I got a wake up call

eelgrass

Long Time Member
I haven't bought any ammo for years in California. I bought it on line when I needed it, but that's no longer an option.

Anyhow, I was in Sportsman's Warehouse the other day and spotted a box of shotgun shells I wanted to buy. First thing I had to do was take a number and then hang out and wait for my number to be called, about a half hour. Must be the covid thing.

They finally call my number so I tell the guy I want to buy a box of ammo. He takes my "REAL ID" driver's license and then tells me I'm not in the system. In order to be in the system I would have had to buy a gun in the past 6 years at my address. Nope.

He then tells me to go online and create an account at CFARS . GOV. and by the way, after you create an account it takes about 6 weeks for them to okay me, and there is a $19 fee. So, I guess I'm at least 6 weeks out from buying a box of shotgun shells?

I thought a law abiding citizen from California could buy ammo in this State. Guess I was pretty naive, unless the guy gave me some bad information.

I haven't bought any ammo for years in California. I bought it on line when I needed it, but that's no longer an option.

Anyhow, I was in Sportsman's Warehouse the other day and spotted a box of shotgun shells I wanted to buy. First thing I had to do was take a number and then hang out and wait for my number to be called, about a half hour. Must be the covid thing.

They finally call my number so I tell the guy I want to buy a box of ammo. He takes my "REAL ID" driver's license and then tells me I'm not in the system. In order to be in the system I would have had to buy a gun in the past 6 years at my address. Nope.

He then tells me to go online and create an account at CFARS . GOV. and by the way, after you create an account it takes about 6 weeks for them to okay me, and there is a $19 fee. So, I guess I'm at least 6 weeks out from buying a box of shotgun shells?

I thought a law abiding citizen from California could buy ammo in this State. Guess I was pretty naive, unless the guy gave me some bad information.
I have about 50 cases. Too bad we can't figger out a trade for salmon. :unsure: I'm so far inland you could probably give me carp fillets and I wouldn't know the diff:(

There is a reason California is all screwed up......ask Heels up Harris.

I had to wait in line outside for about 30 minutes to get into our local Gun Store in Ohio to buy a few more guns the day before Thanksgiving. Due to Covid restrictions here only a certain amount of people were allowed at the 100 foot long gun counter. They were down to one each model of the guns I wanted. One was a rifle and one was an shotgun. Most ammo was gone.

Writing and passing stricter gun laws for those that follow the law does nothing to control the criminals who buy their guns on the streets and underground. We don't address the issue at hand, we pass laws that is easy to put into effect and where there is less political ramifications and gains the most control over the masses.

It’s really just sad. I haven’t bought ammo in this state since the new law went in effect, I don’t want to experience this.

Bad info although it is bad time wise to get shells you only need the real ID the other FSC ( Firearms Safety Certificate) is needed to buy guns. But you take the test which is 25 questions and then they give you your card which is good for 5 years.
Yes same thing for me last week I needed 7 boxes of shotgun shells and it took me about an hour and a half. Hell a Highway Patrolman came in and he had to wait about an hour. You should of heard what he had to say about this stupid law.
I bought an gun that was on sell and it took me 2 hours to get to the front counter and then another 1 1/2 hours to complete the paperwork. with the wait out front to get in it was an 4 hour odyssey ruined the whole day......

but it has to be steel shot here no lead allowed making even harder to get shells
I did notice they had quite a lot of rifle ammo in lead bullets. Those are only good for fishing weights in California now.

The whole process of buying ammo in California is humiliating and embarrassing. I want to tell them to shove the ammo up their butt.

I saw this coming years ago..stocked up on everything...even non lead for all guns too as soon as they started talking...
Jester

Eel now you know why I have several reloading presses and tons of bullets, powder, primers to reload for the next 10 years or better. I saw this coming when they outlawed buying on the internet. Have you noticed they always have a fee involved when they pass new gun laws.
They know how to curb the gun-ammo sales and make money for the general fund all at the same time.
Have you signed the recall list to recall melon head Gov. Newsom before he comes up with some new anti gun laws.

RELH

So glad we made the move to Idaho in ‘04 after 36 yrs being CA native. Never could I have imagined how much worse it could get. Now we are being overrun by migrants leaving CA. Too bad, as that state has so much potential but it’s just “pretty landscape” now.

Funny, house I sold in ‘04 has only appreciated about 30%(Grass Valley), while my homes here have all doubled, plus.

I’ve killed 3 bucks over 170”, biggest of 190”. Pass bucks every year CA residents would not, on any public ground.

To think you can’t even buy ammo, crazy.

Well I do miss the ocean some and good sour dough a lot. I do come visit and even shoot hogs when I do. Don’t have those here.

Glad I got the wake up call 16 yrs ago and glad we did something about it. Best friend now trying to do the same and leave Paso but can’t hardly afford it with price swings.

So how long do you continue to suffer?

BPKHunter, The average home in CA. is now at $500,000. I am willing to bet that is far above what you will pay in Idaho in today's market.
Those CA. transplants will not haggle the price down when moving out of state and that drives up the prices as they have money to burn in their pockets after selling their home here.

RELH

Everyone needs to make sure they sign the newest petition. I think there had been a couple since April.
Bill

Problem is there are more from the left transplanting to Idaho, Texas, etc... give it a handful more years and they will be the ones driving all the policy in that state, it’s only a matter of time and you’ll be paying high taxes like us to support their flawed ideology. Boise keeps getting more and more blue, someday it’ll swing the state.

Do the laws suck? Yes, absolutely. But is there ammo to be found? Yes. Its a little bit of a hassle, but at least we can still get what we need, at least with a little bit of footwork.

not sure if this has been said in the thread but you can buy a good amount of ammo after a 5-7 day check. need a real i’d or a passport. you DONT have to “register” with the state BUT every damn time you need to wait 5-7 days for the check.

not sure if this has been said in the thread but you can buy a good amount of ammo after a 5-7 day check. need a real i’d or a passport. you DONT have to “register” with the state BUT every damn time you need to wait 5-7 days for the check.
Once your ID address and a registered firearm address match up, you can get the "instant" check. It takes a few minutes, costs $1.00 and there is no state restrictions as to how much you can buy. Some store might have limits on the amount, but I haven't ran into that much. I can't lie, I've been slowly and steadily buying ammo for the past year. One of the crappy things about CA is also a huge benefit. This is the large population we have here. A larger population means more stores selling more items. If you "make your rounds" (visiting/calling several stores) once a week/month/etc, I guarantee you will have all (most) of the amm you could ever want/need. It just takes a little legwork..

Semper fi,

Tom

yeah i understand that. i’d rather deal with the hassle of getting the ammo. last gun i bought was in 2004, so i’m not on the registry and like it that way.

Eel same thing for me so I used the excuse that I HAD to buy a new gun so I got a 40 S&W semi auto and love it. Also this license is only good for five years then you have to renew or buy another gun...... Not the worst thing but if you need ammo let me know

Eel same thing for me so I used the excuse that I HAD to buy a new gun so I got a 40 S&W semi auto and love it. Also this license is only good for five years then you have to renew or buy another gun...... Not the worst thing but if you need ammo let me know
I went hunting this weekend. It appears I have enough ammo to last the rest of my life. :)

wtf doesn't sound like your ole stomping grounds did they all run away from the fires?
We got a little rain that turned into mostly low hanging fog so visibility sucked. I dropped down below it and two does showed up. The rain took the smoke away so that was a plus. I didn't even hear a shot fired all day.

BPKHunter, The average home in CA. is now at $500,000. I am willing to bet that is far above what you will pay in Idaho in today's market.
Those CA. transplants will not haggle the price down when moving out of state and that drives up the prices as they have money to burn in their pockets after selling their home here.

RELH
Idaho is as expensive as California now. California is on sale based on Boise, Scottsdale, Franklin TN, many Texas markets, greater Salt Lake Area, Montana.

I keep saying they really don't care about all the guns you have.
Once they stop you from buying shells, or the amount of shells the guns aren't worth crap.
Baseball bats will be used more often, then a empty gun.
they swing better. Get your bats now before they sell them all out.

It is not just California. Good luck finding ammo anywhere--not Nevada, not Oregon; none at Cabelas, none at Bass Pro, not at Scheels, Sportsman's Warehouse, little mom and pop store down the street, etc. The only one ammo is from your neighbor who is hoards it like toilet paper--prepping for Doomsday as if he will have the opportunity to blow through 10,000 rounds before someone else gets in a lucky shot.

I moved out of FLORIDA because of the oppression.
Ironically, now it seems to be a fairly free state.
I can't come up with any good reason why anybody lives in Ca.
I simply would not put up with their B.S.

South Dakota has the same problem no 4 or 5 or 6 shot for pheasants and waterfowl season

It's absolutely disgusting.
I went into a local Sportsmans Warehouse right after my recent out of state trip.
It seemed like a freaking prison.
Ammo locked up...People lined up with masks on waiting to accept the radical government regulation.

I commented as I walked by...
"This Goddamn state".

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom