Hunting as you get older

Tank

I want to get opinions on how your hunting has changed as you've gotten older? I have had a gun in my hand since I was 5yrs old, hunting any bird I could get close enough with my Daisy Red Rider BB gun. Still remember the moment of silence I had on Christmas morning after I had harvested my first and only Chickadee. Still remember vowing to never shoot another. And I didn't. I have hunted or dreamed about hunting everyday since. Even at 50yrs old, my world revolves around preparing for the next hunts. Every yr I pass on animals, because they were too small or it was too early in the hunt, or I had seen something bigger. People always question why I didn't just shoot. It's not about that anymore. Don't get me wrong, I kill things, but I enjoy the challenge physically and mentally. The harvest isn't even close to the reward of being in God's Country and enjoying the grind.
How has hunting evolved for you, and how has it changed the person that you are?

I was a blood thirsty little ****. I used to predator hunt a bunch. Anymore with my kids it’s pretty tough to do. I’ve killed a couple critters that have messed with chickens but beyond that I’ve lost a little interest in it. Don’t get me wrong if I see a coyote in the field I’m definitely gunna shoot at it and miss. On a side note I killed a bobcat a few years ago and thought hell why not eat it. And I did and if I kill another I’ll eat it too.

At 80 years old I have lost most desire to score with any size of animal. Well not completely, but now I apply to mentor my grandson this year before he leaves that group. Then I guess there may be a youngster who may want to go, but did not draw. It has been a good ride, just afraid most of the deer will not survive this winter and the base herd is so low it might end the deer hunting, I have known.

I used to be hell on coyotes. About 12 years ago I stopped shooting them. Pretty much just shoot what I can eat these days.
SS, I believe coyotes are the toughest hunt, second to trophy mule deer. Love the challenge of predator vs predator. Although, I'm convinced that close to half the time, coyotes sneak in and sneak out without you seeing them. Friday I was out calling coyotes after a 10yr lapse. Forgot how much fun it is calling them. Coyotes, ducks, geese, and elk are my go to to get a kid addicted to hunting. Nothing like calling and sucking them in close to get a kids attn.

I shoot last. My boys shoot first. Like others I pass on a lot more for various reasons.

I find myself in areas I know suck, but because me telling boys isn't as effective as letting them learn it.

I started taking a lot more pics the last few years, of the boys and the old guys in camp.

My dad is in his 60s and still loves to kill. My uncle is more in it for the trip and being with family. For me my kids all get to shoot before me. Heck if I could give them everyday I draw I would. Seeing their joy for hunting is worth it. I am sure in a few years when they are out of the house I will move it more back to me and then I am sure after a few years it will be about the grandkids. My favorite hunt is a Chukar hunt with a good dog and alone on the mountain

Here are a dozen that come to mind, in no particular order:

1. My gratitude for the physical health and the opportunity to hunt increases as the number of hunting seasons in my future decreases.

2. I enjoy hunting a lot more when I’m with a family member. Watching them succeed is at least as much fun as filling my own tag.

3. I move slower, carry less weight, and it takes a lot longer to recover. I think this has made me a little more effective.

4. I’m grateful for my horse, a replaced right knee, and a good pair of boots.

5. I take more time to notice and enjoy the beauty in nature and its Creator. Hot chocolate before bedtime makes me happy.

6. Hunting motivates me to exercise during the off-season. It’s more difficult to stay/get in shape with each passing year.

7. I have better equipment than when I was younger. Good glass is even more important as my eyesight fades.

8. Can’t wait to be in the back country with my grandchildren. I hope they catch the hunting bug.

9. I’m looking forward to additional free time that will come with retirement … pretty soon.

10. Made a couple financial decisions that will hopefully add a few seasons to my hunting career … before Father Time eventually tracks me down.

11. I follow my gut more than I used to. It’s easier to remain calm when it’s time to pull the trigger.

12. Big bucks, bugling bulls, and a cackling ringneck pheasant still get my blood pumping. Those things haven’t changed.

Rimrock

How has it changed.? I used to hunt every year, general season. Now, its every few years I get to carry a tag into the field. Can't wait for the days when its 10 points for a general season tag. :ROFLMAO:

Also, hiking downhill on the knees is much less comfortable after 40...

When I was younger- it was all about the result. At 60, it's all about the experience. For a dude whose livelihood was behind a desk, being out in the mountains is my "religious" moment.

And like others- my mind likes to be 30 when I hit the hills. My body is starting to argue about that.

Being a couple months shy of 60 and planning me retirement, things have changed. As hard as you try to keep healthy and in shape, Father Time has his own plans. Each surgery takes a heck of a lot longer to recover, thus pushing you more out of shape.
No grandkids yet, but I have enjoyed my time outdoors/hunting with my 2 children and a friend or 2. This year I am planning 3 hunts. One for each of my children, and one for my long time hunting partner. Next year will start my plan to burn some longtime collected points. And still have annual hunts with family and friends. Mature/best animal I can find is still the goal. Cow elk hunts are for meat and fun.

I'm now late 50's and it sucks when I realize that I can't physically do some of the things I really enjoy. Don't get me wrong I still do them, but not the way I use to or want to. Now I marvel at what I used to be able to do.
On a more selfish note - I do a whole lot more harvesting or catching than hunting or fishing, but if things don't work out as I planned, then it rarely if ever bothers me that much.

Sometimes I question if I passed on the right attributes to my son as he is what I call a spoiled impatient hunter. He is an excellent shot and great fisherman, but doesn't seem to respect the game or experience as much as I would like him to. I thought I was teaching him to hunt/fish smarter, but when I catch him posting pictures on the internet with the biggest animal or fish in camp and then have people calling me an telling me about the great harvest they seen him shoot or catch and find out he posted a picture of my harvest or one of camp mates I want to strangle him!

On a side note though, I'm sure most of the memories we made together will be the ones I cherish the most.

At 26, I certainly wouldn’t consider myself an older hunter, but I’ve definitely evolved quite a bit over the last couple years. Any more, old mature animals are what gets me going. Also, I’ve started to try to go on 1 international hunt a year. While I’m going on these hunts with the goal of killing a trophy animal, learning about different cultures, and getting to experience different styles of hunting is the main goal.

For me, quite a bit has changed.
I'm not as caught up in shooting a giant buck. I regret, in the past, doing this too often.
My gear is a lot better.
I went on a Goose hunt this year and forgot what I had been missing. Much cheaper and more shooting!
I am really grateful for my health. I cannot do what I used to but I can still do okay.
I still refuse to use the word harvest.

I would certain agree that sharing hunts with family and friends in the outdoors is extremely rewarding.....especially grandkids!

As I grow older and wiser as a hunter I learned that getting up high and using my eyes rather than legs was a great option!

It's nice to escape the grind of everyday life all alone in the hill country.....and reflect on the past and what's to come.

I have also learned that most of my favorite outdoor experiences have been scouting prior to an actual hunt. No pressure of tag in hand and it's amazing to kick back and watch and film wildlife.

It's always relaxing to watch sunrise and sunsets in God's country!

Being a couple months shy of 60 and planning me retirement, things have changed. As hard as you try to keep healthy and in shape, Father Time has his own plans. Each surgery takes a heck of a lot longer to recover, thus pushing you more out of shape.
No grandkids yet, but I have enjoyed my time outdoors/hunting with my 2 children and a friend or 2. This year I am planning 3 hunts. One for each of my children, and one for my long time hunting partner. Next year will start my plan to burn some longtime collected points. And still have annual hunts with family and friends. Mature/best animal I can find is still the goal. Cow elk hunts are for meat and fun.
Congratulations on your retirement and enjoy the time!

I am 54 now and have been an angler/hunter my entire life.
I kill and catch a lot of stuff but was starting to wear down a little, especially with big game.
About three years ago I made a deal with a large landowner to let me gift and guide a couple of his mitigation doe tags.
All year long I search out and prep disabled gals/guys and war Veterans to take out and kill their first deer.
If I see someone in a parking lot or store and they are disabled I just walk over and ask if they hunt or if they are interested.
I am also disabled so it is a good way to break the ice.
It has been VERY rewarding and I think I enjoy it more than they do to see their first Deer tip over.

As I just turned 61 my hunting outlook has very much changed. It used to always be about quantity. Didn't matter if was dove, ducks or deer. Then just how big. I Still enjoy chasing Mature animals, but at a slower pace. It's ok to just spend an afternoon in camp. Now I also enjoy spending time helping friends. My wife asked when did you become a guide? The enjoyment of showing someone things that you learned, mostly the hard way and they become successful is very satisfying. I helped a couple of friends to their first mature animals. I think I was happier for them then they were.

I didn't start hunting out of state until I was 23 or so. I got a late start. Living in Cali, we hunted locally. My Dad didn't have lots of money and we didn't have "good" gear. We had what we needed to get the job done. I started hunting out of state (multiple states) at about 32 so I was extremely late to the game. That hurts me looking back but it is what it is. I had kids early in life so now that I am 51 and kids are almost all out of college, I have time to go on more trips. I recently went on my first bull elk hunt and I loved it. I realize that elk hunting will have a short lived time in my life due to it being so taxing on the body. I will not be playing point games in states and will always be trying to burn points so I can hunt elk every 4-5 years.
I have invested in backpacking gear and I want to start packing in to areas and get back to hunting locally. I think that'll get me prepared for hunting the Rubys which I would like to do a lot before I die. It's a beautiful area and it's not so much about killing anymore for me. Part of me wants to prove to myself that I can do it.
I am hunting elk in WY solo this year on a general tag. This will be a test for me and I will be prepared to make 3-4 trips to pack an elk out. I am in good shape for a 51 year old IMO but I won't push it if I don't have to. Carrying a 90-100 pound pack isn't something I need to do to prove I am a man. I am self employed so that helps that I don't have a boss telling me I only have 7 days to be gone.

I feel that the mountains are calling for me more lately. Maybe that is my own wants to get out more. I am realizing that my time is quickly passing by and I can finally see that. My Dad is 78 and we still hunt together. He can't do half of what he used to but he's still out there.....I have to slow down so he can keep up which I learned to do after he tripped in the sage brush a few years ago trying to get on some deer. I felt bad for rushing and it opened my eyes to his physical limitations from here on out.
Anyway, time is limited and I didn't realize that at 25, 30 or even 40. For me, getting out as much as possible now is what it is about....experience is important, not filling a tag.

Good luck to all of you in the draws this year.

At 66 gotta stay in shape. I trophy hunt for the most part last 15 years. Take pictures of the dinks. Go to the Gym 3-4 days a week . I plan on hunting as long as I can . Dad lived healthy till 99 . Who knows how long I'll be around. Pretty good shape still as of now. Moved to South Carolina recently after 45 years in Arizona. What they call mountains back here are hills . Still will come west once a year at least to hunt. Ain't in to the style of hunting here. I like big glass and spot and stock. My advice , stay slim and hope for health. I did AZ. Elk in Sep. at 7500 ft and did 4-5 miles a day , no problem just a little slower. Good luck. I am finally into the experience and not as much pressure on size but still hold out for the most part.........................BULL!......................PS, I will add if you love to hunt and can still do it and get around descent do it long as you can. I am afraid of quitting to young and look back some day when I can't walk and say ,damn wish I would of hunted a few more years. At 66 more than half of my Good Buddies have passed on in there 50's and 60's. Keep at it !

Last edited:
I'm a few months away from hitting the big seven-O and I can still get after it pretty well. (knock on wood)

I'm slower (no doubt) and pack / rifle weight wears on me a bit more than it used to but I still have the desire...and that's the most important element. The desire has evolved mostly into guiding the wife and kids and mentoring grandkids but I shoot my share too.

I'm still a natural born killer and EVERY animal I see brings out the predator in me. That's another indicator that the desire is still there.

Lots of water under the bridge but yet I can still mix it up in the mountains pretty well.

That could all change with one real sickness or injury so I'm forever eternally thankful for the life I've lived.

PS: Sheep hunting has kept me young!!!! (we will probably get one more sheep hunt this year)

Zeke

Like Zeke, I still like to kill a lot of animals. I'll shoot every coon, possum, coyote, bobcat and crow I can get a shot at. Try to keep my whitetails at 160 minimum but will shoot any legal bull elk. I'm a little slower and at 68 I find that using the same route, it's a lot further back to the truck than it was going away from it.

Hunting for me has changed due to my getting older and not as physical active as I used to be. I still have the desire and still give it a go each year but preparation now is based on where and how I can hunt. I have naturally changed physically but so has the rules for hunting. I have lived long enough to see the evolution of hunting especially in Colorado. Hunting has been a big part of my life and I am not looking forward to when I have to give it up. This year might be my last as I will be 84 this hunting season.

Aceman, don't give it up and stay active! I'm sure you have plenty more great years to look forwards to!

I actually have tried to do as many physically challenging hunts (elk, sheep, mtn goat, moose, etc) as possible while my body is capable. There are a lot of less strenuous type of trips (whitetails, antelope, turkeys, fishing, etc) that are just as exciting that can be done in the golden years....knock on wood!

Here are a dozen that come to mind, in no particular order:

1. My gratitude for the physical health and the opportunity to hunt increases as the number of hunting seasons in my future decreases.

2. I enjoy hunting a lot more when I’m with a family member. Watching them succeed is at least as much fun as filling my own tag.

3. I move slower, carry less weight, and it takes a lot longer to recover. I think this has made me a little more effective.

4. I’m grateful for my horse, a replaced right knee, and a good pair of boots.

5. I take more time to notice and enjoy the beauty in nature and its Creator. Hot chocolate before bedtime makes me happy.

6. Hunting motivates me to exercise during the off-season. It’s more difficult to stay/get in shape with each passing year.

7. I have better equipment than when I was younger. Good glass is even more important as my eyesight fades.

8. Can’t wait to be in the back country with my grandchildren. I hope they catch the hunting bug.

9. I’m looking forward to additional free time that will come with retirement … pretty soon.

10. Made a couple financial decisions that will hopefully add a few seasons to my hunting career … before Father Time eventually tracks me down.

11. I follow my gut more than I used to. It’s easier to remain calm when it’s time to pull the trigger.

12. Big bucks, bugling bulls, and a cackling ringneck pheasant still get my blood pumping. Those things haven’t changed.

Rimrock
That about sums up my response to this post as well. Could not have said it better myself !(y)

I'm a few months away from hitting the big seven-O and I can still get after it pretty well. (knock on wood)

I'm slower (no doubt) and pack / rifle weight wears on me a bit more than it used to but I still have the desire...and that's the most important element. The desire has evolved mostly into guiding the wife and kids and mentoring grandkids but I shoot my share too.

I'm still a natural born killer and EVERY animal I see brings out the predator in me. That's another indicator that the desire is still there.

Lots of water under the bridge but yet I can still mix it up in the mountains pretty well.

That could all change with one real sickness or injury so I'm forever eternally thankful for the life I've lived.

PS: Sheep hunting has kept me young!!!! (we will probably get one more sheep hunt this year)

Zeke
I have 30 Sheep points in AZ. I am hoping to get a tag while I can still do it!...................BULL!

When I was younger- it was all about the result. At 60, it's all about the experience. For a dude whose livelihood was behind a desk, being out in the mountains is my "religious" moment.

And like others- my mind likes to be 30 when I hit the hills. My body is starting to argue about that.
Hike,
I agree that being on the mtn is a religious moment. I would even add spiritual and sacred to that. In the Bible, prophets went to the mtn to be closer to God. I think that people who don't understand why we do it, fail to recognize that being in the mtns does bring us closer to The Creator. Maybe that is the "experience" that we are searching for.

Hunting for me has changed due to my getting older and not as physical active as I used to be. I still have the desire and still give it a go each year but preparation now is based on where and how I can hunt. I have naturally changed physically but so has the rules for hunting. I have lived long enough to see the evolution of hunting especially in Colorado. Hunting has been a big part of my life and I am not looking forward to when I have to give it up. This year might be my last as I will be 84 this hunting season.
When I grow up, I want to be like Ace....84 yrs young...inspirational...thanks for that

Will turn 64 next month. This past season, my elk hunt showed me the toll a few health tissues have taken on my ability to get around in the mountains. I can still get around but much slower and packing heavy loads is not something I really want to try. Much as I hate to admit it my mountain hunts are numbered. I plan on doing more fishing, which is something I have enjoyed all my life. I will still hunt white tails and hogs on our little ranch as long as I can walk a couple hundred yards. I do find myself appreciating sunrises, sunsets and the time spent with family and friends a whole lot more these days.

Anymore, if I can take one animal a year, preferably a yearling cow elk, to butcher, cook and make stuff I'm content. I've had a good run starting in 1963 and got to hunt several western states. I guess my goal now is to get the meat I want while killing the fewest animals possible. I would like to hunt whitetail some more, have only taken one. I guess I'm aging out, more mentally than physically. All the infighting over res-non vs res tag allotments makes me sick. I always saw non-res dollars as vital to state fish and game departments which makes them allies in conservation and you don't turn on your allies. All that has been forgotten.

I am in my early 60's and spend more days in the field (average about 50-60 days) than most each year. Still love to hunt solo in the backcountry, usually about 3-5 miles in, but try to limit myself to 7 miles at most. I NEED a better camp these days, with a decent camp chair and sleeping system. I can rarely hunt for more than a few days without taking at least a half day off to sit on a water hole near camp, or in other words, recover. If I'm not comfortable, I don't recover, and get very frustrated not being able to hunt as hard as I used to. I'm not sure I am wired to slow down, but eventually I must, I know.

I spend far too much time on each hunt wondering how many years I can still do this alone. I am much happier if at least one other person is in my camp at night to talk with. About two others is my max.

I've started to do more hunts where I can bring the camper and have a nice soft bed at night. Having my wife in camp is a big plus as well. Much better food and good company.

I really don't worry about packing meat. I can still do about 75-80 pounds a trip. My days of over 100+ are definitely over.

I still do 6+ western states each year for big game. Always said I would hunt upland game when I was too damn old for the mountains. It may come to that, but not for a while yet.

I still like to kill, and as long as I am taking an above average animal for the unit I am happy. Big animals are great, but not all that important. Each year I like to prove I can still get the job done, and enjoy the challenge of hunting "back in".

Bill

I've stayed in shape most of my life. When I was younger, I would think nothing of taking off from camp on a day hike. Now, a couple miles and I gotta rest. This past year was the worst as I had five surgeries on my left elbow/wrist towards the end of September. I vastly underestimated the effects on my ability to shoot while standing. Chopping wood..not gonna happen. Hauling a buck on my shoulders. Not gonna happen, although I did try hauling half a buck about 9 years ago. I'm gonna have to use a receiver hitch mounting hoisting device next year if I get a buck or elk. There is no way I can lift one anymore by myself.

I do not regret getting older and less physically able. It's just a part of life.

I DO REGRET not recording some of the stories my former hunting partners, one deceased and one in his 80s, told me...especially those stories they witnessed in the 1940s through 60s.

The old people you hunt with today: Find a way to record that history in order to pass it on down to those who care. I will have my ashes scattered amongst those stories I only vaguely remember.

I’m 57 and decided if I’m gonna stay up with my boys I better get my ass in the gym. Been had it for 4 years now, 4 days a week lifting and riding a stationary bike 4 to 5 miles on those 4 days. I’m in the best shape of my life right now but down hill still hurts my damn knees. I try to go in as light as I can and come out heavy. I let a lot of bucks live the last 10 to 15 years and try to take an older class looking buck. Killed my best buck to date in 2022. It’s all about hunting with good friends and my kids these days.

I want to get opinions on how your hunting has changed as you've gotten older? I have had a gun in my hand since I was 5yrs old, hunting any bird I could get close enough with my Daisy Red Rider BB gun. Still remember the moment of silence I had on Christmas morning after I had harvested my first and only Chickadee. Still remember vowing to never shoot another. And I didn't. I have hunted or dreamed about hunting everyday since. Even at 50yrs old, my world revolves around preparing for the next hunts. Every yr I pass on animals, because they were too small or it was too early in the hunt, or I had seen something bigger. People always question why I didn't just shoot. It's not about that anymore. Don't get me wrong, I kill things, but I enjoy the challenge physically and mentally. The harvest isn't even close to the reward of being in God's Country and enjoying the grind.
How has hunting evolved for you, and how has it changed the person that you are?
Well said. I to will be 68 this year. I do enjoy the outdoors more now than ever but harvesting is only icing on the cake. I’ve only harvested 2 bucks in the last 12 years. I enjoy being with my 2 boys more than anything because watching them reminds me of me with the excitement and adrenaline that kicks in at certain times. Like to harvest one last pisscutter that makes the book if possible but those days are far and in between for me now. Back went out in December and I had to miss my boys deer hunts in New Mexico this year. Talk about a wake up call. First hunt I ever missed! Don’t know what future holds but hopefully I can get back at it but at a slower pace I’m sure. Don’t do the upland game anymore and first year I didn’t duck hunt since I was 16. But I’ll have to say this I love to fish on the west coast here which is more of a passion and less stress on the body so I’ll take it!

Used to hunt day and night every season for every critter that walked or flew !!! From running hounds all hours of the night to putting in the boat full of goose decoys long before daylight. Swear to god I took 20 years off my life expectancy back in those days ! I can remember many sleepless nights , most spent in the timber behind a hound , some on the lake after walleye too. Now days I’m quite okay with not filling a tag , not having 35 greasy coons to skin each week , not getting up at 4 am to check a hundred traps or put a boat in to go stumble around in waders in the dark ! I still get after it at times but I’d rather take someone eles and watch them succeed. I’m 44 and this is the first fall in my life I never brought home a buck , from anywhere in 38 years !

Horses. They make you 20 again.
Delta you are right! Without my horses this flatlander would not have killed half the elk I have killed. My problem now is with an ankle that doesn’t like stirrups. Doc says in a few years I will need an ankle replacement, I told him not anytime soon. Hopefully I have one or two more horseback trips chasing elk left in me

Definitely watched it in my Dad. Growing up my dad was absolutely fanatical about it. All he did, all he wanted to do. It’s what our lives basically revolved growing up… My dads last elk hunt was 2020, the year he retired. I took him on a good whitetail hunt in 2021 and he killed a nice buck. This past year he hunted a single day on his property for whitetails. Crazy to see a man who was absolutely obsessed with it majority of his life simply not care about it anymore at 62 years old. Doesn’t care to fish much anymore either, he just plays golf every day now in retirement. I think it’s prevalent for those who guided hunting and fishing for so many years. When you’re done you’re done i guess. Here’s Dads last two animals we took together..
6A570905-E27B-4F61-A6AB-23A475703CFB.jpeg
A8009010-6EBB-4D26-B5F6-1FE2B0F31AAB.jpeg

A few things that I have found absolutely essential to be able to solo hunt/pack deer and elk is training. But even more so, is strengthening the posterior chain. And bow hunters need to really take care of their shoulder mobility. When my knee aches there is a reason. I don't believe that reason is only old age. Being an athlete into my college yrs, flexibility wasn't a problem. But not moving now, like I did then stiffens up the muscles. Stretching and PT to take care of issues before they start to do damage, and lengthens the time I will be able to do the things I love. It improves your quality of life in all aspects.
My Physical Therapist's father was an 84yr old logger. Still goes up to work 3 days a week. I'm sure he's not working full days, or working a saw with a long bar, but he's bending, flexing, and moving. NOT sitting in a chair all day. I would have thought his body would be all busted up. But it was just the opposite.
I was recently amazed that one of my patients took up running at 65. Blows my mind. Maybe our limitations are only in our mind, and we can start a new journey to be better anytime.
Sorry for my ramblings. I am inspired by people who refuse to give up doing what they love. Appreciate the insight/devotion to living what I consider a blessed life in the outdoors.

I'm way older than most, including Zeke and I still love getting after it. Hunting has always been one of the great joys in life for me.
Drawing a sheep tag at age 55 literally extended my physical (and hunting) life because I decided I wanted to stay in shape enough to hunt all four species. It also expanded my hunting goals. Prior to that I was primarily a deer/elk hunter, but after that first sheep I lost 30 lbs and generally stayed in relative sheep shape so I could keep after it.
My son is the other driving force for hunting. We really enjoy hunting together and he still pushes me so I can accompany him. There is nothing I enjoy more in life than being in the wilds with him and life is still good when I'm on a mountain top and he is by my side.

I have hunted and fished my whole life, and my Dad was my mentor, one of the best wing shooters, and i started with a 20- gauge model 12, and still have it. At 76-years i still have the desire to hunt, and am planning my elk and bird hunts a year in advance. I have two Grandson's that are my hunting buddies, and am fortunate enough that my son-in-law has a ranch to hunt on. I go to the gym just so i can hunt and stay active. My desire is to die on a mountain gutting out an elk, and just leave me there to feed the critters!!

I have hunted and fished my whole life, and my Dad was my mentor, one of the best wing shooters, and i started with a 20- gauge model 12, and still have it. At 76-years i still have the desire to hunt, and am planning my elk and bird hunts a year in advance. I have two Grandson's that are my hunting buddies, and am fortunate enough that my son-in-law has a ranch to hunt on. I go to the gym just so i can hunt and stay active. My desire is to die on a mountain gutting out an elk, and just leave me there to feed the critters!!
If you ever hunt with SS!, he can make that a reality. LOL

As a young person you never really think you’ll get to the point where the kill isn’t the point of a hunt. I’ve definitely got to that point. I enjoy the meat, so I usually try to get a deer or elk often enough to enjoy the meat, but if I’m in a group hunting I would rather someone else killed something than me every trip I go on. I used to hunt small game, and waterfowl a lot more. I still buy the licenses, the stamps, and go to get out throughout the seasons though. The hard to draw tags obviously are still exciting/and important for me to fill, but I’ve got much more into conservation of wildlife and wild places than I am about making sure my tag gets filled. A nice day on the mountain watching the wildlife I love to hunt, feels every bit as enjoyable and successful now as getting one would have for me when I was younger.

My desire is to die on a mountain gutting out an elk, and just leave me there to feed the critters!!
This sounds good to me, I wouldn’t even need to be gutting an elk.

I understand what people are saying. But hunting is about killing animals. Camping, scouting, fishing, etc is for enjoying the scenery and having fun with family. You can only hunt hard for so many years. The rest you can still do from a wheelchair if it comes to that. Maybe someone that chooses not to hunt DIY can’t understand my attitude about that ???

My priorities and abilities have changed like all the older guys. I still absolutely love to hunt and scout. And beoutdoors doing almost anything. (But the weather recently has put a damper on some of that

I turned 70 in December. I retired 2 years ago and I have always worked out. I always got up at 4:30 to run and work out. I still have a treadmill, a treadclimber and weights in my gun shop. There's cable TV so I can go there and work out whenever I want. It's 50 feet from our house.

High school and college football wasn't kind to my body. Three knee and three shoulder operations, plus other things made me decide I needed to take care of myself early on. I have always tried to weigh what I weighed when I was a senior in high school Best shape I was ever in, so that has worked.

I now wear knee sleeves and sometimes even elbow sleeves to help. Don't underestimate the value of those. I also take glucosamine/chondroitin daily. It does help me.

Back to hunting though. I still love to hunt, but as has been stated, it's more about the experience. I like helping others have a successful adventure and build memories. 2023 is my 36th year as an outfitter. I'll start scouting in July, and will hunt from September until January. Last year, I packed out 11 elk, either alone or with help. No horses, just manpower until it gets to a vehicle. The loads seem heavier, but are still manageable.

I'll keep chasing this dream as long as I can do it and do it well enough to not be a burden to anyone. Then not sure what I will do. Maybe I'll die on the mountain as has been mentioned. I do know I will be buried on our place, right by the big stackyard that overlooks the best meadow with the most deer. I'm hoping my kids will tip the head end of my coffin up a bit so I can still look at those deer from my grave. A good life and I'm thankful every day for all of the adventures I have lived. But I'm not done yet...........

I’m 52 and have already noticed my obsession with hunting has declined. Don’t get me wrong, I still shake like a dog sh!tting peach pits when it’s go time but if I don’t see anything worth taking, I don’t lose any sleep over it like I used to. I also get more satisfaction by helping someone else be successful rather than myself.

im 68 and never missed a hunting season deer/elk from 12 yrs old...hunted nm, col, wyo tex, and the yukon...2 new knees and a total ankle replacement....when i was young and didnt kill it was a failure....i let a 32 in 180 minimum walk away the other day...ive ate 12 elk, 20 deer, 2 oryx, 3 antelope and portions of moose and caribou...im old and stove up now...but i LOVE watching mulies...that big buck wooda been on my wall for a short time because of my age...and he wooda been my biggest one....the fire is going out with me but ive taken my grandkids, boy and girl, who have killed 5 between them...that is my greatest enjoyment now

The problem with age is you miss the people who taught you. When you pass 50, most of them are gone or don‘t hunt with you anymore. It is nostalgia, but don’t miss the opportunity to teach a new generation. The young now look up to us. Enjoy life, and teach at every opportunity.

As I said earlier, I still love the hunt but when I go out west it doesn't feel like it did when I was younger. I started hunting archery in unit 62 Colorado in 1974. When I would walk into the woods it felt like I was walking into wilderness almost like stepping back in time. I saw almost no human sign except a few cows once in a while.

Now I I'm stepping into a giant ATV park. ATV tracks everywhere, e-bike tracks down in holes I didn't think they could go, pop cans, beer cans, water bottles, candy wrappers, gum wrappers, footprints going both directions on every trail, even found a guy's elk tag on a trail, groups of bicycles coming by every hour, sightseers, leaf watchers etc.

I know that I also am an extra person adding to the problem, I'm not complaining, just stating that I'm older, it doesn't feel the same.

The problem with age is you miss the people who taught you. When you pass 50, most of them are gone or don‘t hunt with you anymore. It is nostalgia, but don’t miss the opportunity to teach a new generation. The young now look up to us. Enjoy life, and teach at every opportunity.
Ya, last year I slowed down and hunted with my Dad in Utah. After seeing him try to get around, what I consider easy hunting, I realized that there wouldn't be many more of those hunts. He enjoyed tooling around the roads as much as the hunt. Glad I took the time with him. I'm making it a point to do that hunt for a few more yrs. Won't have him forever...

I will be 58 this hunting season. I’ve realized that being outdoors revitalizes everything. Those that know me know I think about hunting 24/7/365. But my perspective has changed like many of you. I don’t shoot as often and hunting with my family and friends is the most important thing. I would rather see family and friends get their firsts or biggest. With the way tags are allocated these days, you realize that some of these hunts will be your last. That is a hard pill to swallow, but it’s part of life. I am going to keep after it, but I can see the end for the first time. My advice to the young guys is don’t take your health and youth for granted. Father Time is out to get everyone. Have no regrets and make sure that when you are out there hunting that it is not all about the biggest, best. Life is short and take advantage of every opportunity.

When I was younger bowhunting was more seasonal. Go to walmart and buy my tags the evening before the opener. Practiced for a few weeks before that.

Spent alot of my time doing extreme sports, ski racing, desert racing dirt bikes, rock climbing and the like. Took up alot of my time. Down time was spring fly fishing and fall bowhunting. Pretty much like that all the way through raising my kids.

Fast forward 25 years since my youngest was born and by now I'm hook line and sinker anything elk, but occasionally I'll have a chat about deer and an OIL species or two :)

Needless to say my life pretty much revolves around where and when is the next bowhunt for elk. Filming them, scouting for them, hunting them and especially roasting them over a fire has become a full time passion for me.

Solo'd a cow elk off the front a few weeks ago at 61 years old. Was pretty stoked I'm still in the game and can play about as hard as anyone considering.

Can't imagine doing much of anything else actually.

Something about hunting one, cutting it up, packing it out and cooking it all by yourself that just makes all the crazy in the world go away !!!

Is it sept yet ???

Cheers, Pete

backstraps.jpg

couldn't-go-down-cliffs-along-the-road.jpg

cow-elk.jpg

elk-tenderloin.jpg

elk-tenderloin-to-perfection.jpg

I'll be 72 this year. The difference in the last 10 years is definitely showing up. I can't walk as far as fast. My physical endurance is beginning to let my mental fortitude go downhill as I begin to realize the end of my hard hunting days are long gone. My mind says "yes" but my body says "no"!! My main focus now is how close I can get the truck or ATV to the critter...especially elk. My packing out days are pretty much over. I have been able to do quite well glassing from the truck or a walk to a glassing point. 1. Find the quarry. 2. Can I get the truck or sxs close enough? 3. If so, make the stalk and try for a shot! The realization that I can't do what I once did is setting in and my hunting has to take a different turn now. Acceptance is the hardest part lol.

I'll be 72 this year. The difference in the last 10 years is definitely showing up. I can't walk as far as fast. My physical endurance is beginning to let my mental fortitude go downhill as I begin to realize the end of my hard hunting days are long gone. My mind says "yes" but my body says "no"!! My main focus now is how close I can get the truck or ATV to the critter...especially elk. My packing out days are pretty much over. I have been able to do quite well glassing from the truck or a walk to a glassing point. 1. Find the quarry. 2. Can I get the truck or sxs close enough? 3. If so, make the stalk and try for a shot! The realization that I can't do what I once did is setting in and my hunting has to take a different turn now. Acceptance is the hardest part lol.
I think the biggest thing with me is you hit it on the mark, MY mind says yes but my body says no . That hurts . Best of luck and keep after as SMART as we can..............................BULL!

First season at 70 under my belt. Elk hunt went well in WY but I definitely was not moving uphill as fast as before. Pretty confident I can whitetail, turkey, antelope and mule deer hunt for another 15 years god willing no injuries. I still just a successful hunt by the kill but am not disappointed if one doesn't happen.

I remember when you could buy a deer tag over the counter and it was good state-wide. You also got an extra tag for archery if you wanted. Now, the DWR has done their best to take all the fun out of it. You have to pick your weapon and pick the ridge you want to hunt and you can't draw a tag for even the worst units every year. The best areas now are not as good as the worst areas used to be.

At 74 years old this year, I can't go as far or as fast as I used to. It makes my hips hurt if I push it too hard going uphill and my knees hurt on steep downhills. These days, I prefer to not draw a tag so I don't have to lug a gun around. Just tagging along with the kids and grandkids is more fun than hunting myself.

I remember when you could buy a deer tag over the counter and it was good state-wide. You also got an extra tag for archery if you wanted. Now, the DWR has done their best to take all the fun out of it. You have to pick your weapon and pick the ridge you want to hunt and you can't draw a tag for even the worst units every year. The best areas now are not as good as the worst areas used to be.

At 74 years old this year, I can't go as far or as fast as I used to. It makes my hips hurt if I push it too hard going uphill and my knees hurt on steep downhills. These days, I prefer to not draw a tag so I don't have to lug a gun around. Just tagging along with the kids and grandkids is more fun than hunting myself.
You need to draw that tag ! Then you can give your grandkids the opportunity by mentoring them and hunting with them . Even tho some maybe mad by me saying so !

I've learned to appreciate our whitetail on the plains here. Never hunted them until 7 years ago, but wow are they fun and the terrain much, much easier

I remember in Colorado buying a 'Sportsman's Tag'. Elk, deer, bear, turkey, small game, mountain lion and fishing. $25.00.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom