Hunting This Year Burn

3x2

Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) hunting burns the same year as the fire? There is currently a good size fire in a zone that I will be hunting this fall and was wondering if it would be worth giving that area a look. Thanks

I’ve seen elk in burns that were still smoldering. Come this fall they will be full of game in my experience

Depends how hot the fire was, and with a little moisture those succulent shoots will sprout up and could be full of game, like Willy said

Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) hunting burns the same year as the fire? There is currently a good size fire in a zone that I will be hunting this fall and was wondering if it would be worth giving that area a look. Thanks
Yes you should be able to find animals sneaking around the edges feeding. Last year we saw two bucks feeding at the edge of a burn six weeks old. I thought they were licking burned ground for minerals but on closer inspection they found sprouts of new growth one or two inches tall.

I’ve had good experiences with fresh burns. Don’t overlook look it. The critters living there I think assume they still have cover but obviously they don’t.

Yes, for sure. Burned here in Southern Nevada last month. Deer already moved in. Coyotes and rabbits also. Hopefully some rain this monsoon season will bring more deer in.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom