Hunting Deer in 1st Season

SureShot

Very Active Member
Assuming the later dates are going to result in significantly higher success rates--especially for mature bucks, if no changes are made, we're going to quickly see a significant reduction in the number of tags allocated. With fewer tags available, we'll also see a huge increase in point creep.

To counter that, I'm thinking it might be a good idea to open up the 1st season to deer and move some (many) of the tags allocated for a unit to that earlier season. That way, they can still offer more tags with lower success rates and move more people through the system.

Is there any reason CPW couldn't choose to do that?

I would think it would have to be in their five year plan to be able to do that, but I am definitely not sure about that.

I like the idea though!

Assuming the later dates are going to result in significantly higher success rates--especially for mature bucks, if no changes are made, we're going to quickly see a significant reduction in the number of tags allocated. With fewer tags available, we'll also see a huge increase in point creep.

To counter that, I'm thinking it might be a good idea to open up the 1st season to deer and move some (many) of the tags allocated for a unit to that earlier season. That way, they can still offer more tags with lower success rates and move more people through the system.

Is there any reason CPW couldn't choose to do that?
I think the goal of CPW is to kill off all the older bucks. Besides there are a lot of tags issued for archery and muzzleloader early seasons.

I hope they never move deer to 1st season. Elk are still bugling fairly good then making it a fun hunt. Adding deer hunters to the mix would definetly hurt the quality of that hunt.
You probably wont get much rut activity this year with as late as they moved the hunts back.

Well that puts it at Oct 16th and that's pretty dang late. probably not much rut action that late. not unheard of but not alot.
Depedning on the year, there can still be enough bugling to keep it interesting. I killed my biggest bull on Ocober 16 and he was screaming like it was late September.

I believe they used to have all deer and elk seasons combined many years ago and they specifically made 1st season elk only for a better "quality" hunt. I do think 1st season often has elk bugling as cows are going thru 2nd estrus cycle. So I'd highly doubt they'd combine the 1st season. As stated above, "if no changes are made, we're going to quickly see a significant reduction in the number of tags allocated.".... I'm not sure they would cut the tag numbers simply due to lost of revenue. From most people I know, we all complain about overcrowding but I see very seldom do they cut tags as a response which just seems to be a case of taking the survey as a courtesy but not really doing anything about it. Hate to be a whiner but just my observations and experiences from going to meetings but regularly hearing the response something like "we're open for ideas.....as long as it doesn't impact our revenue". That's a direct quote that has stuck with me.

Bet I hear bugleing bulls Friday night and Saturday morning before the guns go off. Takers?

The problem with wildlife populations in Colorado doesn’t get fixed with a longer season and more hunters through the system. ?

Last edited:

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom