Hunting Rifle Setup for $1500

smarkh

I am building my first big game hunting rifle that I would like to use for deer and maybe elk in the future. I have a budget of $1500 for the rifle, optics, and rings. I would love some input from experienced hunters on a good setup in this price range. I have considered rifles such as the Bergara B-14 series like the wilderness ridge or the HMR, the Tikka Tx3 lite and ctr, Weatherby Vanguard in a few different configurations, Savage lightweight storm, and Ruger American Hunter. For Optics I have considered the Vortex Diamondback 4-16, Sig Tango 4-16, and the Vortex Viper. I have narrowed it down to wanting a .308 Winchester caliber though due to the energy and not anticipating taking shots beyond 400 yards.

I think that all of these options have some great positives to them and I am just having trouble making the final decision on all of the setup, mostly due to inexperience. If anyone has any suggestions on guns or scopes that would fit in this price range, I would appreciate your input.

I've had nothing but good accuracy out of my Vanguards. Savage's seem to be too heavy for my taste. Tikka or the Vanguard for sure. I'd go higher magnification on the scope, the sig tango 4 6-24, or an Athlon upper model. Being able to see the bullseye like a pie plate is the most important change I've made to my accuracy.

For what you're wanting, I'd go with the Tikka and a VX3 3.5-10 CDS. Find the best ammo for the rifle and buy a bunch of it. You'll be good out to 400 yards on deer and elk with ease. This rig will take you right to the limits of your budget but will be well worth it. --------SS
^^This. You really want to top your rifle with a Leupold scope. I'm sure you heard that Vortex has a great warranty. It's the same as Leupold's warranty. The big difference is you won't need the warranty with Leupold. Remember, your scope will not fail in the safe.

Just to stir the pot a little, most of the rifles you mentioned I would be happy to have. I have Leupold and Vortex scopes on my hunting rifles and like them both. Why not go with. 30-06 over the .308. For what is worth I would prefer the 06 over the .308 for more versatility. I do think you can end up with a very capable rifle for 95% of hunting situation for your budget. Good luck

Gonna piss alot of old folks off with this but i dont care.

lots better options than a junky Leupold they have and will fail!

I'm not on the vortex ban wagon iether.

Call Doug or Neil at cameralandny.com they will get you setup!
No reason anyone should be offended by the experience of another. I just feel lucky that none of the 40+ Leupold scopes I own have ever given me a bit of trouble. The oldest are 35 years old now. My next one might be a POS but it hasn't happened yet.
In my experience, there is no finer all around hunting scope and the folks in Oregon at the custom shop have been pretty good to work with over the years.----SS

Look at the Trijicon sales on euro optics. The credo 4-16 or 2.5-10 are both great scopes, will track as they’re suppose to, return to zero and they’re made in Japan. I wouldn’t buy a vortex unless it was a razor, have had to send back a viper HST, PST and Diamondback. One messed up during a hunt. Never again.
The Tikka T3x and Bergara hunter are both shooters. If you like the 700 platform, go with the Bergara. The Tikka will have a smooth action, will shoot great. Just add a MCarbo trigger spring kit if the trigger pull is too heavy.

I own a Savage Hunter in a 6.5 284 Norma. It’s accurate but, it’s too heavy and the action is the loosest sloppiest of any rifle I’ve ever touched. For that reason I wouldn’t buy another Savage.

I really like the Tikka Lite 3x that I bought two years ago. Good shooter and smooth.

For the scope, As per horrnkiller:
“Call Doug or Neil at cameralandny.com they will get you setup!”

$1,500 should work well unless you’re going for a top shelf scope, in the thousands.

^^This. You really want to top your rifle with a Leupold scope. I'm sure you heard that Vortex has a great warranty. It's the same as Leupold's warranty. The big difference is you won't need the warranty with Leupold. Remember, your scope will not fail in the safe.
Plenty of people have needed the Leupold warranty.

Don’t over a SWFA 3-9 or Nightforce SHV 3-10 especially if you plan on dialing much. You can find them used for pretty good deals sometimes.
The Tikka is probably the best choice for your budget.

I had owned my Leupold Wind Rivers for about 8 years and one eyepiece wouldn't get into focus. Sent back and they fixed it.

First year I had my Vortex binos, the right eyecup started to come off. I had to electrical tape it until I could send it in the Vortex. Got it back fixed.

Sh!t happens so it's good that these companies have good warranty's.

I've used the same Leupold scope, VariX II, for 20-some odd years and never have I had an issue.

I appreciate everyone's input and experience on this, it has been immensley helpful. I have narrowed it down to 3 guns I think, the Tikka T3x CTR, Bergara B14 HMR, or the Ruger American Hunter.

I can get the Tikka and the Begara for about $800, the Tikka for about $900, and the Ruger for about $700.

The Bergara because of its great accuracy, but is a little heavy.

The Tikka because it has a great action and accuracy and is slightly lighter, but is the most expensive of all them.

And the Ruger because it is a great value, and I have seen good things about the magpul hunter stock.

I will make the decision on the firearm based on availability and cost vs. benefit

Depending on the final decision on the rifle I will have around $500-$700 for a scope, given sales tax...

It seems like there is a lot of disagreement around Leupold optics as far as their quality, but there does seem to be some concensus aobut Vortex optics being unreliable. I have owned a few and not had any negative experience with them. But I have also not ever taken them treking in the mountains, they have only really been used for target shooting.

So taking into account everything you all have said I have updated my list of optics that I am considering to the following:

- Leupold VX3 - $500
- Athlon Helos - $600
- Sig tango 4 - $600
- Burris Signature HD - $600

These combinations should stay in budget too.

If you’re not afraid to buy used, you can pick up a great scope at a good price on some of these hunting forums. Someone had a NF SHV 4-14x56 for like 650 shipped yesterday on rokslide

With regard to comments about Leopold scopes...I have a dozen Leopold scopes and one Leopold spotting scope. Never had a problem except for losing turret caps and watching my spotting scope fly out of my backpack as it rolled off the side of Wyoming Peak and cracked a rock. Leopold took care of these mistakes, no problem.

Being that you don’t plan on shooting over 400 yards I wouldn’t get to worried about going crazy on the scope. Something like a 3-9 or 3-12 is all you need. I’m not a big fan of the leupold cds system if you plan on hunting all over the country with changing atmospheric conditions. It’s good enough to 400 yards or so but it’s far from perfect when you start stretching them out.

I second Ruger American. I bought. 30 06 in 2015 and have been very happy. Lightweight and reliable. I WILL caution you to vigorously clean the plastic magazine and lube with a lightweight oil. It got real sticky in low Temps first year I hunted with it. Got a backup (when I complained ) that I keep in pants pocket.
I ve been using a Nikon prostaff scope, looking to upgrade and will look at Burris scopes. Seem to be good budget scopes. This rifle is mainly for elk as I deer hunt with muzzleloader

The Leupold of late is absolutely not the Leupold of years ago. I used to be their biggest fan. They are now junk. Don’t believe me, just google it. Same category as Vortex. Both have a great warranty that is well marketed, producing a product that lacks robust engineering or genuine QC. FWIW, I’d put a lot of Euro alpha glass in this same category too. Just because it looks amazing when you peer through it, doesn’t mean it’s worth a darn mechanically. Most scopes aren’t.

Op, I’ll make this easy on you. Buy a basic Tikka T3 and put a Nightforce SHV, Trijicon Credo/Accupoint/Tenmile or SWFA 3-9 on it.

Honestly, most hunters are a terrible indicators of scope reliability. Most simply don’t shoot enough. Most also can’t shoot well enough to be able to identify a problem either. Most grab a box of whatever off the shelf, pop a couple shots off just before the season and call it good. They wouldn’t or couldn’t spot a scope failure so they think their Leupolds and Vortexes are just dandy. Find the guys who use and abuse their shooting equipment. I’m talking about thousands of rounds and dudes who do not baby their set ups. Hint, you’ll see a lot of Nightforces.

And before anybody says it… yes they weigh more. That’s what it takes to make a durable and reliable scope.

I’ve owned Tikka, CA, ruger, savage, browning. Best at price point is Tikka followed closely by ruger ( my ruger American predator is great) but the quality and fit and finish of tikka blows it away. The tikka was 1.2k less than the CA and with a yo Dave trigger spring, and upgraded butt pad is a better rifle. My tikka is a .308 roughtech. But the standard T3x are awesome. I have heard good things about Bergara, and franchi momentum but never tried them. At your price point a .308 ruger American predator, tikka, franchi with a solid 3-9 scope will serve you really well.

Lots of combo options could turn out great. The decision to go .308 is the headscratcher for me. If all the people that replied to this thread had to build a new deer/elk gun and that would be their only deer/elk for the rest of their lives, I wonder how many would make it a .308? 1-2% ???

Never had a problem with any Leopold products. I also would have no problem putting a Vortex on a varmint gun but no way in hell on my big game rifle.

Ruger American predator. 3-9 Burris fullfield II. 50 pieces of Lapua brass, a brick of CCI 200’s, a pound of varget, and some 150 grain partitions. Set forth and fill an ark with all the chit you kill.

Not me. I have one on all my rifles, except for one Swarovski that was given to me. Leupolds are the best scope for your money in my opinion.
I didn’t have problems with the older leupold scopes but the newer vx3 and vx5 I’ve had tracking issues, loss of zero and return to zero issues and know plenty of others that have also.
For a set and forget scope they aren’t a terrible choice. Certainly choose one over a Vortex.

WARNING!

I Had a LEUPOLD Fail Me Once!

I Beat The Piss Out Of The Gun & Scope For 20+ Years & The Front Eye piece With Collar Flew Off The Gun As The Trigger Was Pulled!

I Sent It Back To LEUPOLD & A Week Later I Had A BRAND NEW Scope sitting at The Front Door!

I've Had Guys Say:

They Didn't Owe You A New Scope!

And I F'N Surely Never Asked For One Neither!

Lots of combo options could turn out great. The decision to go .308 is the headscratcher for me. If all the people that replied to this thread had to build a new deer/elk gun and that would be their only deer/elk for the rest of their lives, I wonder how many would make it a .308? 1-2% ???
Ridiculous statement. Those who know, and consider all variables, would put a .308 at the top of the list. There’s literally NOTHING not to like.

might as well get a 30-06

any savage storm reviews??

leupold scopes on my grandpas .270 and the things still zeroed since 1972. and it was a brush gun so it’s had a rough life. with weaver folding scope mounts at that!

Leupold fans…. Try this on for size. Just go to a few other forums like Rokslide, Snipers Hide, Long Range Only, Long Range Hunting or 24hrCampfire and search “Leupold reliability”. You may be surprised.

I went from a 7mm mag or 300 win back to a .308, call me crazy but I have a boat load of ammo, it’s easy to find, it recoils like a .223 with my can on it, and i won’t shoot over 600 yards while hunting. Definitely not competing with my magnums, but it’s a tack driver. It’s all about personal preference with different calibers/ rifles. I shoot it great and at the end of the day that is what really matters most. I’ll get back in the supped up game soon enough I’m sure with a 300 prc or 7prc, but .308 has stood the test of time

Leupold fans…. Try this on for size. Just go to a few other forums like Rokslide, Snipers Hide, Long Range Only, Long Range Hunting or 24hrCampfire and search “Leupold reliability”. You may be surprised.
As a guy who owns several leupolds… in the future I will be buying trijicon, or NF for rifle optics.

Buy what ya feels right to you. So many hunters with different reviews and experiences. I will say spend the money on good solid scope rings. I have several vortex vipers and pst scopes.. Both put on horses beat to hell and zero issues and those trips include some good horse wrecks. I agree older leupold I have had issues. Cant speak on the new ones. For years I used a $300 burris full feild with zero issues, bought when I was younger and put it on a .300 mag and used it for 15 years.

Most of us here have just found what works for us. It's like choosing ford,Ford, or chevy.

Don’t need to look at other sites, mine have been flawless for over 35 yrs

Don’t need to look at other sites, mine have been flawless for over 35 yrs
That used to be me. I said the same things. Then I started demanding more from my scopes, dialing for distance, shooting more, insisting on a firm zero. As I did, I realized how they fell short, on a few occasions. I learned and moved on.

I wish you continued good luck with yours. I only made that comment about searching other sites to see that I am not alone. My experience is not unique.

That used to be me. I said the same things. Then I started demanding more from my scopes, dialing for distance, shooting more, insisting on a firm zero. As I did, I realized how they fell short, on a few occasions. I learned and moved on.

I wish you continued good luck with yours. I only made that comment about searching other sites to see that I am not alone. My experience is not unique.
I will say I don’t dial my scopes so maybe that’s part of why I don’t have issues. My eyes just aren’t like they use to be so I limit my shots to 400 yds and under.

Pretty much the same for me. I have dialed and killed critters with a leupold but have since found a better setup for myself personally.

Have Leupolds on all my rifles for over 40 years. Only one I sent back was to see if they could repair after it got damaged when a horse fell with it in scabbard. They sent me a new scope.
Yes. They HAD a great history. Times change. Today’s Leupold is not the Leupold of old. Totally different ownership. Totally different business strategy. Totally different product. Do your own research before you decide to buy a new one. Don’t be sold only because of prior reputation.

Yes. They HAD a great history. Times change. Today’s Leupold is not the Leupold of old. Totally different ownership. Totally different business strategy. Totally different product. Do your own research before you decide to buy a new one. Don’t be sold only because of prior reputation.
Every scope manufacturer has a budget line , stay away from the el cheapo line and imo your good ,

Price has little to do with it.

A $400 SWFA is generally far more reliable than a $2000 Leupold.
Funny I have bought into the Swfa hype, I want to get one, but they never seem in stock… I also encountered a thread where guys were talking about having issues holding zero with those too and a hard time getting them back once they were in for warranty. I still want one, but it made me wonder

Sub MOA with factory Hornady ammunition.

Here is my Bergara and Franchi six fives

Screenshot_20230131_121326_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Funny I have bought into the Swfa hype, I want to get one, but they never seem in stock… I also encountered a thread where guys were talking about having issues holding zero with those too and a hard time getting them back once they were in for warranty. I still want one, but it made me wonder
You aren’t wrong. I certainly am not aware of any zero retention issues, but they definitely can be hard to obtain. If one can cough up the extra $500, the NF SHV is an excellent option.

It needs a cheek piece, absolutely.
I've got one, just need to install it.
That's a Nightforce NXS
Never a bad choice in scope! Looks like you could get away with lower rings on there too. Assuming that’s a 50mm bell, with a rail and a sporter barrel, you should be able to get away with low rings. Then you may not need the cheek piece. Or less of one.

Never a bad choice in scope! Looks like you could get away with lower rings on there too. Assuming that’s a 50mm bell, with a rail and a sporter barrel, you should be able to get away with low rings. Then you may not need the cheek piece. Or less of one.
56mm Objective

Sounds like he should by a used Leupold with a little milage on it then! ?

If it were me, based on what you are looking at, I would go with a Tikka with a Leupold VX3 or Zeiss V4. Tikkas are great base rifles. I have owned several and all have shot very well. Smooth action, good trigger, and light weight. I have several Leupold scopes and all have been great. I did send one back for issues, but it was 30 years old and they fixed it with no questions. I also use Zeiss and Nightforce scopes. Based on your budget the Zeiss would be a better fit. The V4 is a good scope that I have had no problems with after 5 years. Look at Redhawk rifles, they normally have Zeiss optics that are floor models for a lot less.

You've gone dark on this thread and may have already made the purchase but I'll add my .02 anyway.

All good options you've listed and others have been thrown in.

Of those I'd pick the Tikka. It's a known shooter out of the box with a 1 MOA accuracy guarantee. I can validate that they not only stand behind it but I received an upgrade of nearly twice the value due to product availability.
Next with the Tikka is an abundant amount of aftermarket products for upgrades in the future should you decide to go that route. One unique one is pre-fit barrels. I think the only other factory rifle with pre-fit custom barrels is Savage (another good option).

Scopes at your range expectations is a wide open field but I wouldn't argue against a Leupy or even a Vortex in the PST II line. Both have served me well through the years. The Sig, Burris and Trigicon are all good scopes as well. I don't know what started the hate for Luepold in recent years but they can and all will have failures.

I would personally go with the savage model 110 ultra light rifle. I have read many reports that say this gun is a tack driver. The scope I would use would probably be the vortex PST line of scopes

I agree the savage ultra-light is a whole lot of rifle for the money although that stock leaves a little to be desired.
Trouble is that would blow the ops budget.

Having said that OP, if you have a scope laying around that would work you could always upgrade it later... ?

I would personally go with the savage model 110 ultra light rifle. I have read many reports that say this gun is a tack driver. The scope I would use would probably be the vortex PST line of scopes
I have a savage 110 .204 and it is definitely a tack driver.
I never use it so I’m thinking of selling it.

I appreciate everyone's input and experience on this, it has been immensley helpful. I have narrowed it down to 3 guns I think, the Tikka T3x CTR, Bergara B14 HMR, or the Ruger American Hunter.

I can get the Tikka and the Begara for about $800, the Tikka for about $900, and the Ruger for about $700.

The Bergara because of its great accuracy, but is a little heavy.

The Tikka because it has a great action and accuracy and is slightly lighter, but is the most expensive of all them.

And the Ruger because it is a great value, and I have seen good things about the magpul hunter stock.

I will make the decision on the firearm based on availability and cost vs. benefit

Depending on the final decision on the rifle I will have around $500-$700 for a scope, given sales tax...

It seems like there is a lot of disagreement around Leupold optics as far as their quality, but there does seem to be some concensus aobut Vortex optics being unreliable. I have owned a few and not had any negative experience with them. But I have also not ever taken them treking in the mountains, they have only really been used for target shooting.

So taking into account everything you all have said I have updated my list of optics that I am considering to the following:

- Leupold VX3 - $500
- Athlon Helos - $600
- Sig tango 4 - $600
- Burris Signature HD - $600

These combinations should stay in budget too.
Idk what caliber of rifle you are choosing but zeiss conquest rifle v4 scope 3-12x44 is within your budget at 699$. Exceptional glass

Last edited:
My suggestion is don’t worry about the negative comments. Everyone has their opinions and yes the internet will be mostly full of negative ones. You have quite a few options given. You won’t go wrong with any of them. Ignore the negatives

Just buy the Bergara B-14 wilderness in 300 PRC and top it with a vortex DB Tac 6-24X50 and drop bombs on animals. That is my set up and it is disgusting!!!

I have a DB tactical on my x bolt. Thought about upgrading but besides zero stop I really like it. Instead I bought a new rifle and scope and kept the vortex on the x bolt

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom