Hunting in Canada, drive from Las Vegas.

mtntophunter

Hi all hope everyone is staying safe! I would like to drive from Las Vegas Nevada and do some hunting in Canada with the ability to bring the meat cape & horns back to Vegas. Any recommendations on booking with an Outfitters and any great ideas about keeping the meat good on the drive home. I really appreciate the input.

Hi, I am Outfitter up here in Alberta Canada and offer Trophy Mule Deer, Moose, Whitetail and Black Bear Hunting.

We help all our clients with paperwork for exporting the Antlers, cape and meat.

I've seen good success with the meat staying good in high quality coolers especially if you're coming up later in the season when its colder out.

Some of our Moose hunting clients come up with Coolers and freezers wired into Cargo trailers or the back of pickup trucks. lots of good options to make things work.

we also offer seperate meat processing services through local butcher and many our clients use our Taxidermist here that does trips down to the U.S with trophies to be delivered.

I hunted in BC last year for Moose and drove from Arizona. Long drive but I wanted to bring all the meat home. I used Canyon Coolers and they’re some of the best coolers out there. I used ice until crossing the border, then put dry ice above the meat - protected from touching the meat with towels. My processor was concerned about the temperature of the meat until he tested it, all the meat was in mid 30’s and in excellent condition. I crossed the border at Roosville just north of Kalispell, MT. Easy to cross into Canada with a rifle, had the firearm import form filled out and probably took 20 minutes to clear. Coming back into U.S was easy also, just make sure you have the 4457 form for any firearm before leaving the U.S. I cut the antlers/skull cap off in Canada and customs officer was concerned about some tissue on the skull and after an inspection from Agriculture inspector they said it was ok as I had cleaned the inside of skull of all brain matter. Will definitely clean it a little better next time. There are several threads here regarding taking a firearm into Canada if you have a DUI or any other conviction. I have a clean record so no issues. Long drive but a great experience that I will do again.

That's great congrats on the moose thank you for the info do you mind telling me which outfitter you used or would you recommend them?

I hunted with Chad Hansen who owns Nanika Lake Outfitters. He was booked solid for fall ‘20 the last time I talked to him. That may of changed with the pandemic. A great outfitter that has been in business for over 70 years. Actually discovered his name on this website. Absolutely a first class outfit and a straight talking honest person.

I"m booked for 2021 and I too want to drive and bring everything I can back with me.

I'm driving form north of Salt Lake City and have been researching 2 routes up to the Smithers area.

Did you guys stay on I-15 most of the way?

Thanks

Robb

I-15 ends at Sweetgrass/Coutts which is a very busy border crossing. I did that once and probably took :45 with a rifle. Despite what Mapquest might recommend, the next time I took 93 north from Missoula all the way to Jasper and then 16 west to Burns Lake. 93 crosses the border at Roseville which is quick and easy both direction. I found this route shorter and quicker with excellent roads the entire way. You might need chains from late October onward.

I went this last October and crossed at osoyoos/Oroville. It was relatively painless. Pretty decent roads from there up through kamloops and prince George to smithers. Just watch out for the kanooks hauling balls on some of the two lanes...

Any suggestions on bringing back a fresh wolf hide?
I think you need a cites permit but not sure what other requirements.

Grizzly cooler 400 pack your stuff in it on the way up and meat on the way back, take a bunch plastic milk jugs that you can freeze water in and have ice all the way home. I have had ice it for 8 days in hot days and cold nights during elk season.
I use it every Nov to haul back a whole steer. with just dry ice in it.

It's official, I won't be driving up in 2021

My outfitter has me penciled in for the same dates in 2022.

BC hunt~~ BUMMER!

Robb

It's official, I won't be driving up in 2021

My outfitter has me penciled in for the same dates in 2022.

BC hunt~~ BUMMER!

Robb
Sorry you were delayed Robb!
What are you hunting?
We flew into Prince George and then drove up through Smithers on our way to hunt Stones/Goat in 2017. Pretty drive, but long and lonely!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Canada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Outstanding waterfowl or whitetail deer hunt in beautiful Saskatchewan, Canada.

Urge 2 Hunt

Premier hunts in Alberta for trophy whitetail, mule deer, elk, moose and black bear. Guaranteed tags.

Back
Top Bottom