Hunting shape

Muleman1

Very Active Member
So with the hunts coming up knows the time to start getting back into “hunting shape” I have a routine I do what’s some routines you guys do ?

I have to workout about 6-7 days a week or I go nuts. I lift 3-4 days a week, do power hikes to Flag Rock above the house here (3.75 miles round trip and 1200 vert) or other similar climbs 1-2 times a week, punch my bag about once a week, do some rock climbing, trail running or mountain bike riding once a week or so, and maybe mix in some hoop with the boy. I do about an hour a day of hard working out. A bit more if I have an event I’m planning to do.
If my body could take more, I’d probably do more. I have to force myself to heal.
I workout all year, but leading up to summer scouting I try to climb the mountain more often to get my legs strong. Plus the dog is always begging to take me on a hike. Ha ha
The less body fat I’m hauling and the stronger my legs are, the more mountain miles I can cover come backpacking time.
Without my working out, I’d fall into a crappy depression. It’s a must for my happiness. It’s weird. I have a hard time understanding why someone wouldn’t want to workout at least an hour a day.

What’s your routine Muleman1? Others??

Skiing, Mtn biking, and hiking year round. When the seasons get closer I’ll add more steep climbs with about 20 pound of weight. I used to use more weight but my knees suffer so I practice with more weight.

I try to do what my highschool basketball teacher taught me. I asked him what the best way to stay in shape was, and he said "Not get out of it". Like founder said, it's a lifestyle.

At 61 and living in flat country I have to try to stay active year round. No hills to climb nearby bu if I draw a tag I start riding that Nordic Trac ski machine for a few months and cut back on sweets. Not enough but it is about all I can do!

I always say I need to get in shape at the end of every hunting season, then I never really end up doing it. I have put my kids on my back in a pack while mowing the lawn before. Most of my getting into shape happens during scouting trips and walking while golfing.

I’m with Founder and try to make working out a part of my every day life. I typically run 5 miles on Monday & Wednesday with a long run on Saturday (10-12 miles). I lift upper body on Tuesday and Friday and lift legs on Thursday. During the summer, I will do mountain hikes with a pack and a lot of trail running at elevation.
I don’t think what I do is required by any means for a hunter, but it sure makes the long hikes while hunting more enjoyable, and makes it easier to “embrace the suck” of the daily grind. I also find at age 45 that I recover much faster if I am in good shape, so it is worth it to me.
Plus I like how I feel physical and mentally when I exercise and deep down I hope all the work will keep me hunting into my 70’s or 80’s if I’m lucky??

Walk up the mountain a time or two behind my house to make sure I still got it. Crack a beer and laugh at all the flat brimmers posting gym selfies and get to stacking bodies come fall. I’m fortunate to have a job that keeps me physically active year round.

Last edited:
I work at a desk so I hit the gym (or try to) 4-6 days a week with cardio every day and weights too. Lifestyle choice. When I miss the gym or running during holidays, it gets tougher and tougher to catch up. Not getting any younger. I love hunting so the better shape I'm in, the better I feel when I'm humpin' up and down mountains.

I chase the wife a couple times a week, and jog to the fridge 4-5 times a day. (Old work out.)

Now on the treadmill a couple times a week, ready to do a little more mountain biking, golfing (I walk), and plastering work business starting up. Skiing this winter helped my legs as well!

I usually stay in pretty good shape and the work I do give me a lot of exercise.
Thing is now with this coronavirus my wife has been working from home and she’s doing a lot of baking and is a really good cook. I may have to step up my game this spring and do some additional exercising.

The upside of this "stay at home" is that lots of people are eating their own cooking now, and obesity is down 5%. The downside is that cirrhosis is up 10%!! :)

I am 57, and I figured out a few years back if I stop moving for even a week it is not good! My wife and I do a lot of hiking in the hills, 4 or 5 miles a few times a week and a long hike, 8-18 miles on Sat. and a backyard work-out with pushups, pullups, some curls, and tri extensions now that we cant hit the gym. try to keep busy most days of the week. I am like the tin man, I will freeze up if I don't keep moving!

I’m with Founder and try to make working out a part of my every day life. I typically run 5 miles on Monday & Wednesday with a long run on Saturday (10-12 miles). I lift upper body on Tuesday and Friday and lift legs on Thursday. During the summer, I will do mountain hikes with a pack and a lot of trail running at elevation.
I don’t think what I do is required by any means for a hunter, but it sure makes the long hikes while hunting more enjoyable, and makes it easier to “embrace the suck” of the daily grind. I also find at age 45 that I recover much faster if I am in good shape, so it is worth it to me.
Plus I like how I feel physical and mentally when I exercise and deep down I hope all the work will keep me hunting into my 70’s or 80’s if I’m lucky??

I'm not quite that regimented, but I do manage to get some upper body and abs 3-4X per week. Since I'm "essential," I can still do that in the gym at work. (I work at a paper mill making toilet paper and paper towels!) I also run about 25 miles a week, varying intensity, distance, and hills. Before our local gym closed, I'd also get on the "Jacobs Ladder" 1-2X per week from 30-60 min. If you've never done one of those, it will give you a workout!

I tried the Jacob's ladder machine and that constant offcenter tug of the safety belt killed my back.

I am starting up the runs now, & now play some hoops against my daughter. Usually hit the gym on weekends for free weights where I do a couple circuits three rounds each (#1 bench / lat pull down / upright row and sit ups #2 bis / tris / shoulder raises / squat or leg press.)

I just had a BIG bowl of tapioca pudding.
Screw the workout today!

I’ve wintered pretty well and the lbs are creeping up on me. Weather is getting better so back up the mountain 4-5 x / week for me and the Mrs.

Zeke

So with the hunts coming up knows the time to start getting back into “hunting shape” I have a routine I do what’s some routines you guys do ?

I walk 10-13 miles per day. In the spring, I begin taking hikes. Either shed hunting, backpacking trips, hikes to start hanging cameras, etc.
I just got home from an overnight trip.
I hiked just over 8 miles. Found 2 sheds.
Summer hikes will begin in end of July for scouting.
I have to ease into it because I’m old and have bad knees
But usually by mid August, I am in the best shape that I will be all year long.

I run to the fridge and back quite a bit. But hiking up that mountain is come soon and it’s going to hurt. So I better get back on the bike.

I'm getting in deep trouble. They still haven't opened the YMCA back up and I haven't developed a workout regime to replace it. I have to bear hunt in May and I am getting really soft.

I think there is an old jump rope in the garage somewhere.

For some reason I’m eating better meals than I ever had. The girls make fresh bread everyday, we smoked up about 30lbs of Antelope Jerky last week, the chickens are laying about a dozen eggs a day. My wife can order food from target as cheap as going to the grocery store and a local greenhouse drops off greens in a cooler at the front gate. I was able to Wolf Hunt the last three weeks, a nice vacation I would not have ever had. I started back to work on Saturday, slow and easy

Well, when a guy only has to walk 75 yards to his pile of apples, the Paul Crawford routine is perfect! Lol

(Couldn't resist?)

I stay in fairly good shape year round, but I start hiking the high country in late summer to acclimate my body and lungs to lower oxygen.

Last edited:
Never get out of shape for sure is the key eat well don't drink....and one of the best 500 bucks you will ever spend in you life is a GOOD QUALITY elliptical....the one I have is a Precor the kind they have in busy gyms and needs to be durable and work well. Mine doesn't have arm attachments ( I have a speed bag)....but can crank the angle...and crank or let off the difficulty...its solid and smooth. I bought a 100 dollar smart tv which does youtube and netflix...etc and have it for easy viewing. The nice part is its right there you don't have to put on this or that..... just jump on. Mine is a $3000 model got it for $500 on Craigslist...if you watch it you will find a similar deal...

Ive got an elliptical in the front room and a free weight setup, plus a machine, in the garage. I suppose I'll never squat 650 again, unless you count the number of times I think I need to poop.

With the CoronaVirus thing going on, I haven't been taking the wife on our weekly movie date, so I've been avoiding the buttery popcorn. I think it's paying off, as I hit my weight goal. But I'd sure crave it!

I tend to use the deer hunt as my pre work out for the elk hunt LOL!

Couple days of soreness the week before the elk hunt and I am good to go for my week-long elk hunt! beyond that, just stay active with the kids and wife now that I have a desk job.

I used to be all into weight lifting and running up a mountain but....life happened....kids, and college, and full-time job working more hours than I care to, etc, etc.

But hey, at the age of 42 I finally graduated college with my bachelors degree in business management! I just got some time back.......Maybe there is time for a little workout every now and again....?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom