I have the points, so now I have the itch!

ZachMikesell

I have earned enough preference points to be able to hunt any unit in the state of Utah with a bow! I am having a hard time deciding which unit to hunt and make 18 years of waiting worth the wait! I am leaning towards the Boulders and the Pahvant... I am trying to get information now and spend time on the unit over the next year learning the access points and places of elk population. Any advice would be great!

From the look of his semi-live hunt, I'd get ahold of elkhunterUT! I can say the Pahvant is amazing, but I didn't see any monsters. In all fairness though I'm not a very good elkhunter, I'm sure it has more than it's share!

San Juan, Boulders or Beaver should be good for you. Have you looked how many points it took this year to draw on these units on the Dnr web site ?

Looks like Zach has already been dreaming and has been reading all of the paper work. San Juan is 17 points 5 out of 5 drew. Beaver is 16 points 6 out of 4. Boulder is 14 points 5 out of 4. Unless a bunch of people jump ship and throw your odds off. But if its a year like this one was. It's been tough and hot. Are you sure you want to blow all your points on archery? I guess you can always shoot a five x five . :)

Looks like Zach has already been dreaming and has been reading all of the paper work. San Juan is 17 points 5 out of 5 drew. Beaver is 16 points 6 out of 4. Boulder is 14 points 5 out of 4. Unless a bunch of people jump ship and throw your odds off. But if its a year like this one was. It's been tough and hot. Are you sure you want to blow all your points on archery? I guess you can always shoot a five x five . :)
Haha I have talked to a couple of division guys and they have said next year he archery hunt will be about a week later so hopefully it gets more action. I am tired of waiting to hunt elk haha. I would be almost forty before I got to hunt a good unit with potential with a rifle or muzzy

Haha I have talked to a couple of division guys and they have said next year he archery hunt will be about a week later so hopefully it gets more action. I am tired of waiting to hunt elk haha. I would be almost forty before I got to hunt a good unit with potential with a rifle or muzzy
You can move back into my basement again to save money for your hunt . :) You could get lucky and draw a rifle tag. Or did your luck run out a few years ago with that Sportsman's tag ? That early rifle tag is fun. The bulls are pretty fired up at that time. You don't need to draw a super good unit just because everyone else likes that unit. You can have a great time hunting on a lesser unit hunting elk. You could probably draw a Manti rifle tag.

You can move back into my basement again to save money for your hunt . :) You could get lucky and draw a rifle tag. Or did your luck run out a few years ago with that Sportsman's tag ? That early rifle tag is fun. The bulls are pretty fired up at that time. You don't need to draw a super good unit just because everyone else likes that unit. You can have a great time hunting on a lesser unit hunting elk. You could probably draw a Manti rifle tag.
yeah I am guaranteed an early rifle tag on Wasatch and Manti and i experienced it three years ago on my Mom's hunt on Wasatch which was a blast. I just dont know if I can fully look forward knowing i could have challenged myself more with bow and have the higher potential of killing an older age class bull...

Another vote for San Juan archery with those points. I had the tag in 2010 and it was one of the coolest things I'd ever done. You can go read up on a whole year of what that place is about in a post called 'Lucky 25' in the 2010 Hunt Adventure Challenge page.

Been down there a bunch since and again last year on a buddies hunt and he killed a toad on Sept 4th. Here's the calf bull that was in the wallow on my hunt in 2010 all grown up last year :)

Also check out 'San Juan Bulls' way back on my youtube there to see all the bulls I filmed during my hunt in 2010

I have a million placemarks and basically if you throw a dart anywhere at a map of the unit, I can show you where elk were or are within a few hundred yards of that spot :)

Killing a giant is a completely different story, but you can know that you'll have the opportunity at some point if you get it right. That's all we can ask for on hunts like this with so much time invested. The opportunity at a great bull in the back of the mind is what it's all about. When they happen for you it's just a bonus. Enjoy the road there to whatever 18 points gets you. The being there is cool, but all the people and game to get there is where it's really at.

Just my $0.02

Cheers, Pete

Another vote for San Juan archery with those points. I had the tag in 2010 and it was one of the coolest things I'd ever done. You can go read up on a whole year of what that place is about in a post called 'Lucky 25' in the 2010 Hunt Adventure Challenge page.

Been down there a bunch since and again last year on a buddies hunt and he killed a toad on Sept 4th. Here's the calf bull that was in the wallow on my hunt in 2010 all grown up last year :)

Also check out 'San Juan Bulls' way back on my youtube there to see all the bulls I filmed during my hunt in 2010

I have a million placemarks and basically if you throw a dart anywhere at a map of the unit, I can show you where elk were or are within a few hundred yards of that spot :)

Killing a giant is a completely different story, but you can know that you'll have the opportunity at some point if you get it right. That's all we can ask for on hunts like this with so much time invested. The opportunity at a great bull in the back of the mind is what it's all about. When they happen for you it's just a bonus. Enjoy the road there to whatever 18 points gets you. The being there is cool, but all the people and game to get there is where it's really at.

Just my $0.02
you hit the nail on the head man! I just wish that unit was not so far from where I live in northern Utah. That really is my only hang up for that unit. I want to be able to scout like I have always wanted to after waiting the 18 years.
Cheers, Pete

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom