Hunting bear in Colorado

D

dutch

I was thinking of getting a bear tag this next fall for the month of September in unit 74 of SW Colorado. However I have never hunted bear, I don't believe dogs are legal in Colorado either.
I was curious as to best methods in hunting bear, sit, stalk, time of day and so on. I always see fresh sign during October where we hunt elk so I thought maybe I might try to get a bear.
BTW, how does the meat taste? I heard it is not too good so I'm still not sure if I want one or not.

dutch,
i killed mine this last yr over a water hole in the evening siting and glassing works to look for feeding areas chock cherrys accorns

Dutch.
Any of those San Juan units are pretty good. I think this year for a change we will be doing unit 78. During that September rifle season your best bet is to find a "zone" where you have multiple food sources growing in one area. Bears like a variety of food more so then an abundance of one particular food. During early September there will still berries out which are a magnet that time of year. Get high and glass, glass, glass. Email me if you want to talk about it sometime.
BB

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom