Ibex Population Reduction

BigDaddyL

I found out last week that I was selected for the Ibex Population Herd Reduction Hunt occurring March 3-7, 2018. The hunt is for a Female/Immature with 15" or less horns. After the harvest, I can take the skull in to NMGF for seal attachment. This will then enter me into a special incentive drawing for an any weapon mature billie hunt.

I have a question:

1. What do you recommend that I carry with me for this hunt? Should I plan on staying up on the mountain and therefore carry a lot with me? Or, will it be possible to remain at the bottom for the majority or return to the bottom each night? I am going to DIY this hunt with help from friends, so I just want to plan accordingly. I will be shooting a 7mm Remington Magnum that I am comfortable shooting to 700 yards if necessary.

As always, thank you for all the info and advice you all give. I appreciate it very much.

It'll be fine to hunt from the bottom each day. You'll be able to glass and get within reasonable rifle range without much trouble. Good luck!

nmhunt4food trekking the desert

They are a very small animal. I would not recommend shooting at 700 yards. It is plenty easy to get under 400 if you know how to hunt. The little billies also hit 15" very fast so make sure not to shoot one that is too big. They confiscate several every year that are too large.

I will be out the same weekend going solo once again. I will be driving out from ABQ if anyone wants to team up? I've been successful solo every year it's just fun hanging with some friends. Good luck guys save one for me!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-08-18 AT 08:48PM (MST)[p]I like the idea of meeting up and maybe even teaming up. Feel free to PM me as well if you want to link up. I have done it before and had a great time with a fellow MM member.

Todd

I would seriously think about carrying an orange vest in your pack or wearing one in case you get in a situation where there are to many hunters in your area. It can get uncomfortable sometimes with that many hunters. Be safe and I hope you get one.

I was just up there helping out on the regular draw F-IM hunt. The amount of tags G&F is giving out is ridiculous. I doubt there are even 600 female ibex left on the mountain. I have hunted or helped out on hunts for the past 5 years in a row and I am seeing about 15-20% of the daily numbers I would see 3-5 years ago. It is looking like the G&F is going to shoot them down to really low numbers and it is going to be like the 1990's again.

From my observations I would say the top end trophy billies have pretty much all been shot out. I didn't see anything over 40". The herds you see now have a few nannies and a bunch of 20-30" young billies with a rare older white billy.

150 per hunt is significant, it's not like its 150 bow hunters. I've been on the mountain with 100 bow hunters and if you include their spotters your looking at 200-250 people on that mountain. The good thing is after the weekend it usually reduces down to the serious hunters which is good, but these are all rifle hunters shooting long distances in most cases. Having an orange vest is a great idea especially on a retrieval.

>I was just up there helping
>out on the regular draw
>F-IM hunt. The amount
>of tags G&F is giving
>out is ridiculous. I
>doubt there are even 600
>female ibex left on the
>mountain. I have hunted
>or helped out on hunts
>for the past 5 years
>in a row and I
>am seeing about 15-20% of
>the daily numbers I would
>see 3-5 years ago. It
>is looking like the G&F
>is going to shoot them
>down to really low numbers
>and it is going to
>be like the 1990's again.

NMGFD is the most incompetent in the country. Such a shame
>
>
>From my observations I would say
>the top end trophy billies
>have pretty much all been
>shot out. I didn't
>see anything over 40".
>The herds you see now
>have a few nannies and
>a bunch of 20-30" young
>billies with a rare older
>white billy.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-28-18 AT 04:06PM (MST)[p]The stated BLM optimum target for a sustainable ibex herd in the Floridas is 400 animals. FOUR HUNDRED IBEX. That's the deal, folks. 400 doesn't sound like much, but that's what they're working towards.

FWIW, when I did my OIL in 1994, the herd was reportedly 1500-1800 animals.

This sounds like madness to me. If there are so many ibex why is there so few tags. If there is to many females to males why not just up the nanny tags for a few years in a row and see how it goes, instead of just one big bang. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Follow the money? this hunt is nothing more than a cash cow for NMDGF! Your sale of wildlife at the finest. 600 permits at $103 a pop.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom