Hunting no taboo for bird watcher

A

AntlerKing

This is one good business owner; I would shop at Wild Bird Center. Right on Fenimore.

Hunting no taboo for bird watcher

By Brett Prettyman
The Salt Lake Tribune

LAYTON -- The last thing customers at the Wild Bird Center in Layton see after purchasing seeds or binoculars is a Ducks Unlimited (DU) sticker on the side of the cash register.
Those inclined to ask are often surprised to hear DU is one of the nation's largest hunting groups. But a sticker for a waterfowl hunting organization in a bird watching store?
"Some people said I shouldn't let the customers know that I hunt; that it would be bad for business," said Bill Fenimore, who opened the store two years ago. "But you have to stand on your principles. . . . I love birds and waterfowl. I love to see them, to take pictures of them and sometimes, I like them in orange sauce."
Fenimore, who moved to Farmington in 1986, leads groups on birding trips one day and returns the next carrying a shotgun and duck call.
He honed his passion for hunting while growing up in rural Pennsylvania and riding a public bus to the edge of town with a shotgun in his arms.
In addition to waterfowl, Fenimore hunts deer, elk, upland birds and turkey. While he can't explain why some people enjoy hunting and others despise it, he believes there is room for both in the marshes, on the mountains and in the valleys.

"We come from a food gathering type of evolution," he said. "I suspect that folks like me who love to be out there still have some of those genes percolating in our system."

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom