I’m giving up BH209

just_a_hunter

And I’ll be just fine. I like the old timey guns better anyway. My success rate is going to go down I suspect but I’m okay with that now that my daughter is the certified family freezer filler.

Fl7KFRah.jpg

BH209 is a great powder but at $60 bucks plus shipping for an 8 oz can is ridiculous. The stuff has always been expensive even when it was easily had, but C’mon……

I don’t blame any of you for sticking with it as the clean burn alone is a huge advantage but I’m personally looking forward to going back a few generations during the hunt. Not to pretend to be someone who I’m not but to maybe connect with the hunt on a different level.

I hope y’all are having a great summer!

Todd

There is actually six cans! Those three black caps on the top right are Goex 2f. 2 cans of Goex 3f and one of 4f. Hopefully the new owners will kick off production soon! Old Eynsord (sp) or Grafs is a good replacement for it.

Todd

Pyrodex RS works just fine. It's dirty and will absolutely cause corrosion in your firearm if its left dirty. If you don't have time to clean your muzzy after shooting Pyrodex, don't shoot it.

Todd

I would use Triple 7 before pyrodex.
If Blackhorn continues to be super expensive along with difficult to find, I'm switching to Triple 7.

I hope they restrict the muzzy season to sidelocks only. That would reduce draw odds immensely. I would like to get a flintlock just for the challenge if not that then a sidelock percussion, that's what I started with.

I hope they restrict the muzzy season to sidelocks only. That would reduce draw odds immensely. I would like to get a flintlock just for the challenge if not that then a sidelock percussion, that's what I started with.
Only thing stopping you is fear.

I use triple 7 35 grain pellets and pyrodex 50 grain pellets. A 135 grain load. I decided on pellets cause where I live there isnt much for muzzleloader supplies. But they sure do have pellets. I stocked up 2 years ago. Now the store is starting to get some blackhorn and pyrodex powder. I am not switching. Gun shoots just fine. First shot shoots just like my following shots.

Actually took the muzzleloader out today. Havent shot it in a year. Shot some other rifles first. Covered up the holes and at 127 yards here is how the muzzy shot

Snapchat-970788346.jpg

Are you mixing 777 and Pyrodex to get to 135gr?

Excuse I meant 30 grain pellets. So a 130 grain load. Just shooting pellets. No loose powder. I may have confused some by adding the 777 to where i am reading the pellet container

Both made by hodgdon

20220821_131441.jpg

Last edited:
Excuse I meant 30 grain pellets. So a 130 grain load. Just shooting pellets. No loose powder. I may have confused some by adding the 777 to where i am reading the pellet container

Both made by hodgdon

View attachment 84505
You’re still confusing me. How do you get to a 130 gr charge with 30 gr pellets or with 50gr pellets? Your photo shows Pyrodex 50 gr pellets and 777 30 gr pellets. You must be mixing them to get to 130gr??

You’re still confusing me. How do you get to a 130 gr charge with 30 gr pellets or with 50gr pellets? Your photo shows Pyrodex 50 gr pellets and 777 30 gr pellets. You must be mixing them to get to 130gr??
2 50 grain pellets plus 1 30 grain pellets. So yes a mix.

Interesting. Never heard of anyone doing that with Pyrodex and 777. For the record, you are mixing (duplexing) two different powders of dissimilar chemical composition. Hodgdon would certainly not approve and CVA would probably not either so you’d be out on your own if anything happens.

You might actually have better accuracy (and be safer) using one or the other.

Interesting. Never heard of anyone doing that with Pyrodex and 777. For the record, you are mixing (duplexing) two different powders of dissimilar chemical composition. Hodgdon would certainly not approve and CVA would probably not either so you’d be out on your own if anything happens.

You might actually have better accuracy (and be safer) using one or the other.

So I took the step of calling hodgdon. He said no worries but they do not test for it. He stressed no pellets and no loose powder as a mix. I have tried the 150 grain load and the gun is all over the place.

That surprises me. They make 777 pellets for .50 cal in 50 gr and 30 gr so no reason to have to mix.

That surprises me. They make 777 pellets for .50 cal in 50 gr and 30 gr so no reason to have to mix.

I appreciate the concern and very good concern. Maybe I spoke to someone who just wasn't in the mood to talk and wanted to get to the next call. Maybe the fact bringing up could there be a chemical imbalance was over his head and let's move on. I will look for the triple 7 .50 grain. I live in a small town and basically I get on what I showed in the picture. I copied this load from a couple other guys. Muzzleloading to me is a whole new adventure to me. I appreciate the concern and the advice. I have asked the local gunshop to up the supplies but the interest isn't there for them just so I can save on a hazmat fee for a online purchase.

But triple 7 .50 grain pellets will be on the shopping list when I get to scheels 2 hours away

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom