I know nothing

Alwayshunting

Very Active Member
I know nothing about hunting Africa but am starting to get the itch to go.
Can it be done on a 10k budget? What animals could be done for this?

I can look at all the websites and advertisements in the world, but I realize this isn't reality...

With gratituity, airfare and all the miscellaneous costs, what is the realistic amount to expect to spend? I'll be wanting to bring everything home with me but I would be happy with just euro mounts...

You can do a great hunt with airfare for under 10,000.00 but then you would need to decide on what taxidermy you would want done and then cost would go up.

Pm me and I can give you a great place in Namibia to go were you could hunt 6 or 7 trophy animals be under your amount even with airfare.

Ten to twelve seems to be about right for the entry level plains game hunt. I did the last one for much less. It really just depends on what you want to do.

For me, travelling from the west coast airfare is 1300 to 1500 round trip.

Find a package that interests you for 7 days or more which will run ??? I would say 6 to 8K

Tips just depends. There are some tipping guides out there and it all really depends on the circumstances. These folks are usually working hard so dont be a tightwad here. Plan on tipping the guide, the trackers and skinners, the cook, and the house staff. It may sound like a lot but your dollars go a long way in Africa.

Taxidermy and shipping of trophies home. This is the wildcard. If you go on a cull hunt, you won't spend anything on this, you have the memories and the photos. If you are going over to collect something... the sky is the limit.

On a side note - the funnest hunts I have been on are cull hunts. The reason is that you are not worrying about making a "book" or finding a "trophy." It is a relaxed hunt that allows you to just have fun, hunting what needs to be culled, and enjoying the everyday life. The PH is usually more at ease as well as he is just there to help you and the landowner achieve a management goal. These are the cheapest hunts by far and you get all the fun (and more) for much less in cost. This is NOT the hunt to go on if you are dreaming of bringing home trophies. It does suck when a big kudu bull steps out and the PH tells you to shoot the dink standing beside it. With these hunts, most outfits will still allow you to take trophies but that then puts you in the box of having to ship something home which is very expensive. If you are going to ship one trophy, it's just as easy and cost effective to ship a bunch.

Have fun as planning is half the fun. However, you might as well plan two trips as everyone always starts thinking about going back on the first day of their first trip.

Don?t do it. Once you go you will be planning your return trip before you leave.

You can spend as much as you want or as little as you want.

Send me a PM and I can give you some info.

I have been to South Africa, Botswana and Namibia. I love all three countries.

That's funny. Cause I'm already planning two trips.
My number one hunting buddy is 6 years old and in full pout that daddy is planning this trip without her. But figured I better go once before trying to take her...
Which leads to a follow up question. What are the logistics of doing this with a little one? She's been on a dozen hunts in multiple states (easy hunts like antelope and cow elk) so understands traveling and hunting. Is there safety concerns?

Zero issues with a kid In the three places I have been. The outfitters love kids. They are the future. Taking my son next year. In fact everyone in our group is but one person and this is his first safari. Never had one safety issue.

No, in the infant stages of this. Talking to as many ppl with real world experience as I can. Hoping to go next June or so...

I took My son when he was 11 and had no problems. Most outfitters have no problems with anyone bringing there kids. There is some hoops to jump through though if your bringing a kid by your self with out your other half. Need to make sure you know the rules and have the paperwork you need to travel with a kid under 18.

Most outfitters will even let kids hunt a few animals at good pricing with you.

Just watch many more steps on planning a trip then picking an outfitter.

You're going to enjoy a fantastic time, but you need to choose wisely. For your budget, there are good options in Botswana, Namibia and South Africa. Figure out the main 1 or 2 animals you really want and plan around them. Though some will disagree with me, I'd avoid a hunt where the main animals are blesbok, impala, springbok and wildebeest. You can find a good hunt that focuses on Kudu, Gemsbok and Eland, which are more iconic and desirable; plus take a few other animals like impala and wildebeest.

You have options, and you've given your budget, so I'd focus on when you'd like to hunt (Kudu rut in May) and if there's a country you especially want to hunt. There are so many wonderful options, but you still need to choose wisely as some are better than others and some should be avoided at all costs. If you book your flight about 6-9 months out, you can fly round trip for about $1,000 or so, depending where you're flying from in USA and to in Africa.

I've hunted on 4 safaris for a total of 68 days in Zimbabwe, Botswana and South Africa and loved them all. Each was different than the others and I'd do all of them again. Leaving soon for a 12-day hunt in Zambia (not where you'd go for a 1st safari) and can't wait to get back to Africa. This trip will be focused on a big eland and Sitatunga, plus a few other animals like bushbuck, puku, warthog. Already have a 2019 safari booked with my son in Tanzania (big Buffalo) and thinking about a 2020 Buffalo hunt in Zimbabwe, probably a May hunt. As long as my health and funds hold out, I'll keep going back to Africa. It's a fantastic addiction to be afflicted with.

PM me if you'd like some suggestions of top quality safari operators who also are great with kids.

I must be looking in all the wrong places for airline tickets. I have never paid under 2k and some closer to 3k for cattle coach flights. I have booked over six months in advance. All my flights were SLC to ATL then onto Joburg. Then my final destination flight such as Windhoek. Maun of Port Elizabeth.

Kudu always make an amazing first safari. Blue W, Impala and Zebra are always available.

I found a place for next year that I will never touch the pricing on again. I did a ton of research and it all came together.

I don't use a booking agent for Africa or at least so far I have not. Just a personal preference as there are some really good ones. I like to work directly with the owner/operator. Again. A personal preference.

>I must be looking in all
>the wrong places for airline
>tickets. I have never paid
>under 2k and some closer
>to 3k for cattle coach
>flights. I have booked over
>six months in advance. All
>my flights were SLC to
>ATL then onto Joburg. Then
>my final destination flight such
>as Windhoek. Maun of Port
>Elizabeth.
>
>Kudu always make an amazing first
>safari. Blue W, Impala and
>Zebra are always available.
>
>I found a place for next
>year that I will never
>touch the pricing on again.
>I did a ton of
>research and it all came
>together.
>
>I don't use a booking agent
>for Africa or at least
>so far I have not.
>Just a personal preference as
>there are some really good
>ones. I like to work
>directly with the owner/operator. Again.
>A personal preference.

I booked my Zambia flights through Shawn Kennedy of Gracy Travel, on Emirates (which is far from cheapest airline). Even paying a premium for better seat location and paying travel agent commission, my cost for San Francisco to Lusaka, round trip, is $1,700. My girlfriend is flying over later and her flight is the same cost, which even includes an overnight hotel room in Dubai.

I just looked up flights for next May from San Francisco to Johannesburg and there are multiple airlines with great fares. SwissAir is $1,050; while Virgin Atlantic and British are both around $925-950 round trip.

There are all kinds of deals in Africa, but I wouldn't be basing my selection primarily off of who has the lowest price. One usually gets what he pays for and an African safari isn't the place to go with the cheapest option. You already know that there are great options like Tholo in Botswana that are very affordable and who give a great safari, even though someone else may charge a bit less. If overall budget dictates the trip, save some $$ on your flights and spend it on your hunt.

If your divorced you will need paperwork from here to take your child out of the country for sure. New travel laws went in place a few years ago because of child trafficking.

Once you know your going for sure and if you do not have a passport better get that part started.

By the way, I just looked up SLC to JNB for next May. Least expensive I found is Alaska and Emirates (each way better than Delta, IMO) which comes in at $1,377 round trip. Or, you can go American and British for $1,408 r/t. That's from Salt Lake City.

>By the way, I just looked
>up SLC to JNB for
>next May. Least expensive
>I found is Alaska and
>Emirates (each way better than
>Delta, IMO) which comes in
>at $1,377 round trip.
>Or, you can go American
>and British for $1,408 r/t.
> That's from Salt
>Lake City.

I am paying you to book my flights. :) Gracy has always done my flights and rifle permits. I love Shawn and the team. I think my biggest issue is I love going in July which is about the most expensive time. And once again, next year I am goIng back in July. I love the cooler time of year and my son is out of school.

Not all flights are the same though. To many make taking a gun way to hard and some maybe cheaper but I will take the direct 15 hour flight out of jfk at 1800 over some flight that maybe 1300 but is over 25 hours of flying time.

Not taking a gun some flights might be ok but so many flights are just longer then I want to fly to save a few hundred.

I'm not too worried about the length of flight. I'm making a 36 hour layover in Dubai on the way over, so that breaks up my flights. On the way back, it's about 25 hours total time. Might be a bit longer, but Emirates beats the hell out of most other airlines for comfort and amenities.

With the kids: be sure to learn the rules. My first trip over was with two daughters (12 and 16) and I didnt need a thing. The next trip over with just the youngest and I needed all kinds of paperwork. I had everything and didnt have a problem. Cannot recall where I found the rules. Check with with your travel agent or airline.

For flights: I have flown out of Sacramento, Portland, and Reno. By far, Reno was my favorite and hope to do it again.
I believe studies have been done that booking about 45 days out is optimum for pricing, but I have never been that ballsy. I watch for sales and play with my schedule until I get what I want. Not everyone has the luxury to fly out on a Tuesday but you may wish to play with on line booking apps to see what dates work best. Also dont be afraid to use a booking agent to see what they can do for you.

I will be making the trip to RSA next May, which reminds me. If you can start your trip and end your trip before June 1, you will save $. If you go after June 1, airline prices go up.

Good Luck. I hope this helped a little.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-30-18 AT 12:17PM (MST)[p]I just got back from the eastern cape in August and could answer some of your questions if you want to pm me. It was amazing!!

I got a round trip ticket between Seattle and Johannesburg through Dubai on Emirates for about $700 a couple years ago. That's an unusually low price, but Emirates is still great for hunters from the western states who don't want to travel with a rifle.

Flights seem to be running higher this year (2019). I have been waiting for sales for the trip I have planned in May and have not seen any come through yet. The prices are not unreasonable, I just like to find deals.

>I must be looking in all
>the wrong places for airline
>tickets. I have never paid
>under 2k and some closer
>to 3k for cattle coach
>flights. I have booked over
>six months in advance. All
>my flights were SLC to
>ATL then onto Joburg. Then
>my final destination flight such
>as Windhoek. Maun of Port
>Elizabeth.
>
>Kudu always make an amazing first
>safari. Blue W, Impala and
>Zebra are always available.
>
>I found a place for next
>year that I will never
>touch the pricing on again.
>I did a ton of
>research and it all came
>together.
>
>I don't use a booking agent
>for Africa or at least
>so far I have not.
>Just a personal preference as
>there are some really good
>ones. I like to work
>directly with the owner/operator. Again.
>A personal preference.

I'm pretty close to 2k per flight as well from SLC to JoBerg. I think the cheapest I paid was 1500 and that was in 2012 and the trip this year was right at 1800 and I still had 600 to get to PE.

But I am with you, CAELK, wanna book mine next time too?

just remember the time of year has a lot to do with cost flights are cheaper jan through june1. The flight cost more june 1 to mid aug or early sept normally then come back down in sept but a lot more come oct 1 through dec. I have noticed the last few years I did get some better fares booking later as in april for my july trips.

Guys, there are many wonderful months to hunt in Africa, not just June-July-August. On my 6 safaris, I’ve hunted in May, August, June, May again, September/October and this year in December. I’ve got another buffalo hunt planned for next year and it’s going to be in May. If you’re open minded about when to go, you can save enough on flights (and sometimes other costs like your daily rate) that it really matters. Lots of cancellation or quota filling hunts come on offer late, like around August & September. If you’re flexible with dates as well as what you’re going to hunt and with whom, you can find some smoking deals with well regarded operators by waiting.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom