Hunting with a Suppressor

BIGJOHNT

Long Time Member
Any of you hunting with a can. If so what model and why . Anyone deal with Silencerco in West Valley Utah. Seems to be a lot of different brands and type of cans out there to choose from. Some are know selling some for multiple calibers. I think I am threw with waiting for the government to change the laws. It's time to buy a tax?s stamp and start waiting.

I use a silencerco omega 3 on everything from my AR to 300wsm and love it reduces noise as well as recoil wish I would have got one sooner. Adds length which is sometimes a pain but over all love it

LAST EDITED ON Mar-09-19 AT 07:51PM (MST)[p]I bought mine online from Silencer Shop. I use it on the AR for coyotes but haven't seen the need on a bigger rifle.

It wouldn't be worth the length and weight to me to carry it all season for (hopefully) one shot per tag.

EDIT- I use the Gemtech Halo-Titanium (buy light weight!!!)

Grizzly

-----------------------------------------
"This is a classic case of a handful of greedy fly fishermen getting too greedy." -Don Peay, Founder of SFW, as told to KUTV

"It's time to revisit the widely accepted principle in the United States and Canada that game is a public resource."
-Don Peay, Founder of SFW, as quoted in Anchorage Daily News

LAST EDITED ON Mar-09-19 AT 10:27PM (MST)[p]Silencerco has a good reputation amongst NFA owners. Not knowing your particular application, their cans may not be the best fit for you.

I use one by YHM on my .300.

Bessy gave you a pretty cool link. One good thing about the can is that you can swap it from rifle to rifle.

You may want to look into an NFA trust which offers several benefits, but, you should have a lawyer to draw up the papers.

?Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. "

I deal in suppressors, so I have a bunch of demos and first hand experience with various models. I really like Silencerco and I sell a ton of their products. I will use their suppressors on AR's and select fires.
For hunting and precision work, my choice is Thunder Beast Arms. TBAC ultra 7 and Ultra 9 dominat most of the long range competitions. They are amazingly lightweight and less POI shift than other big name suppressors.

For anyone around the Salt Lake area, I offer demos on the Thunder Beast models

My recommendation would be look at 30 caliber suppressors. Depending on the model it will be rated for .300 win mag or Ultra down to the .22 center fire calibers.

Wait times using a trust are averaging a year. Wait time as an individual are averaging 6 months.

Dealers quoting 6 month wait times are either full of bull or super lucky . I just got my approval from ATF last week , waited 13 months filed as an individual. I was quoted a 4-6 month wait when I purchased mine.

>Dealers quoting 6 month wait times
>are either full of bull
>or super lucky . I
>just got my approval from
>ATF last week , waited
>13 months filed as an
>individual. I was quoted a
>4-6 month wait when I
>purchased mine.

Guess I range on the super lucky side. There are something like 30 examiners, and some are definitely faster government workers than others. I have had trusts back as quick as 4 months. That's why I said on average.

https://www.silencershop.com/atf-wait-times

Grizzly

-----------------------------------------
"This is a classic case of a handful of greedy fly fishermen getting too greedy." -Don Peay, Founder of SFW, as told to KUTV

"It's time to revisit the widely accepted principle in the United States and Canada that game is a public resource."
-Don Peay, Founder of SFW, as quoted in Anchorage Daily News

I shoot with (and hunt with) a SilencerCo Harvester 300. I also used their gun trust package to set up my trust a few years ago.

It's the only suppressor I've shot but I've really like it. Run it on everything of mine from my .223 bolt trainer, my 6 Dasher, 260, 6.5PRC, 280AI, 30 Nosler, and will on a new 300 win mag that should be completed later this month in time for spring bear season.

That being said, I've got a new Gunwerks 6IX and 8IGHT on order that I should see about this time next year hopefully.

Thanks for info guys. Still learning soaking up all I can. I was thinking of a trust and started one. But I think a individual application maybe the best for me. I saw the cans at the expo that Gunwerks had. They did look nice and light. So many out there to choose from. You hear something different from everyone. I guess I just choose one and make sure it's the right one.

Oss for me.(worth checking out) I really like the flow through design. Keeps my rifle clean because of no blow back. Also my oss suppressor does not heat up like my friends suppressors do. you can rifle through the rounds on the range and still touch your can.

>Thanks for info guys. Still learning
>soaking up all I can.
>I was thinking of a
>trust and started one. But
>I think a individual application
>maybe the best for me.
>I saw the cans at
>the expo that Gunwerks had.
>They did look nice and
>light. So many out there
>to choose from. You hear
>something different from everyone. I
>guess I just choose one
>and make sure it's the
>right one.

I wouldn't go with a Gunwerks suppressor just yet . They're brand new and unproven. Get a can or 5 from an established manufacturer 1st . Time will tell if the Gunwerks cans are worth owning or not . Don't be a guinea pig

I have gemtech, rebel,Yankee hill and am very happy with them, a 22lr, 45acp, 223 and 308. More expensive is not always better. I have helped run tests with local can manufacturing and the most expensive ones were not the quietest. You can't beat the 300 dollar rebels.

I still find this confusing . So many different companies. So many different cans. I guess just pick one and jump in with both feet. Hopefully its the right suppressor. Because its yours for life.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom