hunting boots for utah archery hunt

HNTNFSH

Looking for any sugestions on boots for archery in utah that are lightwieght andand not to hot. Will be hunting up high and packing in 7-10 miles. I have good but boots now but are for colder weather. Would like to find something with a good cushioned heel. Any info would help.

I love my Meindl Perfect Hikers. Most comfortable boot I have ever had on my feet, and they are tough as nails.

I hunt Utah Archery and have been using Trail Running shoes the last couple years with great success. They are extremely light weight and easy to slip off for a stalk and pretty comfy. PREVIOUSLY, i was using Nike Trailbreak which have good traction, but this year I am using Adidas Kanadia due to a little more agressive tread, super lightweight for my long, high country treks, and they are a semi-mesh on the sides so the let the air flow through for great foot air conditioning.

My dad has some really lightweight boots that he seems to like. I think they are either the Rocky Broadhead or Cabelas version of light weights (the name escapes me at the moment)

Either way you can't go wrong!

?-ERock-> ?

LAST EDITED ON May-24-12 AT 10:27PM (MST)[p]+1 on the Meindle Perfect Hikers. I hike and hunt in high and rugged terrain and they have been the best boots i have ever owned

I love my Solomon Pro GTX 3D mid hiking boots. They are very light and comfortable and i love the lacing system.
731solomon.jpg

Oh man, threads like this are good for suggestions but for petes sake try them on before you buy them.

If you are a young guy you can usually get away with less supportive boots. When I'm backpacking I like a med weight boot with a bit more support- for ME- I know from training that my feet start to get sore with the lighter hikers after a few days, YMMV.

Point is- get in tune with what works for you.

I wear Lowa Tibets, and couldn't be happier. Great boot if you're packing weight. A lot of ankle support, and stiff soled.

+1+1 on the under armor speed freaks. Got a pair a couple weeks ago, and don't want to take them off. Been hiking up and down canyons bear hunting, and they are awesome, and reasonably priced, and little to no break in!

I read a lot of reviews that the speed freaks hold all of its odor and dont breathe well. Also seen complaints of water getting in.

I have ankle problems and in NV we get some nasty shale, thorns and everything else, I like to hike in a 6" boot. I hunt Danner Pronghorns and they are great. the new model they released is one fo the most comfortable hiking boots ive ever had.

I just ordered a pair of Salomon Wings Sky GTX boots. From what I have experienced by trying them on at the store they are great! They also have great reviews online! If you're looking for something lightweight and breathable these or the previously mentioned Salomon Pro GTX 3D's would be a good choice. The only reason I chose these over the Pro's is for the extra ankle support as I primarily backpack hunt. I really wish they had the quick lacing system though. That is a nice feature! Both these models have a trail running platform and will keep you quick on your feet.

3006108612.jpg

Some other brands to check out are Inov8 and Lowa. I'm really curious about the adidas boots but haven't found many reviews on them so I'm a little hesitant.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-02-12 AT 09:48AM (MST)[p]for early season archery all you need is a pair of
these or something similar. The key is picking something lite. this brand of boot is actually built wide in the toe area so if you want to use wool socks you can extend them into the colder seasons.

http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/product/ss12/shoes/men/trailhead/siskiyou mid wp

I actually use a low top trail hikers for packing in my camps and hunting. I buy a good quality insole and ive never had any problems. I also use the same low top trail hikers for work, packing 25-35 lbs of gear all day long 8+ hours a day during the summer. When my feet start to get tired all I do is purchase another set of insoles and my feet will be good for another couple of months.

I spent 2 1/2 months last fall out hunting. I purchased the Under Armour Speed Freaks too.

Pro's
Light weight; amazing to walk in up steep climbs,
ankle support; great for descents. great traction.
Great in snow with no leaks with two polypropolene socks
easy break in
Minor thinsulate

Con's

Leaked in my first rainstorm; HORRIBLE. Wished I had different shoe that day. Wet feet in backcountry sucks. Local trip, no problem. Soaked as soon as I was walking around. They are suppose to be water resistant, far cry from it.

They do smell, but I can't say all my other shoes smell too. I would need more experience with other to say if they did or not.

First wear down area is the crease where my toes bend. The sitching is come out...but I have burned through shoes like this very fast. About one pair a year. Mountain hiking bush whacking style is hard on your shoes, a nylon lightweight shoe is going to be spanked after 1-2 season.

I spent $149 on shoe and I believe I still another season with these. They do smell, I hope I can eliminate with some odor eater s or something. I will be looking into a new rain, snow boot.

I even tried to put snow seal all over the shoe and it was helpful but the seam did still leak.

My conclusion, Great for local over nighters, but if the weather is looking gloomy, you better have some backups or alternative selection.

Thanks for all the replies I really like those salomons going to try som this week. Thanks again and good luck to all that have a tag

>Thanks for all the replies I
>really like those salomons going
>to try som this week.
>Thanks again and good luck
>to all that have a
>tag

I love the quicklace w/ garage system they have.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom