Hunting Quotes

Here's my favorite...

"To him who has once tasted the reckless independence, the haughty self-reliance, the sense of irresponsible freedom, which the forest life engenders, civilization thenceforth seems flat and stale. It's pleasures are insipid, its pursuits wearisome, its conventionalities, duties and mutual dependence alike tedious and disgusting?The wilderness, rough, harsh, and inexorable, has charms more potent in their seductive influence than all the lures of luxury and sloth. And often he on whom it has cast its magic finds no heart to dissolve the spell, and remains a wanderer and an Ishmaelite to the hour of his death."

-Francis Parkman

mine is something my dad said to me this year when I shot my first Elk as soon as he got to where I was at and saw the elk.....he sad (What'd ya do!)or else what one of my uncles said to me "why'd ya have to go do that". kinda lame but they made me chuckle.

?Women never look so well as when one comes in wet and dirty from hunting.?
Surtees Mr Sponges Sporting Tour (1853)

"No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often."
Teddy Roosevelt

"Whack 'em, stack 'em and pack 'em."
Ted Nugent, rock star.

whenever someone asks"where did you shoot that buck?" i answer"right in the middle"
"lost no i've never been lost been a parcle confused for a month or two. can't say i've ever been lost." jaramia johnson
also same show "elk can't count" or "can you skin a bear pilgrum skin this bear." good old show wish i was a old trapper.

How about Everyones favourite....
"You can't eat the horns ! x("
Actually I hate that !;-)
"BC" Will

My personal favorite..

"Ask my uncle what he saw that made him go to the toolbox."

My favorite hunting quote is one my dad always used to wake me up when we went hunting. I use it on my kids and my grandfather used it on my dad. It goes like this:

WAKE UP, JACOB,
JOHNNY SHOT A BEAR
SHOT HIM IN THE A$$HOLE
AND NEVER TOUCHED A HAIR!

That always reminds me of my early hunting days and good memories with my dad, who is now in the happy hunting grounds.

Jim

From my Dad- MAY HE REST IN PEACE

"DON'T SHOOT IT UNLESS YOU ARE GOING TO EAT IT"

"IF YOU NEED MORE THEN ONE SHOT YOU DON'T NEED TO BE HUNTING"

"TAKE WHAT YOU CAN EAT & YOU ALWAYS LEAVE SOME FOR ANOTHER DAY"

Here's one my Grandpa used to sing:

On top of Ol' Smokey, all covered with grass.

There sat a Bald Eagle...A scratchin' his.....

Now don't be all worried, and don't be alarmed.

For that Old Eagle...was a scratchin' his arm.

the following are the words that came from my mouth the instant my first muley hit the ground. i was 12 years old, it was a doe on a late hunt, it was friggin' COLD and WINDY, there was a foot of snow on the ground, my dad (neatnick that he is) picked up my gloves while i lay prone in the snow and took forever to make the shot. i shot once and dropped her, then said, "got her, now give me my gloves!". i didn't mean any disrespect to the doe, i just couldn't feel my hands any more and that's all i could think about!

another one is from my bro in law on an elk hunt, "it had better be a monster for you to shoot it way back in here!".

berto

This isn't mine... it's a tag line I saw from a bear hunter's post... but it made me laugh out loud!

If its brown its down!
One shot, one kill, 29 more for the thrill.

Jesse

Before we leave for our separate stands to hunt:
"Straight Bullets..."

Reserved for the last weekend when you still have Doe tags:
"If it's Brown, it's Down"

When someone shoots a small deer:
"You shot BAAAAAAmbi" pronounced like a sheep's BAAAA.

I also like the "Wack 'em & Stack 'em"

Tim

Shortly after dropping an Elk...
"The road is HOW many miles away?!!!"

While looking at a hillside covered in Oakbrush that you desperately want to hunt...
"I'm going to need a new change of clothes after that brush tears mine from my body"

My mom always used to say, "Remember who you are", as we left each morning, in oreder to remind us to have a positive mental attitute which can save your life in a bad situation.

For us archers..."Stick a good one."

One of my dads favorite saying after we shot something and when we first arrived at the kill was, "That thing is as dead as a can of corned beef"

or another one was when we were home and frying up a steak, he would say, " thats so good my tougue chased that all the way to my a$$hole"

Cheers and happy Halloween, Ramchaser

My favorite hunting qoute/lines are these ones, only because I have had it said to me several times.

These always arrive on the best but last part of your hunt. Blood pumping and set on shooting the buck 200-300 yards across the canyon in some devilish steep country, but then your hunting partner interupts with one of these.......

" You'll never be able to pack that damn thing out, and I aint helping!"

" You know that, if you shoot'em, your going to have to eat that damn thing out!!"

" That will take 10 years off my life."

later, M_P

"If you love something set it free. If it doesn't come back...., Hunt it down and kill it!!!!!"

"We aren't gonna see/shoot anything sitting around wasting time here" (home, camp, truck, etc...)

LAST EDITED ON Nov-01-03 AT 10:47AM (MST)[p]I'm going with the "Aim small/miss small" quote from Mel Gibson in the movie "The Patriot". Remembering that one helps me to focus when I'm trying to focus.....helps settle the shakes and gives better bullet placement I think.

Or, a classic from Deerking when you're walking with him and looking up a nasty mountain he wants to get to the top of....

"You're a lean mean hiking machine" (as he sits there smiling without a bit of sweat goin on) or
"That ain't a mountain, that's just a hill....the mountain we want is after the next couple hills":)
(OK, I made that last one up, but I could see DK using that one for sure......)

When we were young kids the first shot got to be real tough to get. Had an uncle that would shoot his gun off right at the time one of us kids would shoot, then he'd say "if it ain't got two holes in it, you missed"

JB

Here are several:

"Dropped his ##### in the dirt"

"Sheep meat is to be eaten by sheep hunters in sheep camp"

"Even where there are lots of them there ain't very many"
(talkin about 30" mule deer)

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Whenever I return from a hunting trip and somebody asks me what I saw, They usually say "well why didn't you kill it?" my simple reply "seein' em and killin' em are two entirely different things"

CHESTER

Here are a few good ones I heard and liked:

"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian!"

"If we aren't meant to eat animals, then why are they made of meat?"

Wilecoyote76

When I knocked down a nice bull that was about 6 miles from the road and straight up a stinking canyon, my hunting buddy said, "what the f- are we gonna do now?"
I also like:
Shoot it, we'll figure how to get it out later.
You shot what, where?
Let the air out of em'!
Did ya git him? Yep, deadder than a fart!
You aint gonna shoot one with your lazy a$$ in camp!
And my favorites, every time my hunting buddy Myron knocks one down he goes into a little dance and starts yelling "HOLY BALLS, WHAT DID I DO!!!!"
I guess that you would have to be there.
Eric

jolly_roger_a1a.gif

Bird-01.gif

"Time to act like Horseshit and hit the trail"

"When the lead is flying things iza dying"

Name for my rifle - "AT&T - Reach out and touch someone"

Wake up call"Daylight in the swamps" When asked where'd you get'em at. "Up on the Ridge" Dad's saying " Keep your nose to the wind, powder dry, and shoot straight" Also a saying from Jeremiah Johnson"Watch your top knot"

Happy trails

Ridge Runner

"Elk Don't Know How Many Feet A Horse Has!"

-Jerimiah Johnson (the movie)

-Cass

Your not gonna shoot those ducks swimin on the water are ya? No I'll wait till they stop. For the archers- when in doubt quiver out. My hunting mentor who was about 70 when I was a kid gave me these words of wisdom, hunt 2/3 of the way up the mountain, don't spend much time in the pine woods and never hold over there back bone on the first shot.

From a newspaper in the western U.S.:

It's not that people are totally ignorant of fish and wildlife issues, it's just that they know a lot of things that are not true.

If its brown its down
If it flys it dies
If it tast good eat it?
If it smells bad dont

"HAPPYNESS IS A BIG GUT PILE"!(UNKNOWN).
And one time ran into a poor bastard that I thought was going duck hunting on a state refuge he said he was not a hunter with a gun but that he was "just looking for road kill"!
RABBITS AND PHEASENT (He had 9 rabbits 4 birds all splattred in his trunk awful really awful).

"I like to feed my family the purest of Proteins"
"the beast is dead, long live the beast"
The Man
Ted Nugent

-Cass

Fellow i used to hunt with once went to the local sporting goods store looking for a larger clip for his rifle. The little chinese gentleman asked him how many his clip held? He replied that it held 4 but he wanted one that would hold eight. The little chinese fellow looked very puzzled then with a very thick accent replied

"if he not dead in 4 shots.....LET HIM LIVE!!!"

I laughed my arse off for hours!!! And we still give him greif about it!

Chris

In response to seeing a lot of sign.

"Track soup is mighty thin."

In response to seeing a deer.

"When you say IT'S A BUCK, I will get excited."

Marc

This is a great post - got me laughing quite a bit. This one is used by a hunting partner that is just not a good shot - his kills are lessons in persistance rather than accuracy. He always says -

"When there is lead in the air, there is hope in the heart"

My personal favorite comes from my wife. After the first several unsuccessful trips she quite asking "Do you get anything?" Now, the first thing she asks when I get home -

"Did you have fun?"

Also - WapitiSlayer - The quote "Remember who you are" has been modified in my house a little over the years. It is now -

"Remember who you are...but don't let it get you down"

And, Chris (Willyqbc), that "Let him Live" quote made me cry from laughing so hard.

"I'm so excited, it's my favorite time of year, I like to freeze my buns chasing trophy deer!"

-Da Yoopers

I think one that gets used every year with my family is
" better take your fryin' pan if you're gonna shoot one down in there".
and my Dad always said "if ya think you're goin' to slow...slow down" as in going through timber or still hunting.

I'll have to agree....the "if he ain't dead in 4 shots...let him live" is gonna get passed around quite a bit. Funny stuff.

This is my favorite quote. It's hunting,just a different kind.

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else."
Ernest Hemmingway

Ya can't kill 'em where they aint. (my uncle's response to lazy hunters)

Can't figure them people down there feedin' on hog when they could be up here feedin' on elk (BearPaw Chris Lapp in Jeremiah johnson)

Hunting: Irrational behavior caused by gene inherited from very primitive ancestors. This gene shuts down cognitive skills in favor of destructive impluses. The action of the gene is greatly enhanced by fresh air, male bonding, testosterone, gun powder or other explosive nitrogen compounds, and/or ethanol. There is no cure, but it can be force moderated by female partners of the afflicted. This gene is closely related to the golf gene.

Hawkeye

Any line from that killer movie yall are quoting "Jeremiah Johnson" but one of my favorites
"Indian's put ya there?" "Tweren't Mormans"

Monty Python Holy Grail: "It's just a little bunny rabbit"

When I get back from hunting & someone asks, "Did ya catch anything?" "No, I didn't go fishing"

I have another favorite saying I use quite a bit. I call it the three 8's of hunting/guiding. They are:

ELEVATE
LOCATE
ASSASSINATE

If you follow those three 8's, you'll have better luck when hunting.

I like the one about the little chinese guy and 4 bullets and letting them live! I'll always remember Daddy holding up a finger each time he heard a gunshot in the distance, he'd whisper and do an indian-like impression while we were sitting in the brush....

1 shot 1 deer
2 shot maybe deer
3 shot no deer

My Uncle used to say and gesture the same thing, so they must have heard it growing up also. Thanks guys for stirring up the memories!

Hasta la Vista
LngTLLTxn

Ok, I stole this one from CMC but it's my favorite:

There is always room for God's wild creatures.... right next to the green beans and mashed potatoes.

KP

I always tell my dad when we go hunting

"Pa you move in 2 speeds, STOP and STUMBLE"

I was gonna say one but someone already put it but im going to put it again

"As long as there is lead in the air, there is still hope"

and to anyone that laughs at that all I have to say is you are full of #@$# and OBVIOUSLY not shooting at big enough animals, either of those or your shooting your animals on a private field where they are basically TAME!

"The hunter's horn sounds early for some, later for others. For some unfortunates, prisoned by city sidewalks, the horn of the hunter never winds at all... It seems to me I heard the hunter's horn earlier than most." -Robert Ruark

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom