I drew Arizona antelope unit 3A, now what?

Jeffpg

Hey fellas,

I hail from Mississippi but I get around out west quite a bit on big game hunts, etc. I have successfully DIY hunted goats on 3 different occasions over the past 8 years and have a decent idea of how to go about it, but I have zero information on the unit that I have drawn. I'm good to go with any camping & hunting gear and weaponry, etc. but I sort of need a good starting place with which to plan my hunt.

My tag is good for Oct 20 - Oct 11. Does anyone possibly have any information that can get me kickstarted?

I happen to have some excellent bowhunting for spring wild turkey and trophy Axis deer on 5000 acres in west Texas to offer if that is any encouragement to you to be of assistance.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Congrats on your tag. It's been a wet winter and that could affect the antelope in a negative manner in regard to buck size. The antelope are spread out and it will ultimately depend upon summer rain where they end up for your hunt. It should be a slam dunk hunt though.

Cactus-- You lucky Hunter !!! This is a once in a Lifetime Tag-- trust me on that one ! It's a big WOW tag & Id suggest getting a super Guide & talking it over at least. I must alert you that they charge big $$$$, so be prepared, but they rack up huge bucks everywhere in every state, like big B/C bucks & that's the honest truth. Look up : pronghorn guide service on the web & ElI Grimmet & be blown away by the heads they take. It's the real deal. Tell him I sent you. You'll be astounded by their success.
Best of Luck !! Jerry Gold ?- Ft Collins, Co.

The best buck I measured out of 3A last season went 80 2/8” net. A VERY good pronghorn for that unit, IMO. If you see a 75-80” buck you need to hammer him. LOTS of state land you can hunt out here and seeing goats shouldn’t be a problem.

I would come a day or two early to scout.

I would start at the junction of 377/260 heading north to Holbrook & glass all open area you see (right side of road). You will cover TONS of country. You can also drive the Zeniff rd from 260 & follow a similar pattern. Miles driven=more country.

I hunted it two years ago & found the majority of antelope were hanging around Woodruff. It was SUPER dry & that's where most of the antelope were.

Between these two areas you will have more than enough country to keep you busy.

Thanks for the help guys, I just noticed my typo above on my hunt dates. It should say October 2 - October 11 but I think y'all figured that out.

Jeff

I would start at the junction of 377/260 heading north to Holbrook & glass all open area you see (right side of road). You will cover TONS of country. You can also drive the Zeniff rd from 260 & follow a similar pattern. Miles driven=more country.

I think junction of 377/260 is in a different unit (3C)? I believe the junction of 377/277 is the S/W corner of 3A. Everything north to Holbrook on the east side of 377 is unit 3A?

Thanks guys. To be honest, I am on the fence about whether I am going to make the hunt or not... I am staying fairly busy with my work, but due to this covid19 sillyness, I will likely be very much in demand for work during the 4th quarter this year. So, I am considering turning my tag back in to prevent any issues with not being able to work a project due to one antelope hunt... How long do I have to make this decision?

Assuming you purchased point guard in order to keep your bonus points you must turn your tag in or donate it anytime before your hunts opening day. Knowing how hard it is to draw an AZ antelope tag, I would hunt this year if at all possible.

17 (18 if you turn your tag in) points should draw an archery tag but it took 24 points to get in bonus pass for gun hunt last year and 75% draw odds. 17 points is 2.8% gun hunt odds.

Hunt while you can, when you can. You never know what tomorrow will bring. Good luck on whatever you decide.

You are so right, it's just the scheduling of this zany year that has me second guessing...

I just learned that I also drew a unit 102-50 Montana moose tag near Eureka in the NW corner. I will likely make both these hunts in one trip, since I live in the deep south.

I have rec'd some decent info on the area and I am looking forward to the hunt this fall.
Thanks for all the input guys, and feel free to keep me schooled up on anything that comes to mind... I'm all ears!

Rut should still be strong on those dates. Bucks running all day long will need to water every day and maybe more than once a day.

I have some extra time off so I am going to head out and begin scouting a couple of weeks before the hunt begins... This should be a lot of fun and very productive as well.

I have some extra time off so I am going to head out and begin scouting a couple of weeks before the hunt begins... This should be a lot of fun and very productive as well.

Just be aware the archery elk hunt is going on. I’d hate to ruin a hunt for someone who’s been waiting a long time for an elk tag. Just letting you know

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom