I drew a bull elk 497 san luis resevoir tag!

P

popeyoung2

After 23 years finally a Cali. tag. Any advice? This is an archery or shotgun area. I've killed 58 with a bow and have a scoped shotgun which is good to 150 yards with a copper sabot slug. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Are you from Cali? I'm not sure if you can use a scope on a slug gun but if you could, I would. There is alot of elk on the base. I would talk to the base people to see if they can help you out any. Good luck. Jingow

What base?

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

its not a base........! best elk opportunity is private land
! look to spend a little money... (thats the best chance at a nice bull)...rut is at peak a week earlier.. hunt the early week..scout baby scout! call the state park there and ask for the rangers who know!!

4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

Thats what I thought. Theres no base anywhere near san luis. The unit is in my backyard, and like others have said.....Start talking to landowners. Your best bet is private. As of yeterday, there is a nice herd of cows and a bachelor group of about 5-10 bulls just below the dam...about 1/4 mile off the hiway. Which is non huntable public land. They will move up into the hills on the south east side of the lake later in the season which is all private. They dont hang out down in the refuge very much. You could get lucky, but I would'nt waste the oppertunity for a once in a lifetime Tule elk. Good luck.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

thanks for the input Hardway. Any names of ranchers i should try first? What is the trespass fee? Thanks again for any input

I live in the area. A few bulls around the dam, but not huntable, like Hardway says.The pubic area that you can hunt is very small, and if you hit the lottery again ,you will find a bull on that piece of land.
I have max pts also,did my research ,but the fish and game wont tell me of any ranchers that allow hunting.Otherwise i would apply for the tag.
This is one of a few hunts that the DFG has that i personally believe is a joke.
I hope you get better info than i did ,popeyoung2. And i hope you do good on your hunt

Why do you think it is a joke? I think any new hunt is a good thing. Not saying it is for everyone but any opportunity for someone is a good opportunity. At a worse case scenario a few people apply and it makes the odds for other hunts a little better. It says right in the Big Game Digest "Limited opportunity on public lands...Private land access may be restricted or access fee requried. Low probabability of hunter success." What else do you want? If you do not like the hunt then please do not apply but to say it is a joke is just shortsighted.

Joe

I think its a joke ,because there is in reality ,no public land to hunt. You can drive to the lake and you will see plenty of bulls, but the DFG will not allow you to hunt them there.
Basicly when you draw the tag ,you are buying a landowner tag . I'm sure you will have to pay big $$ to hunt the private land that holds elk.

Oh and i believe that the public land that you can hunt is shotgun or bow only

So in your view unless there is a majority of public land there should not be a hunt? If you do not like the hunt do not apply for it, many states have zones which are completely private property and have hunts in them. It is a good thing, if you know someone or own property (or pay a fee)you can apply for the hunt, or hunt the little bit of public land (I believe a bull was killed on the small amount of public land the first year). Most of the areas with tule elk (not currently open to hunting) are on private land. A general draw tag for those areas is a good thing, it provides more opportunity (granted not for everyone) and makes the draw odds on the other zones better. DFG does not control the state park land so your statement "DFG will not let you hunt there" is inaccurate. DFG has no say on that or any other land except DFG property. The Forest Serive, BLM, etc controls access to their property. Fine, you do not like the hunt, not a problem but I do not think the past successful hunters think it was a joke nor do I think it is a joke.

Joe

>thanks for the input Hardway.
>Any names of ranchers i
>should try first? What is
>the trespass fee? Thanks
>again for any input

popeyoung, you need to contact the county and get a plot/parcel map of the area. It will show you who the landowners are. (Its public info.) Then just start calling, I have friends of friends that have a couple ranches in the area, but dont hold any elk. You should also try and get in touch with the DFG bioligist that manages the herd in that area. I dont know what they (landowners) would charge you, but I dont think it would be rediculous.....ESPECIALLY considering its a once in a lifetime chance at a Tule Elk which cant be had in any other state. Man, I'd sell just about anything I had to pay for acsess. I dont think I have to remind you again....IT'S A ONCE IN A LIFETIME TAG FOR A TULE ELK, WHICH YOU CANT HUNT ANYWHERE ELSE IN THE WORLD!!!!

DFG does
>not control the state park
>land so your statement "DFG
>will not let you hunt
>there" is inaccurate. DFG
>has no say on that
>or any other land except
>DFG property.

Seriously?...........how long have you been living in Gumbyland?

My guess is that the trespass fee would not be reasonable to guys like me who don't have a ton of money. But, to people who have a ton of money, it's probably chump-change. It is a once in a lifetime tag so the landowners hold all the cards.

Steve

Guys, I appreciated all the input. I will do it the hard way, dfg land only. After 57 bow kills I think I can figure out this place without $$$$$$$$ to justify my hunting skills. I thank the DFG for the third year of this hunt. This will be my one and only tule hunt and will take what the public land gives me.Thank You DFG and god for giving me this chance.

P.S. my 16 year old son just caught a 51 inch 47 lb. white seabass of the nuke plant in the O.C. today pic is too big to upload If u want it just email me. shoot straight bob

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom