls down ( I did not kill my goal was to help my buddies fill tags, one hadn’t killed a bull in 13 years and the other had a unit 40 tag

6CEA9490-E338-412C-A860-B9EB0D7662A9.jpeg

3AC4E573-4352-4CAC-8065-8EC346D4EE46.jpeg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom