Hunting boots

BillyBoB

In the market for new hunting boots.
Looking at the crispi boots gtx summit but there are many options.
Don’t know whether to go insulated or non.
I typically hunt in September-December but also help friends/family in early season hunts. (August)
Naturally my feet tend to be on the colder side and probably sweat more than normal.
I almost always wear thick wool socks for added comfort and warmth.
Need advice and or recommendations for best deals
Thanks

BillyBoB,

There are a couple "boot review" threads going on here now. I think in the " General Hunting", and in the "Reviews" pages.
I'm personally a Meindl fan. I have insulated and uninsulated pairs and really like them. There are a lot more opinions in the other threads.
Good luck.

hwy

I would go with Crispy but stay away from the crispy Colorado. I would also get a leather boot. Some of the other Fabrics allow sharp thorns or spiky parts of plants to work their way in. The crispy Val drez is a really good boot that's cheaper than most of their models. I have it and love it.

I am in the market for some boots as well. I have this damn Mortons Neuroma at the ball of my foot about where the toes attach. Its a bit of a nerve thing that feels like you have a small pebble. Irritating as eff! That said, foot doc says to get something with a wider toe box and that would help. I usually wear a D width. If anyone else out there has a foot issue but have found some decent boots to wear, I'd love to hear it. I absolutely will not buy anything made in China.

I am in the market for some boots as well. I have this damn Mortons Neuroma at the ball of my foot about where the toes attach. Its a bit of a nerve thing that feels like you have a small pebble. Irritating as eff! That said, foot doc says to get something with a wider toe box and that would help. I usually wear a D width. If anyone else out there has a foot issue but have found some decent boots to wear, I'd love to hear it. I absolutely will not buy anything made in China.
Meindl boots have a wide toe box to begin with but you can also get them in EE width. Most comfortable boot I have ever worn. They also have a foot bed that forms to your foot.

I would go with Crispy but stay away from the crispy Colorado. I would also get a leather boot. Some of the other Fabrics allow sharp thorns or spiky parts of plants to work their way in. The crispy Val drez is a really good boot that's cheaper than most of their models. I have it and love it.

Have you ran the Colorado in the past? Looking for real world review.

JimNV, I feel your pain! I have mortons foot plus a neuroma. Wide boots are a necessity for me. Crispi and Lowas both sell boots in wide and have worked well for me. I used to wear Scarpas. They were great boots but to narrow.

Another thing to help your neuroma condition is insoles with extra padding. That has been a game changer for me! Another thing I do is use socks with additional padding in the bottoms of the feet. Therlo and others make different thickness of socks with extra padding. Thinner padded socks for when it's hot. I buy my boots 1 size larger so I can add a little thicker/padded insoles plus more room for padded socks. I cinch them a little tighter when using lighter socks and let the laces out for thicker socks.

I work in the field in Colo year round and never wear insulated boots even in the middle of winter. When active you really don't need insulation. I usually have more problems with feet sweating while hiking and when I sit to glass get cold feet due to having damp feet from all the sweat.

All leather boots outlast synthetic boots hands down! Most synthetic boots I've warn come apart at stitching. The least amount of stitching the better! All leather is usually a bit heavier than synthetic boots so there is a trade-off. I usually have a selection of boots to choose from for different weather and hunting conditions. I've had great luck with Lowa Tibets but only use them in deep snow due to stiffness and weight. I've had great luck with Lowa Caminos and Vantage. Also bought pairs of Crispi Wyo's and Dakotas and like them so far. A buddy at work has good luck with Crispi Valdres. Another buddy likes Crispi Nevadas.

JimNV, I feel your pain! I have mortons foot plus a neuroma. Wide boots are a necessity for me. Crispi and Lowas both sell boots in wide and have worked well for me. I used to wear Scarpas. They were great boots but to narrow.

Another thing to help your neuroma condition is insoles with extra padding. That has been a game changer for me! Another thing I do is use socks with additional padding in the bottoms of the feet. Therlo and others make different thickness of socks with extra padding. Thinner padded socks for when it's hot. I buy my boots 1 size larger so I can add a little thicker/padded insoles plus more room for padded socks. I cinch them a little tighter when using lighter socks and let the laces out for thicker socks.

I work in the field in Colo year round and never wear insulated boots even in the middle of winter. When active you really don't need insulation. I usually have more problems with feet sweating while hiking and when I sit to glass get cold feet due to having damp feet from all the sweat.

All leather boots outlast synthetic boots hands down! Most synthetic boots I've warn come apart at stitching. The least amount of stitching the better! All leather is usually a bit heavier than synthetic boots so there is a trade-off. I usually have a selection of boots to choose from for different weather and hunting conditions. I've had great luck with Lowa Tibets but only use them in deep snow due to stiffness and weight. I've had great luck with Lowa Caminos and Vantage. Also bought pairs of Crispi Wyo's and Dakotas and like them so far. A buddy at work has good luck with Crispi Valdres. Another buddy likes Crispi Nevadas.
Wow...great info and thanks! My podiatrist has me on insoles with extra padding. I've tried various insoles but the ones made by Powerstep seem to work the best. I think I have the problem with having a narrow foot but do need the wider toe box because of a bunion as well as that Mortons Neuroma crap. Aggravating to say the least.

I have had pretty good luck with those socks that individualize the toes for seperation if you have never tried them. Called Injinji Midweight Crew Extra Life Socks. Hikers and backpackers swear by them. Feel kind of funny at first and for my feet, a pain to get on. Wore a lot of hand me down shoes as a little kid and kind of formed my feet with the toes squished together. That said, they do seem to help quite a bit. A little pricey but worth it at the end of the day. Comfortable as well. Give them a try. Found them on Amazon (of course).

Been actually looking at the Lowas as they are a bit more in my price range as far as boots go, but will definately review the makes and models you have listed. Great stuff and thanks!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom