I miss the deer in Bountiful!!

halfassed

My flowers have never looked better, but I miss having deer around my house in Bountiful Ut. I have only had one doe wondering around since the trap and transplant. Anyone else been seeing deer?

Better get up there!!!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-21-15 AT 05:22PM (MST)[p]>My flowers have never looked better,
>but I miss having deer
>around my house in Bountiful
>Ut. I have only
>had one doe wondering around
>since the trap and transplant.
> Anyone else been seeing
>deer?
>
>
>Better get up there!!!

Don't fret! You'll just have to go to the Cedar Mountains west of Skull Valley where they were transplanted to see them. But you may have to do it sometime soon 'cause those mountains (along with much of the Newfoundlands) are part of the scheduled Utah Test and Training Range expansion.

I'm sure new ones will take their place soon.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
Will you LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook! I need a friend....

>I'm sure new ones will take
>their place soon.
>
>Brian Latturner
>MonsterMuleys.com
>Will you LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook!
>I need a friend....

Let's hope so!

Isn't it awesome how they transplant them during the winter months so they get some of the migratory deer off the mountain too and not just the so called "problematic" city dwellers. What a crock! Why not trap them in the summer time so you aren't throwing the legitimate winter range deer in the mix. I swear the division is on a mission to decimate the herd on the front in Davis. Hunts non-stop from August to December, wwwaaaayyy to many tags for a unit that is 85% private, cats galore. Sweet bro! Can't wait till this round of dedicated is over so I can move to greener pastures.

Half of cache valley is planning the same garbage. We have been working on an alternate trapping plan that doesn't happen during the winter months. Anyone with ideas feel free to share them. There's a facebook page and group set up for this called cache wildlife avocation. If we come up with a successful plan it can be adopted by city's who are considering winter trapping. Too many migratory deer were trapped and removed in north Logan to call the winter trapping program an ethical option.

It doesn't take much driving through the foothills in bountiful to realize that there are still a lot of deer in town. Saw 9 does from the back porch of my aunts house mid day two weeks ago. The herds in the hills past the houses don't appear to be hurting at all from what I see either. But hey, what do I know? I'm only up there 2 or 3 times a week for most of the year. There are plenty of deer and even some really nice bucks. Eliminating a few car accidents and complaints from the people who are having their gardens eaten probably isn't the worst thing in the world(not saying I support the transplants from a survivability standpoint)..however, I feel that anyone claiming the sky is falling with the deer on this unit is being a bit disingenuous.

I probably don't notice a differance my house is only a hoyt shot away from the "B". Moron. Not saying it's just the transplants if you read my last post. But the quality the last 5 years on the davis front has slipped due to a number of causes, too many tags and guys with 1000 yard guns is a major one. And a 4 month long season dosnt help either. And yes it's a little discouraging when they trap the deer in the winter when they could be taking a few that are just on thier winter range or what was before the houses moved in. By the way the majority of bountiful residents voted not to do anything with the deer in the city, but that vote was shot down. Most residents like having deer in there yard. It's not like the city is overrun with deer. The car/deer accidents excuse is just that. The speed limits are 25 and 35 on the main streets, if you are trucking deer in a 25mph speed zone you shouldn't be driving.

fullthrottle- I couldn't agree more with you. I live just a few blocks below you and can vouch for everything you said. My sister-in-law is on the city council and I've been giving her an earful for years now (since the vote you mentioned). I went with her to a trap site and "helped" once this past winter. Nobody had a good answer for doing this during the winter. They just said if they stay below Davis Blvd they won't get migratory deer. BS! It's just the DWR's offseason and they need something to do. And of course the DWR won't post this on the Dedicated Hunter page for service hours because it would actually be a service project that involves mule deer.

I love seeing the deer in town. People need to quit crying about their tulips and sit back and enjoy the wildlife while they still can.

No need for calling me a moron. You have your observations which are valid. We're seeing different things apparently, but I'm not talking about Bountiful right by the B. It's ok to have a difference in opinion without getting riled up about it. I simply stated that maybe it wasn't the worst thing in the world, and that there are still plenty of deer in town(maybe not right by your house?). The original poster asked what we were seeing. I responded honestly. Maybe I missed the part of the post where he said "anyone else been seeing deer?(but please only respond if you are seeing the exact same thing I am.)"

I personally think that the deer aren't that big of a problem in town. People that choose to build on the hill should be willing to accept the deer as a part of the package. Was just trying to look at it from the perspective of some of the people who do complain. I agree with you on the winter trapping thing, that doesn't seem to make a ton of sense. However, I'm not blowing smoke when I say I see more deer in the area I hike/hunt, and haven't seen a decline in bucks either. But like I said, I don't hunt with the crowd by the B. Take it for what it is.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom