I want to hunt Coues Deer! Now how do I go about doing that?

Ramaha

I really want to hunt them, but I don't know where to start. It seems like it could me a long term expensive thing? Am I wrong? I'd like to hunt where we have a decent chance at taking a mature buck, doesn't have to be trophy size...but mature. Where/how can me and my buddy hunt them without having to put in for years before we have a chance at being drawn?

We have the guns and most all of the gear.

TIA

I would recommend doing some research on the units near the Arizona/Mexico border, pick one and go hunt. My brother and I did that very thing 2 years ago and it was one of our favorite hunts ever. It can be done relatively cheaply and requires very few points (0-2) depending on the unit and season you choose. We went with the later November season just after Thanksgiving and saw a bunch of deer and killed two decent bucks. Be prepared to glass a bunch, but in our experience the deer weren’t too hard to find. It is a very fun hunt!!

C9E753B8-B6D2-4C7C-98C2-19A7E33DE8F5.jpeg

19B678FF-F686-4040-AF92-DE745814E7E0.jpeg

Last year was my 1st year trying for Couse. They are a blast to hunt. Pick a unit you can draw, get some higher power binoculars mounted on a tripod and go for it. They really are very active animals, you'll see plenty, but you will sift through a lot of does and very small bucks finding mature animals. The bigger bucks will be in side canyons or ridgetops. Best to hike up a canyon a ways then sit down and let your eyes do the work. Remember that they need water and will be within a reasonable distance from it. Realize also that they are in the mountains and canyons while the mule deer frequent the flats. Don't stress over the illegal immigrants as there are 100's of border patrol out. In fact it seemed safest place in America to me. Don't over complicate the process, trust your skills and go for it!

It's not that difficult to draw a permit if you really want to hunt. The toughest draws are the Dec. hunts, but the late Nov. or even the Oct. seasons can be just as fruitful. Remember, the same deer that roam a unit in Dec. don't magically hatch from nowhere; they live there all year long.

We're sold out of new copies, so see if you can find a used one of my books on Amazon. It has lots of info in it.

Good luck.

Great input Outdoordan - that was very much our experience as well. We weren't quite sure what to expect with the illegal activity near the border, but we never had an issue and there were plenty of border patrol around if there were any problems. Deer were very active at first light. My brother killed his buck right after first light and I killed mine in the later morning hours after spotting my buck and a couple smaller bucks moving towards water on a north facing ridge. Good glass and tripods are key!

I would recommend doing some research on the units near the Arizona/Mexico border, pick one and go hunt. My brother and I did that very thing 2 years ago and it was one of our favorite hunts ever. It can be done relatively cheaply and requires very few points (0-2) depending on the unit and season you choose. We went with the later November season just after Thanksgiving and saw a bunch of deer and killed two decent bucks. Be prepared to glass a bunch, but in our experience the deer weren’t too hard to find. It is a very fun hunt!!

View attachment 40045

View attachment 40046
Thank you for responding! Great info and awesome bucks! Thanx again.

Last year was my 1st year trying for Couse. They are a blast to hunt. Pick a unit you can draw, get some higher power binoculars mounted on a tripod and go for it. They really are very active animals, you'll see plenty, but you will sift through a lot of does and very small bucks finding mature animals. The bigger bucks will be in side canyons or ridgetops. Best to hike up a canyon a ways then sit down and let your eyes do the work. Remember that they need water and will be within a reasonable distance from it. Realize also that they are in the mountains and canyons while the mule deer frequent the flats. Don't stress over the illegal immigrants as there are 100's of border patrol out. In fact it seemed safest place in America to me. Don't over complicate the process, trust your skills and go for it!
Thank you for your response and the advice! I appreciate it.

It's not that difficult to draw a permit if you really want to hunt. The toughest draws are the Dec. hunts, but the late Nov. or even the Oct. seasons can be just as fruitful. Remember, the same deer that roam a unit in Dec. don't magically hatch from nowhere; they live there all year long.

We're sold out of new copies, so see if you can find a used one of my books on Amazon. It has lots of info in it.

Good luck.
I will look for a copy of your book. Thank you!

Where do you live? Will you be able to scout at all? Would you stay in a hotel, camp or pack in? Would you be packing a spotting scope?

Coues are fun to hunt, could become your new addiction.

It's all about having a tripod, and the best glass you can reasonably afford. It can be done with cheap glass but the better the glass the better the comfort of staring through it all day. On the cheaper end of glass id recommend at the least something like vortex vulture or vipers. But if you can go meopta even better and if you can afford swaros even better.

I live in 35a close to 30b and 34b. If you wanna chat let me know, I can point you in the right direction.

Where do you live? Will you be able to scout at all? Would you stay in a hotel, camp or pack in? Would you be packing a spotting scope?

It's all about having a tripod, and the best glass you can reasonably afford. It can be done with cheap glass but the better the glass the better the comfort of staring through it all day. On the cheaper end of glass id recommend at the least something like vortex vulture or vipers. But if you can go meopta even better and if you can afford swaros even better.

I live in 35a close to 30b and 34b. If you wanna chat let me know, I can point you in the right direction.
Thank you for the info. We live in MI so scouting is not an option. Not sure where we would stay yet. I guess it depends on where we end up hunting. We have trucks, an RV, trailers, and SXS’s at our disposal. Getting a little old to pack in though. I’ve done it, but can’t haul what I used to. Thank you again.

Excellent advice! ? Eyes & binoculars do the work . Use them plus elevation. Take a good rangefinder too. Those deer are hard to see— the gray desert ghosts, like smoke in the wind ?. I lived in Flagstaff 14 year’s, hunted them a number of times, easier to draw than the mule deer in Northern Arizona. Bring the best binoculars & spotting scope -compact- you can afford, tripod is super important, needs to be very solid & easily adjustable. The last 2 weeks of Dec are prime time rut, but much tougher to draw. You’ll have a fun ? time !! Quiz the Game Managers & Wildlife Biologists for the units you find most interesting to hunt. The deer are there. But stay away from the border areas ! With Mexico! Too dangerous, in my opinion anyway. Play it safe ! Best of Luck ?!
Jerry Gold
Windsor, Colorado ???

I am hoping to head down from Utah with a rifle couse tag at some point but I am likely going to have some points by that time.

So hard to decide which out of states hunts to try and draw each year. I have 3 points now and this year I have a limited buck tag in Utah, next year a Colorado elk hunt planned and 2023 I need to take a nephew to Wyoming to Pronghorn hunt. So the earliest chance I will have 5 or 6 points and that's not including my NV deer points and Wyoming Elk points that need used at some point.

Hoping to hone in on a decent hunt by that point. Might head down in December for some Quail hunting to scout things out

I’ve got the book if your still looking for it. Pm your address and I’ll send it to you and you can keep it. Good luck!
Does your offer still stand? I sent you a PM a while back. I would be happy to pay you for it. Please let me know. Thank you again.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom