Huntstand or Onyx?

Joe2Kool

Very Active Member
Considering one of these and looking for thoughts on which one to get. Pros? Cons? Do they work on a phone AND GPS? I don't like the idea of relying on my phone battery. Me and my phone have a love/hate relationship. It hates me when I need it's love the most! :ROFLMAO:

I have a Garmin Montana 650(?) gps but haven't really used it much because, well, it seemed too complicated and the screen scratched up pretty bad after just a couple of days in my pocket.

Anyway, what I want to do is confirm I'm on public land or private I have permission to hunt. Find landowner info on private land I don't have permission to hunt. And, mark a spot and be able to come back to it, daylight or dark.

I've only used OnX but love it. Works well on the phone and you can save offline maps of the area you want to hunt. Put your phone on airplane mode and use them. You get 3D mapping on your computer which is helpful for putting waypoints for glassing areas and finding best routes. They will show up on your offline maps after input on the computer. Great tool in my book

If you do go the phone route, look at Scout to Hunt. Same features but it’s all free. Next week will be the first time I use it “off line” so we’ll see how that goes.

I wonder if they only let you put these apps on phones so they can data mine all the scouting and kill location information then sell the info for $$$$$$???

Of the two, I’ve only used OnX. I can tell you the property lines are remarkably accurate. Some of the names etc get whopperdicked when they download it, but thats an insignificant detail for most people.

I've had all 3. HuntStand seemed the least intuitive. BaseMap and OnX are top notch, but $29 vs $99.

Also, I really love them as an app, almost 6" color screen. They're bada$$.

I use ONX.

Got OnX single state for both of my boys off campfire for $19.

Honestly, I'm not a tech dork. And lazy.

So I've stayed with onx because it's what I've used, and it works good, and I'm too lazy to change it

got the 0nx for the fifty states for $99 I hunt 4 states it comes out to $25 a state plus other friends will use it in different states that I don't hunt in and that they hunt in so it really works out good for us all. Sharing the cost helps.

If you do go the phone route, look at Scout to Hunt. Same features but it’s all free. Next week will be the first time I use it “off line” so we’ll see how that goes.
scout to hunt really screwed me on my elk hunt, none of my offline maps would load. i even went into town to get service and they then wouldnt even download, just beware and have a backup. ill be sticking to OnX

I use ONX.

Got OnX single state for both of my boys off campfire for $19.

Honestly, I'm not a tech dork. And lazy.

So I've stayed with onx because it's what I've used, and it works good, and I'm too lazy to change it
I know the feeling. When I find something I like, I stick with it! Plus, computer techno changes hate me!

Thanks for all the info guys. Headed to Iowa for a scouting trip next week. Leaning towards OnX even though the price is a little higher. My BIL had it so I'm hoping we can exchange info.

I went with OnX. Got a quick tutorial from my BIL before I went. Worked pretty good on the phone. Cell service wasn't great, and I hadn't downloaded maps. But it allowed me to mark spots anyway, and they showed on the map later.

Liked the capability to take a photo and attach it to a waypoint.

Didn't figure out how to navigate to a spot. I've got a few weeks before I need to know how to do that. And probably a YouTube video on it as well!

Question, if I want to get the chip for a hand-held GPS, is that an additional cost?

On-x…. Although it’s made it way too easy for scouting and navigating. Gone are the days of reading national forest maps and putting boots on the ground.

I use the Outly app on my phone. It's Free. It does not give "hunt boundaries" or the specific land owner name like On-x but it tells you if it is BLM, FS, State, Private, etc. There are several layers available, i.e. trails, water, contour lines, satellite image overlay, etc. It also lets you download areas for offline use.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom