Hunting/meat pack

Gollywomper

After our recent cow elk hunt it was very obvious I need to purchase a pack that is up to the task of hauling heavier loads.
I talked with another hunter he loves his Exo Mountain pack. Seems like a great pack as you can order with what ever size bag you may need and not be stuck with an overly large bag.
Plan is day hunts, so most likely less than 5 mile packs.
What do you all use to haul out your game?

If you want to haul a heavy load get a Barney’s, if you want to swallow a heavy load get any other brand pack.

Any of the new fancy frame packs will get the job done, exo, mystery ranch, stone glacier, Eberlestock, kuiu, the list goes on... they are all great packs, just depends on what one fits you the best, I suggest trying a bunch on and finding the one that feels right

I own majority of the top end packs on the market and the Stone Glacier has been my choice the past couple seasons. Really comes down to what your budget is but you can’t go wrong with other brands like; Kifaru,Exo,Kuiu,Mystery Ranch and Eberlestock.

If you can I would suggest trying on a few different brand packs to see what fits you the best. Can’t go wrong with a Stone Glacier, Kifaru, Kuiu, EXO, Seek outside.

Stone glacier packs are junk. You want to sell something in the hunting industry put a ram logo on it. You’re better off with a granola munching osprey pack than a stone glacier.

Maybe you guys do longer duration backpack style hunts than me but I’ll never let a hunting buddy bring a SG on a hunt if there’s serious packing to be done. Full disclosure I know the owner of SG and still will not wear them.

Stone glacier packs are junk. You want to sell something in the hunting industry put a ram logo on it. You’re better off with a granola munching osprey pack than a stone glacier.

Maybe you guys do longer duration backpack style hunts than me but I’ll never let a hunting buddy bring a SG on a hunt if there’s serious packing to be done. Full disclosure I know the owner of SG and still will not wear them.
SS
What pack do you run on most of your backpacking hunt trips?

FDB96513-7DE2-4612-9D93-73C64C882395.jpeg
I use a Barney’s pack. Every time. I’ve tried the best packs out there. I don’t want **** breaking 15 miles back. A SG pack will.

I have been impressed with the mystery ranch design and ability to pack meat. I have sent my kids down the mountain with a quarter on one of those popups several times now. They work well.

I would agree that it's tough to beat Kifaru, Barneys, and Stone Glacier. SS's post is one of the first negatives I have ever seen about SG? I have a couple Kifaru bags and frames....boy are they ever nice and comfortable! As I grow old comfort and ability/ease to pack extreme loads becomes more and more important.

There are lots of bag and accessory options for Kifaru. It's also nice having a Kifaru frame that is built around your particular torso length, weight, etc. I hardly ever see any Kifaru complaints. I have run mine through the ringer in Alaska, Colo, Utah, and Wyo....and it's far and away my favorite. I would like to try a Barneys sometime just to compare them. I know a lot of Alaska guys rave about Barneys.

I have been using a Seek Outside revolution frame with several different bags the last few years. It’s the most comfortable and versatile pack I’ve used in the 45 years I’ve been carrying packs.
It is also 100% made in the United States in Junction, Colorado. The Xpac and Cordura fabrics used are USA sourced. Spectragrid fabric is Asian, only place it is manufactured.

Seek Outside should be in the conversation.

Last edited:
I've had an old aluminum freighter, MR, Kifaru, and stone glacier.
I have friends with kuiu and exo, you couldn't give me one of those. The Mr was heavy and sat way too low. Kifaru is OK but I want an integrated load sling. I hauled this years elk out in 2 trips on the stone glacier; it hurt damn near as bad as that old aluminum freighter. Not sure what I'll have next year.

If you buy a seek outside be sure to bring lots of zip ties. It helps keep their packs together once they start falling apart.

Lots of my friends use kifaru with minimal complaints. Kifaru kicks out a new pack every week so they’ve had a lot of failures in recent years. Doubt there’s more than a handful of bikini frames left. Horrible design. Also ask them about their warranty. It will surprise you. Since kifaru has been taken over by Aron the quality has went down. If you can find a gen 1 or gen 2 back buy it. You will love it.

A lot of pack complaints are due to guys wearing them wrong. I would say 90% of the pack out pics I see posted the pack is not sitting correctly. It doesn’t really matter where 90% of the pack outs are only a few miles. But it does matter when it’s double digit pack outs.

Of course everything above is just my opinion.

It’s always useful to have one know-it-all on a forum. How the heck did you gain some much knowledge?

It’s always useful to have one know-it-all on a forum. How the heck did you gain some much knowledge?
Don’t let your feelings get hurt cuz someone doesn’t like the brand of gear you use. Be better than that. There’s a reason why guides and outfitters don’t use seek outside packs. They can’t even make a shelter that doesn’t condensate, they are going to make a pack that doesn’t break?

You’re not hauling out your gear for 10 days, meat and skull in one pack out with a seek outside pack. Not unless you have 478 zip ties. Fact.
E2BCD698-AA9B-4E8E-AEFB-7B9F6D5138B9.jpeg

SS, I’m not sure if you and others are aware that kifaru makes 2 frames. The current Duplex “tactical” is a solid backed frame and the Duplex "lite" or old "bikini" has 2 panels with nothing in the middle.

One of the few complaints I've heard is about the lite or bikini frame not being as rigid as the solid tactical frame for hauling hefty bulky loads. I have an old Duplex with solid frame but it is a "short". My only complaint about the short model is that the load lifters are so low that they barely help. I just bought a new tactical long torso frame with high load lifters. I'm hoping that it works a little better for hefty loads.

I haven't ever tried Seek Outside but there are a few followers that like their packs. It is lighter weight than a lot of packs which could be good or bad? I looked at the Seek Outside website and it looks like the larger Seek Outside frame's belt and shoulder straps are super thin. Just looking at them they don't seem like they would have very much padding for ultra-heavy loads? I have nothing to support this but just an observation? Padded belt, lumbar support, and shoulder straps is what I believe are just one of Kifaru's strong suites....

SS, I’m not sure if you and others are aware that kifaru makes 2 frames. The current Duplex “tactical” is a solid backed frame and the Duplex "lite" or old "bikini" has 2 panels with nothing in the middle.

One of the few complaints I've heard is about the lite or bikini frame not being as rigid as the solid tactical frame for hauling hefty bulky loads. I have an old Duplex with solid frame but it is a "short". My only complaint about the short model is that the load lifters are so low that they barely help. I just bought a new tactical long torso frame with high load lifters. I'm hoping that it works a little better for hefty loads.

I haven't ever tried Seek Outside but there are a few followers that like their packs. It is lighter weight than a lot of packs which could be good or bad? I looked at the Seek Outside website and it looks like the larger Seek Outside frame's belt and shoulder straps are super thin. Just looking at them they don't seem like they would have very much padding for ultra-heavy loads? I have nothing to support this but just an observation? Padded belt, lumbar support, and shoulder straps is what I believe are just one of Kifaru's strong suites....
Jims I’ll never give you any respect by answering any questions you ask because you never answer questions directed towards you but yes the duplex frame by kifaru is a great frame. You can’t go wrong with it that’s for sure.

You have sparked my curiosity, which parts of a Seek pack break regularly and how would a zip tie fix it?

Connections to the hip belt. Literally had a friend burn through my zip tie stash on a day hike.

Thanks for your reply, I’ve been at my Mom’s but I’m dieing to get home and stare at the belt on my pack.

i have used a Slumberjack rail hauler for 5 years with no complaints. very bare bones frame that i strap a 60 L rei bag to contain everything. Nice padded hip belt and shoulder straps that excells with a heavy load of meat strapped in it! around $200 a few years ago, probably around 250 now.
Friend has an old Kelty rail hauler that is very similar- bare bones frame that feels pretty good with a full load.

If you haven't decided yet, I'd definitely look at Seek Outside. By far the best pack I've ever worn--especially under heavy loads. Just finished my 4th season with mine and haven't had any issues with it whatsoever. My opinion is that you probably can't go wrong with any of the higher end packs on the market today (EXO, Stone Glacier, Seek Outside, Initial Ascent, etc.). For me, Seek Outside checked off the most boxes, and here is why I decided to pull the trigger on them:

I did a ton of reading, watching videos and research on all of the different pack brands. I called in and emailed each company and drilled them with questions. The two main things I was looking for was a pack that was lightweight and could handle a heavy load really well.

What pushed me over the top on Seek Outside was the following:

1. Lightweight. Starting at sub 3lbs, all their packs are sub 5lbs.

2. The fabric they make their packs out of (X-Pac) is a premium, durable AND waterproof material. This means no need for a pack cover when it rains and no blood stains with easy washing. You can actually take the bag off the frame and hand wash it or throw it in a front load machine if you want.

3. Their suspension system/frame. Instead of using the same frame idea that is already out on the market and trying to improve it like most pack companies out there, they started over from the ground up doing their own system. The frames are very well built...they can support 300lbs in vertical load yet weigh only 6oz. They are also very versatile in that you can have multiple pack bags and switch between smaller and larger packs if needed. I ended up doing a custom build and took certain things I liked from a couple different pack bags. But, it's nice to know I could just buy a different pack bag and switch it out if needed.

4. Adjustable frame height. 24, 26 or 28" frame height. Having the ability to adjust your frame to be taller if you get an animal down makes the pack out easier.

5. Very configurable. Not only are they good for hunting, but you could use them for backpacking, pack-rafting, ski mountaineering, etc.

6. Excellent customer service. They have treated me very well and are super nice and helpful.

7. Made in the USA.

Just my two cents. Again, I don't think you could go wrong with any of the other packs I mentioned above. I think they are all great. Seek Outside just checked off the most boxes for me and what I was after. I've been very pleased with my decision so far.

You said Meat Pack, this one has been around for quite some time. I have never used it but would like to know how it works, if any one has tried it,
48738B14-5933-4D25-9C73-320B7C6E5D53.png
CF5AE4C6-FF49-47A1-944B-B1FABA146C36.png
CF5AE4C6-FF49-47A1-944B-B1FABA146C36.png
Made in Idaho.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom