Hunting with a Jeep Wrangler

About 7 years ago I owned a 95 jeep wrangler that had an 8" lift and 35" tires on it. I hunted for a few years with that vehicle. One year I shot a nice 3x4 on the extended archery hunt above bountiful. I was by myself, had a knife and no bone saw. I also had no cell phone. I cleaned and drug the buck through the scrub oak until I got it to a wash, I then sat on its back an rode it down the snow covered wash. Jeep was parked at the bottom. I backed it up to the hill side and heaved the whole deer into the back of jeep. I had the soft top on and had the back seat out. The buck fit just fine and would have fit better had I been able to cut the legs off and quarter it out. So a few of his legs were poking me in the back of the head as I was driving home but I was so pumped about the whole experience, that was the least of my worries. A jeep wrangler works perfect if you are just hauling yourself and your own gear, But forget it if you have hunting buddies that want to tag along. Wish I still had that "go anywhere" vehicle.
-------------------------

S.A.F.!

I've hunted out of old CJ-5's and when we shoot a deer we wire it whole to the outside of the jeep. On the hood against the windshield or on the back of the jeep. Up front is the best place because it doesn't get dusty. This is on the older model jeeps and the deer does not heat up from the engine, the newer jeeps may be a problem with heat. If I had to travel long distances I would have it upfront until you get off the dirt then wire it on the back spare tire carrier etc when you hit the pavement.

Get you a rack for the back and/or top to store your gear in and you will be glad you did.

Elk would need to be quartered however, I have seen a mature six point elk whole on the hood of a jeep being towed beind a pickup.

Keep a small waterproof tarp in your possibles bag along with your bungee cords, tow strap, gloves, pulley, shackles, tire repair kit, first aid kit, and everything else. Then if you kill a buck, you can fold the back seat up, lay out the tarp in the back and throw the deer on the tarp. You'll want to get home quickly and get the deer hung and skinned though, because that hide and tarp traps the body heat and I guess the meat could spoil.

Just like this! Get it back to camp, grab a beer and get the hide off!!! Have fun....

P1010156.jpg

47faf4561ca3a726.jpg

I just use a tarp and wrap 'em up like a burrito. I think it is legal to use the car-pool lane if you do it this way.

I also just throw them up on the hood. I have an older CJ5, it is so easy. I wouldn't worry about it if I were u Just bring rope.

I have the LJ (longer wheelbase) and I pulled him in up to the back of my seat and then pushed the rest of him in so I could get the tailgate closed. I stopped at a local market and got blocks of ice to stuff in his chest and abdomin and then broke camp. It was a tight fit with all the gear and deer in there. If there was another person it would not have worked. This year I am taking a small trailer to carry either the animal or gear or both.

Lucky2Hunt what brand of rack is that you have. Been looking for one like that for my jeep

Thanks

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom