Hunting Style

Onthehoof

I am curious how other people would classify their hunting strategies. What do you all like to do when hunting different species? How do you hunt the desert? How do you hunt the mountains? What are some other things you feel are important to focus on in a hunt? I love learning what other people like to do, although I do enjoy reading you all getting fired up at each other from time to time.

OTH

I have gotten a lot more relaxed lately in regards to big game.

I don't hunt wilderness, and I don't necessarily just drive the roads. I like to drive to a spot, glass every where I can, move a bit, then repeat.

I hunt areas where there is good road access just because I am not so adventurous to the point of miles long hikes to get somewhere. I am usually within 1/2 mile of a road and just over that ridge.

I prefer to hunt more open units. I also apply only for one or two areas for each species including sheep, as I have been in quite a few areas in the state, and have specific areas I like for each species.

My style may not be the most effective, but for me, its the most exciting. That is, hike away from the roads and still hunt. Sneak through quakies, mixed with pines and wait for a close encounter. I prefer muzzy and archery.

I like to hunt trails for elk-----I find the elk moving back into the dark timber after a night of feeding and the reverse in the PM.

For mtn goat & bighorns-----I glassed till I found them & then made a plan to stalk.

For antelope same thing------but I would drive the old oil field roads to get to a high spot to glass.

Whitetail deer---in Ohio----find a good spot with different trails & sit all day. We usually hunt the same old red oak every year.

I hunt mostly timbered country for deer and elk. Some glassing into the timber and small openings across valleys and draws, more still hunting forest.

These are awesome! I had a bull elk tag for last years black powder in Utah and had a couple of buddies that came with me. Once we found a bull I wanted to go after we went right in. I had been scouting elk from a distance all summer and have not had much experience hunting bulls, so I am not sure what I was expecting. We walked right up to him in the timber in the middle of all his cows and I was able to get a good shot. It was the coolest thing ever. I have just been fascinated by others approach to hunting since.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom