Hunting Illustrated Article!

tallbuck1

Has anyone picked up the DEC/JAN Issue of Hunting Illustrated. Inside is an article called "The Fear of Hunting". I was wondering if there are any opinions on the article.

Tallbuck1

One Bad Day Hunting
is better than a good day
at WORK!

I thought it was a little extreme, the way LEO was portrayed as a gestapo or SS whose sole purpose was to mess with hunters. The guy who wrote it got on my nerves too. He seemed arrogant and full of himself.

While there are what some people would say alot of rules and laws to obey.. so what? If you don't want to take the time to learn and follow them don't hunt.

I for one do not fear or have any apprehension about game officers stopping by me to see if I am legit. Maybe that guy had something to hide a time or two and that's where the fear comes from.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-29-04 AT 09:45AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-29-04 AT 09:44 AM (MST)

My opinion is that Dennis Wintch lumped all wildlife officers and LEO's in general into one category. I've really enjoyed his articles in the past, but this one seemed like he had some kind of personal grudge or agenda. Sure there might be a few bad apples, but you get that in any profession. I've never had a bad experience with the UDWR (knock on wood) and only personally know of one person who has. I think it's a dangerous profession, with not the highest pay, so I think for the most part, they should be commended for what they do. My theory is, if you don't have anything to hide, who cares if they question you or want to see your license, etc.? And as far as learning the rules goes, if you don't want to learn the rules, don't play the game. It's no different than driving a car, buying a gun, developing property, building a house, starting a business, or a ton of other things. There's rules and regulations that have to be followed, and if you don't like it, then do something else.

The one guy I know who had a problem shot a spike elk on opening morning a couple years ago and was on his way over to clean it when a wildlife officer rode up on horseback and asked to see his license. He explained to the officer that he had an elk down and he wanted to go and make sure it was dead, but the officer insisted on seeing his license right then and there. Well, needless to say, the elk stood up and and a couple of other guys put bullets into it, one of them right through hind quarters, and all the officer said was, "your license looks fine, have a nice day", and rode off on his way. My neighbor filed a complaint when he got home, but I don't know that it ever went anywhere.

I thought this was the WORST article I have ever seen in Hunting Illustrated. Being a LEO myself, I really didnt like the way he portrayed LE, and made it seem like we are the bad guys, not the idiots who dont know how to obey the hunting regulations.

In my opinion, if you aren't doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about.

TUFF

I too thought it was a bit much. Sounded like he had a few bad run-in's and now it totally against them. I did like the fact that he stood up to them when he knew he wasn't doing anything wrong. But all game wardens, conservation officers, etc. have a job to do, a job I sure would not like to have most of the time. They make a huge commitement to protect and help the animals we love to pursue.
My only gripe against these guys is that sometimes they show absolutely NO leaniency. Like writing you a ticket if you just switched coats cuz the weather was warm and you forgot your tag/license in your other coat and it was back at camp or in the pickup, or forgetting to sign one little spot on your license or a stamp, or gutting your game before tagging it. Granted, in some states these are all illegal, but c'mon......that's a good way to give these guys a bad name.
I've never had a bad experience with any of the GW/CO, etc. but when I see one, I instantly get nervous about the little details I just stated above coming back to get me. With all the new rules and regs stated in Dennis' article, it's easy to unintentionally forget SOMETHING.

Lien2

I also felt the article was one sided. All of the game wardens I have dealt with have been allright in my book. To tell the truth, I've never in my life been checked for liscenses or tags while hunting. I've hunted Florida, South Carolina, Tennessee, Wyoming, Nevada and Idaho and never have been checked. On the other hand, I've been checked a few times while fishing.
A friend of mine had a bad expierience a couple of years ago. His brother had a Nevada bull elk tag. His party decided to put on a drive down a heavily wooded mountain side. My friend who was a driver decided to carry his rifle in case a coyote crossed his path and also for protection in case a lion wanted to use him as a pork chop.(several lion stories were floating around at the time. California fatality and others.) When he came out of the bottom a game warden happened to be driving up at that moment. The game warden wanted to see a tag and license. The warden got pissy even though my friend explained that he was not going on a walk through the woods without protection of some kind. They bickered a little but the warden had to let my buddy go because he reminded the warden that he could carry a rifle in the forest anytime he wanted too.
But I feel that most wardens are good people and are sportsmen just like us and have a true love of wildlife.
fatrooster.

I've had a gut full of dennis and his self righteous know it all bull#$%^ attitude. I have never had a bad experience nor do I know anyone who has. I have nothing but respect for these people and the job they do. Ya let's get rid of them and see how long before we have absolutly nothing to hunt. It's no suprise that you have a few bad eggs, show me a profession that doesn't. The article is pathetic and nothing but a personal attack by someone with a chip on his shoulder. Some of the "true documented stories" Were so pathetic I could only laugh. I can't believe the mag printed this poor rambling pitiful attempt at writing. His other article in the same mag. was about the most pathetic pat yourself on the back attempt I've ever seen. I can't take anymore of him, so one more issue and I won't be renewing that mag. There I feel better now...

Huntnfool

Not your run of the mill generic hunting article by a long shot.
I liked it & thought it took huge nads to print.

The piece is clearly an editorial, basically one man's opinion, based on experiences Mr. Wintch has had with various governmental agencies. While he certainly has painted with a broad brush, and in doing so casts a pretty harsh light on G&F officers in particular, there is food for thought in his article. No doubt, when anyone associated with "an agency" reads it they're likely to dismiss it as drivel, while those who've experienced some form of harrassment to varying degree are going to identify with portions of what he wrote.

I'll say this, LEOs' that work the hunting seasons are dealing with folks that are armed in almost every case. They have a duty to sign off at the end of day and go home to their families...alive. I give them the benefit of the doubt in every case and just give them what they want, which is usually nothing more than to look at your paperwork and make sure you are who you're supposed to be and doing what you're supposed to be doing. That being said however, some LEO's do, on occassion just seem to want to push an issue just a bit further than it needs to go. Whether it's a power trip, or ego, or just because they can, it's a bit unnerving and certainly uncalled for. The bottomline, read every sentence in every required set of regulations that have anything to do with the outdoor activity you're involved in and then comply fully. If we don't we WILL have a problem and they WILL find it and then the fun WIll end.

I really liked the article, the begining of it brought back some good memories. I have not had much trouble with dwr but forest sevice rangers, thats a whole new story. Most of them I have dealt with are probably okay off the job, but when they put on the uniform, look out!!!

If anyone in here has ever known someone who got a power trip off having a little bit of athority, There are people like that in every job, and where I'm from you get game wardens who think their better than everyone and will harass and try to get anyone for anything, but most of them are decent and respectable. Remember that they work for the public good and if you have an unpleasant interaction with an officer of the law, fish and game or other, you can always file a complaint with their superiors.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom