I need a mule deer hunt for this fall…any guides/outfitters please check in.

Buckfever34

Anyone work with an outfit that can get a guy in this falI? I need something for the Sept/Oct timeframe. Rifle only. No sleeping in tents lol.

I’m not currently sitting on a lot of points for anywhere so needs to be an easy tag to acquire.

Price really doesn’t matter. I am open to any state will be driving from Indiana cause I don’t like to fly. I just like to get out and chase mulies and have a good time.

Thanks,
Clint

Contact Chris with Western Wildlife Adventures. His ad is under the hunt classifieds page here. He can get you in the Nevada guides draw, which gives you better NR odds for drawing a Nevada mule deer tag

Thanks I’ve been in contact with Chris. Low odds to try and plan something for him this year as I don’t currently have any NV points.

I’ve considered Nebraska but the timing for season there just doesn’t work for my season here at home and my 7 year old won’t want me missing any time here to take him out and chase whitetails.

With not many points and money not seeing to be a major concern I would look at Alberta. Some good choices there. You might also look at Colorado. Many of the outfitters there have access to landowner vouchers so that is a viable option.

Our mule deer hunts are basically "full forever" with returning clients. I talked to another Wyoming outfitter that is a friend recently and he said he is now booking for 2028. The good places that are easy to draw are likely to be full. It's amazing that's the case.

I’ve considered Nebraska but the timing for season there just doesn’t work for my season here at home and my 7 year old won’t want me missing any time here to take him out and chase whitetails.
Understood. The only options during September and October are statewide archery or rifle doe along some of the rivers. If December would work, that entire month is open for muzzle loader season. In lines with scopes are allowed in Nebraska so it is virtually a rifle hunt. I would only recommend this if going guided. The little bit of public in Nebraska gets absolutely hammered.

Probably some decent CWMU’s in Utah that could get you in this fall for rifle hunting in your timeframe. Maybe reach out to Serge at Urge to Hunt to see what recommendations he might have.

Look into Utah CWMU’s if money is no issue. You will just need the contact the operator to see what their availability is for 2023 and if the hunt and accommodations works for you. A few to look into; Deseret, Ensign Ranch, Heaston East, Jacob’s Creek, Redd Ranch, Two Bear, Skull Crack, Castle Valley Outdoors.

I would probably be trying to get a Alberta combo mule deer/whitetail hunt if it was me and if money was not an issue.

Have fun

Look into Utah CWMU’s if money is no issue. You will just need the contact the operator to see what their availability is for 2023 and if the hunt and accommodations works for you. A few to look into; Deseret, Ensign Ranch, Heaston East, Jacob’s Creek, Redd Ranch, Two Bear, Skull Crack, Castle Valley Outdoors.

I would probably be trying to get a Alberta combo mule deer/whitetail hunt if it was me and if money was not an issue.

Have fun
I think Alberta rifle hunts are in November, but I could be wrong.

I think Alberta rifle hunts are in November, but I could be wrong.

Correct. Or, I would be heading there. My little man would be devastated if I missed a week of hunting here with him during the rut. I love that he is into it; so, I'm gonna do all I can to keep that fire lit.

Anyone work with an outfit that can get a guy in this falI? I need something for the Sept/Oct timeframe. Rifle only. No sleeping in tents lol.

I’m not currently sitting on a lot of points for anywhere so needs to be an easy tag to acquire.

Price really doesn’t matter. I am open to any state will be driving from Indiana cause I don’t like to fly. I just like to get out and chase mulies and have a good time.

Thanks,
Clint
You can call Boulder Creek Outfitters in Idaho, they have ranch tags for mullies, whitetail, and elk.

Thanks,
Clint
All of our rifle hunts are in November here in New Mexico but we do have some units with great draw odds in the Outfitter pool. If interested in talking about hunt dates and options give me a call. 575-808-7268

Vaquero Outfitters Az. Private land easy draw.
Harassing wildlife: Antelope-herding case ends with deferred sentences
153107a.jpg
Chad Smith

The Daily Courier

PRESCOTT - A local hunting guide, charged with two counts of knowingly using an aircraft to harass antelope in August 2014, has lost his hunting and guide licenses but was given a deferred sentence, according to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

Chad Smith, owner of Vaquero Outfitters, based in Prescott, and manager of the ORO Ranch about 45 miles northwest of Prescott, was charged in the case, along with helicopter pilot Christopher Atkinson of Texas.

Smith will have to divest himself of ownership or financial interest in the outfitting company.

Harassing wildlife with a helicopter is a federal offense - a misdemeanor - punishable with a maximum fine of $100,000 and up to six months in prison.

Smith and Atkinson were each given a deferred sentence Monday, Dec. 14, in federal court, and will face no prison time or fine if they remain violation-free for four years.

They're not allowed to seek or obtain hunting permits or engage in hunting at all, and may not operate a helicopter in Arizona.

"Every antelope in sight freaked out and started running," one young hunter told investigators, according to the 36-page complaint written by Fish and Wildlife investigator Preston Fant and filed in March 2015.

"We could see (the helicopter) pushing the antelope towards the ORO Ranch and flying very slowly as to stay right behind them," another hunter wrote about the dozen pronghorn.

It's illegal in Arizona for people outside state or federal agencies to capture wildlife, Arizona Game and Fish Wildlife Manager Scott Poppenberger told the Courier in March.

The defendants, according to the filing, denied chasing or herding antelope in northern Yavapai County. Smith had told investigators they were herding only cattle.

Smith also denied having any hunting clients on the property, and said he never guided Atkinson until a wildlife officer showed him a photo of Atkinson with a trophy mule deer buck on Smith's Facebook page, the Courier previously reported.

Atkinson said he hunted on the ORO in 2012 and 2013, he had a mule deer tag for 2014, and he paid Smith $12,500 to hunt the ORO in 2014.

In 2003, Smith lost his guide license and hunting privileges for five years and was fined $2,450 by the Arizona Game and Fish Commission for using a vehicle for his client to prevent a trophy buck antelope from running onto a neighboring ranch, according to online commission minutes.

He was convicted in Prescott Justice Court of taking wildlife from a vehicle and possessing unlawfully taken wildlife, according to the commission minutes. The hunter also was found guilty of shooting from a roadway.

oon an added note - us wildlife services will have a listing of this case -- can not hunt or fish for 4 yrs was also included - I believe for both smith and pilot

here agin fining these violators is the only real thing they understand -- hitting them where it counts - basically this isnt going to prevent anything

4 yrs -slap on wrist -- it should have been permanent revoked guiding/hunting period - already had it removed once ! learned nothing then

this was a plea agreement - shoulda went to court!!!

Harassing wildlife: Antelope-herding case ends with deferred sentences
153107a.jpg
Chad Smith

The Daily Courier

PRESCOTT - A local hunting guide, charged with two counts of knowingly using an aircraft to harass antelope in August 2014, has lost his hunting and guide licenses but was given a deferred sentence, according to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

Chad Smith, owner of Vaquero Outfitters, based in Prescott, and manager of the ORO Ranch about 45 miles northwest of Prescott, was charged in the case, along with helicopter pilot Christopher Atkinson of Texas.

Smith will have to divest himself of ownership or financial interest in the outfitting company.

Harassing wildlife with a helicopter is a federal offense - a misdemeanor - punishable with a maximum fine of $100,000 and up to six months in prison.

Smith and Atkinson were each given a deferred sentence Monday, Dec. 14, in federal court, and will face no prison time or fine if they remain violation-free for four years.

They're not allowed to seek or obtain hunting permits or engage in hunting at all, and may not operate a helicopter in Arizona.

"Every antelope in sight freaked out and started running," one young hunter told investigators, according to the 36-page complaint written by Fish and Wildlife investigator Preston Fant and filed in March 2015.

"We could see (the helicopter) pushing the antelope towards the ORO Ranch and flying very slowly as to stay right behind them," another hunter wrote about the dozen pronghorn.

It's illegal in Arizona for people outside state or federal agencies to capture wildlife, Arizona Game and Fish Wildlife Manager Scott Poppenberger told the Courier in March.

The defendants, according to the filing, denied chasing or herding antelope in northern Yavapai County. Smith had told investigators they were herding only cattle.

Smith also denied having any hunting clients on the property, and said he never guided Atkinson until a wildlife officer showed him a photo of Atkinson with a trophy mule deer buck on Smith's Facebook page, the Courier previously reported.

Atkinson said he hunted on the ORO in 2012 and 2013, he had a mule deer tag for 2014, and he paid Smith $12,500 to hunt the ORO in 2014.

In 2003, Smith lost his guide license and hunting privileges for five years and was fined $2,450 by the Arizona Game and Fish Commission for using a vehicle for his client to prevent a trophy buck antelope from running onto a neighboring ranch, according to online commission minutes.

He was convicted in Prescott Justice Court of taking wildlife from a vehicle and possessing unlawfully taken wildlife, according to the commission minutes. The hunter also was found guilty of shooting from a roadway.

oon an added note - us wildlife services will have a listing of this case -- can not hunt or fish for 4 yrs was also included - I believe for both smith and pilot

here agin fining these violators is the only real thing they understand -- hitting them where it counts - basically this isnt going to prevent anything

4 yrs -slap on wrist -- it should have been permanent revoked guiding/hunting period - already had it removed once ! learned nothing then

this was a plea agreement - shoulda went to court!!!
Chad smith doesn’t own Vaquero, it is run by Corey Pritchard. They are an upstanding outfit. I know nothing about the previous owner, but Chad smith no longer runs the outfit. Also the ORO is an amazing piece of ground the bulls and bucks they take off there every year are amazing!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom