ID Residents, did the new NR tag quotas make a difference?

Daxter

Very Active Member
For 2021 IDFG put unit specific quotas on all the general deer units for non-residents. Did it make a big difference? Did you residents notice a difference in pressure/numbers from non-residents on the units?

As a non-resident it was sad seeing one of the last OTC mule deer hunts go away. I was also kind of bummed at the size of some of the units. For years I hunted a group of small units where we almost always hunted on the top of a range and hunted in 2 different units on our hunt, and now the tags are unit specific and we can't jump back and forth at all.

Just wondered how it went and if you guys noticed a change?

Thanks.

I was anxious to see if this would make a difference. I ended up drawing a limited hunt so didn't get to experience the difference. The limited hunt wasn't what I hoped. Lots of 2-3 year old bucks but nothing of size. One decent buck in 2 weeks of glassing and running all over the unit. I'm curious to see what the response is to this thread. A lot more residents this year than last.

I didn’t notice any difference at all. I don’t think the reduction was significant enough. Maybe spread out a little more having to pick a unit, but still saw about half the pressure from NR with half the residents being new transplants (so easy to spot)

I didn’t even hunt Deer, I feel bad for them, we have left them in a fragile place. IDFG is wiping out the Deer with there ridiculous over lapping seasons and tag numbers. I measure the best Bucks taken out of 52,44, 45 almost every year. 0 this year, first time I have seen this. Now will get to see what they will do with CWD. We have got to get Sportsman on the game and fish commission. The farm fish and game is running a meat market!

I didn’t even hunt Deer, I feel bad for them, we have left them in a fragile place. IDFG is wiping out the Deer with there ridiculous over lapping seasons and tag numbers. I measure the best Bucks taken out of 52,44, 45 almost every year. 0 this year, first time I have seen this. Now will get to see what they will do with CWD. We have got to get Sportsman on the game and fish commission. The farm fish and game is running a meat market!
That's why I've all but given up hunting mule deer. Just like them too much and feel bad for what our herds have to deal with. I have no problem putting the hurt on whitetails, though. Especially as they continue their march south of the Salmon River

Have not hunted general mule deer in years. Like others I’d feel bad killing a buck in this state now.

Have not hunted general mule deer in years. Like others I’d feel bad killing a buck in this state now.
I feel the exact same way you all do, and I live in Oregon which is even worse! One day Mule Deer will be extinct. Except for a few town deer, you know the ones that live in the endless sea of subdivisions, and freeways.................

As a NR hunter, I had to alter my normal hunting habits this year because I hunt on the border of two units. I hope it made a difference but I have my doubts. I just had to hunt south from camp everyday instead of alternating north and south.

I hunt whitetail only in Idaho and haven't hunted muleys for years. I typically see some nice muleys during the whitetail hunt but I sure didn't see very many this year. Sad thing is that the whitetails were decimated as well from EHD. Seems like elk are the only thing left doing well in the area.......and wolves.-----SS

I saw a big difference in hunting pressure this year. Way less NR where I hunt. I hope they make the general season tags a draw tho. I know of lots of NR that weren’t fast enough internet to get a tag. Would be a more fair way of distributing tags for the high demand areas.

I didn't notice a difference in number of nonresidents vs residents. Limiting nonresidents to one unit is much more of a social issue instead of a biological issue.

For biologic reasons, they should really make the 2nd tag that residents can buy unit specific. It is bad management biologically and socially when there are left over nonresident tags in a low demand unit and a resident can buy it and use it as a second tag in a high demand unit.

I didn't notice a difference in number of nonresidents vs residents. Limiting nonresidents to one unit is much more of a social issue instead of a biological issue.

For biologic reasons, they should really make the 2nd tag that residents can buy unit specific. It is bad management biologically and socially when there are left over nonresident tags in a low demand unit and a resident can buy it and use it as a second tag in a high demand unit.
Agreed. Except for whitetails. Those should be statewide and reduced price so residents can thin them bastards out. My buddy killed a Wt up high at 8000 feet in eastern Idaho this year! Moving in on mule deer habitat.

Agreed. Except for whitetails. Those should be statewide and reduced price so residents can thin them bastards out. My buddy killed a Wt up high at 8000 feet in eastern Idaho this year! Moving in on mule deer habitat.

As you probably know I was talking about mule deer.

The F&G has been putting extra pressure on whitetails in Eastern Idaho for over 20 years. In some areas the 50X tag 20 years ago made a significant impact. If the F&G had an unlimited number of whitetail tags at $10 each for residents and nonresidents in a unit with a 2 month either sex season we would see a drastic decrease in whitetails in those units. Guys that like to hunt whitetails in that unit would be upset though.

I killed this one at 6000' in mule deer country. I used to love the freedom of hunting several units for whitetail only but I totally get why they imposed unit specific restrictions. It was slightly annoying this year but I'm still happy for the opportunity. Not too many places a guy can hunt with two tags in his pocket these days.-----SS
IMG_2620 (1).jpg

Yes, I think it made a big difference, it reminded me of what it was like 15 years ago. I expect unit specific resident tags to come in near future.
What region do you hunt? Literally the opposite for me in SE and Central. If one could snap their fingers and all the NR were gone there would have been half the pressure. With a short season, they stay all two weeks as well. Everyday is opening day. I went Tuesday-Thursday in a place we usually see very few people and the place was crawling with California, Oregon, Washington, Wisconsin…Idaho needs a draw with points for NR. Adopt the Wyoming system for them. Cut tags, make up on the revenue side by a point scheme.

What region do you hunt? Literally the opposite for me in SE and Central. If one could snap their fingers and all the NR were gone there would have been half the pressure. With a short season, they stay all two weeks as well. Everyday is opening day. I went Tuesday-Thursday in a place we usually see very few people and the place was crawling with California, Oregon, Washington, Wisconsin…Idaho needs a draw with points for NR. Adopt the Wyoming system for them. Cut tags, make up on the revenue side by a point scheme.
I think you’ll see resident tags cut as well, since most “residents” are basically cali transplants now

Most units were limited to around 150-250 tags so I doubt the nonresidents over crowded anywhere. This is such a worn out useless topic.
I’ll take a video for you next time. Easily more NR than residents hunting in Salmon/Leadore area. And they didn’t effectively cut many tags. Went with historical tag sales and where people said they hunt.

Image.jpeg

Idaho 2022 regs show a TOTAL of 300 tags for nonresident between the three units near Salmon/Leadore, 29,30,30a..thats combined between the 3 units..yeah, NR not over crowding.

Last edited:
come on jake wasn't what you were say'in just a few years ago, wife has a late tag this year, have put 30 days in so far, pretty disgusted with what we've seen so far. I guess we are into deer preservation this year, one will make it through until next year!

Idaho changed a ton for non residents, what else do you guys want???? Unless you do something about all of the residents your not going to see a change. The unit that I’ve always hunted gives away like 80 tags now

Idaho changed a ton for non residents, what else do you guys want???? Unless you do something about all of the residents your not going to see a change. The unit that I’ve always hunted gives away like 80 tags now
Slash NR tag numbers, NR draw only, NR price increase. You guys will all apply and pay whatever if you draw. Montana’s a good example of that. What’s it over a grand to hunt deer there if you draw a general tag? Good for them, it should be.

You and I do agree on one thing. The new “resident” hunters are mostly a joke. There all migrants. More reason to slash NR tags. At some point being the 2nd fastest growing state in the country has to be considered. Low hanging fruit is non residents. Maybe it goes further then that and maybe it doesn’t but in no way shape or form should tags be over the counter if you don’t live here

“Changed a ton?” Did you still get “your” tag to hunt “your” unit? After all the crying about the way too modest changes last year, I asked on here if anyone was unable to get a tag…seemed like everyone did. I am not against NR hunting here. Just limit it to once every 4 or 5 years like our neighbors. And yes, all the transplants are having a huge impact. I do see changes for residents coming. Sucks.

Utah is packed now, I’m watching prime farmland turn into freakin 1/3 acre lots, the starter home here is 350k, you guys complain about utah residents but a lot of them are transplants too

Seed field across the street sold for 5 million. I think it’s 25 acres or so. Now I’m no seed farmer but I bet it takes a while to make 5 million dollars on 25 acres of seed crop.

Getting crazy here. Average home price in ada county is 700K. Median income is 60k. We got plenty of non residents all of our own now

You are so clever. Deer? Absolutely the numbers are down, don’t justify so many tags. Elk? Numbers are very strong.
Just tonight, I had the only opportunity for a shot at a decent buck in unit 29 after three days of hunting. The problem? Three guys from California rode up on their side by side and screwed it up. Idaho is too generous to NR. Anyone who can’t admit that is a clown…especially someone from Utah
Today you had a chance at a buck???? Well then it was a whitetail because that's the only deer hunt open I believe......
UNLESS.....You are preying on an already suffering deer herd with your smoke pole???
Classic either way in this conversation.
Have I ever been in those units you ask???
Yes I pay taxes here and just put another log on the stove here.
Bet this unseasonably warm weather is hurting your hunt far worse than those evil Cali triplets.
You are a funny, confused guy.

Last edited:
Today you had a chance at a buck???? Well then it was a whitetail because that's the only deer hunt open I believe......
UNLESS.....You are preying on an already suffering deer herd with your smoke pole???
Bet this unseasonably warm weather is hurting your hunt far worse than those evil Cali triplets.
The pittance you pay in taxes here does not give you the same rights as a resident. Sorry. You are Utah through and through.
We get the mz tag every now and then and hunt a few days after Thanksgiving. 63 tags and three units, yet a fitting end was NR making their mark on our hunt. We didn’t “prey” on anything, just good memories and lots of discussion on how sad the changes we are seeing are. You are part of the problem blind. Entitled.

The warm weather benefits hunting unit 29 as most of those deer head for private or south facing hills on the other side of the highway out of the unit. So the lack of snow and warmer weather made it better for us. But spin it how you will. You have the answers for everything, cause you pay taxes here!

Lol.
A dwindling mule deer population and you are trying to shoot mature bucks off their doe groups.
Smooth move.
Utah no but one of largest, most fertile ranches in 29 is ours. We have fed the deer 2000 acres of irrigated alfalfa winter after winter. Enjoy walking the back fence line.
The problem is easy to see over time and shooting the rutting bucks the first week of December because you can is lame.
Congrats Lemhi County expert.

Lol.
A dwindling mule deer population and you are trying to shoot mature bucks off their doe groups.
Smooth move.
Utah no but one of largest, most fertile ranches in 29 is ours. We have fed the deer 2000 acres of irrigated alfalfa winter after winter. Enjoy walking the back fence line.
The problem is easy to see over time and shooting the rutting bucks the first week of December because you can is lame.
need any help with coyotes up there?

come on jake wasn't what you were say'in just a few years ago, wife has a late tag this year, have put 30 days in so far, pretty disgusted with what we've seen so far. I guess we are into deer preservation this year, one will make it through until next year!
Gemstate reserves the right to reverse opinions as conditions warrant. Mule deer are in a heap of trouble. Too many tags and consecutive harsh winters just friggin clobbered them. IDFG needs to quit acting like those tag numbers are set in stone.

Lol.
Smooth move.
I never claimed to be an expert, but have been hunting the Units around Leadore since 1993, early elk, general deer, mz deer and elk. We have learned a few things, found areas that produce, some that don’t. I am certainly not a tax paying NR from Utah, so I am intellectually disadvantaged compared to the likes of you Blind

IDexpert it's amazing what little you have learned since 1993 but not surprising.
Wrong on the depredation comments, wrong on the Utah, and generally wrong on most things you post.
I hope you find a big stinky, sage brush fed mule deer to grace your winter dinner table.
Yum.
And you have to have some Utah in you! The level of know-it -all and entitlement you exude screams Utah! If not, what state shaped your attitudes?
No mule deer for me. Haven’t shot one for years. Saw enough this fall to decide to leave them alone.

Did someone from Utah touch you? You seem angry
Nah. I love Utah. Many friends from there. The Utah residents I run into fishing or hunting Idaho…I’ve learned to despise them. That’s all. I thought that BNR had that same attitude, but he may simply suffer from feeling since he owns land, pays taxes, and feeds deer, he owns them and his opinion carries more weight than any Idaho resident.

-First, it was all the guys from UT/WA/CA
-Next, it will be all the guys from Boise/Nampa/Caldwell/Pocatello
Going to unit specific tags and limiting resident hunters is the following step
-Then, you'll probably go to a point system after a guy can't draw "his" unit 3-4 years in a row

The sad thing is you can't fix your way out of long-term drought by cutting buck tags, and some of these "solutions" will be permanent and will affect your hunting heritage forever.

Unit 73 limited non residents so all the residents started hunting there and the first couple years they sold more tags after making the non resident cap. Idaho Residents always say how stupid non residents are but hell that was a big stupid mistake on idahos part more hunters less revenue?

Unit 73 limited non residents so all the residents started hunting there and the first couple years they sold more tags after making the non resident cap. Idaho Residents always say how stupid non residents are but hell that was a big stupid mistake on idahos part more hunters less revenue?
They sold the same number of NR tags as always they just spread them out across all the units.

Luckily for us Utards, I-15 only goes north bound, and we never see red and blue plates in the holy land?

I'd be curious, how many guys bitching, are carrying 2tags?

Second, take it for what it's worth. This desire to pound NR "like other states", eventually makes NR much more valuable to G&F, and the State.

You dont seek to discourage NR tag sells, by making them worth 10x more than R.

BTW. Us idiots to the south, that you all despise, have a point system, no OTC, and hammer NR.

And our deer are in bad shape. You all are gonna **** bricks when you push for reductions to limit "the other guy", and then YOU spend October, playing golf as a reward.

But, might as well become just like the state you despise, that will teach them?

They sold the same number of NR tags as always they just spread them out across all

They sold the same number of NR tags as always they just spread them out across all the units.
Not in unit 73 and the point is why limit the number of non resident licenses in a unit when not limiting the number of hunters ??

Unit 73 limited non res hunters to take pressure of the unit yet sold more tags then they did before they limited non resident hunters?? so the had more hunters on unit 73 and took in less revenue in a unit that honestly should have a cap amount of hunter over all.

Say what you want but non resident hunters are not a bad thing.

Limiting non resident tags in a unit but not doing anything about the over all number is never going to help a deer herd.

The limitations were put in place because there were areas that had as much if not more nonresident pressure than there was from residents. This isn’t an uncommon practice in managing hunter density. Look at Wyoming for example. In both Region G and Region H which have limited nonresident tags available and now take around 6 to 8 points to draw a resident can hunt every year OTC.

Not in unit 73 and the point is why limit the number of non resident licenses in a unit when not limiting the number of hunters ??

Unit 73 limited non res hunters to take pressure of the unit yet sold more tags then they did before they limited non resident hunters?? so the had more hunters on unit 73 and took in less revenue in a unit that honestly should have a cap amount of hunter over all.

Say what you want but non resident hunters are not a bad thing.

Limiting non resident tags in a unit but not doing anything about the over all number is never going to help a deer herd.
it was never about the herd

Nope it was about existing residents selling their land too cheap so every Tom Dick and Harriett could buy it and become a resident.
Too Many Residents.

The limitations were put in place because there were areas that had as much if not more nonresident pressure than there was from residents. This isn’t an uncommon practice in managing hunter density. Look at Wyoming for example. In both Region G and Region H which have limited nonresident tags available and now take around 6 to 8 points to draw a resident can hunt every year OTC.
G and H are way different then areas like unit 73 in idaho .

Well good job in unit 73 I stand corrected if it was a mater of just way to many non resident hunters you fixed that and added a bunch more pressure from resident hunters on a already over hunted deer population and cut the revenue down smart move.

Luckily for us Utards, I-15 only goes north bound, and we never see red and blue plates in the holy land?

I'd be curious, how many guys bitching, are carrying 2tags?

Second, take it for what it's worth. This desire to pound NR "like other states", eventually makes NR much more valuable to G&F, and the State.

You dont seek to discourage NR tag sells, by making them worth 10x more than R.

BTW. Us idiots to the south, that you all despise, have a point system, no OTC, and hammer NR.

And our deer are in bad shape. You all are gonna **** bricks when you push for reductions to limit "the other guy", and then YOU spend October, playing golf as a reward.

But, might as well become just like the state you despise, that will teach them?
Nice rant.
Let me clarify my feelings on the matter.
Utah chooses to manage for quality/trophy, therefore limiting hunting opportunity. It sucks if all one wants is the chance to hunt every year.
Idaho has chosen to manage for opportunity as the hunting heritage runs deep to residents of this state. That being said, I agree with many sentiments, the massive influx of new "residents" to the state is a huge problem. The population of Idaho has grown greatly in the last 30 years. People who move here don't do it for the night life or the arts. They want to outdoor recreate. You what has effectively remained unchanged? NR tag allocations. Your state (and many others) restrict tags to residents and NR alike as management approach to grow big animals over giving opportunity. Idaho is the "opportunity" state for many of your states citizens. I get it. I see it every year. We talk to the same group of Utah elk hunters every September. They come every year, have for years and years. That opportunity is not available in your state to Idaho residents. We have a limited resource, way more demand than supply. In my opinion, every legal resident of the state should get hunting opportunities before those opportunities are given to NR. We shouldn't eliminate NR and the state never will. Go to a point system and draw only for NR. Cut tags to give NR opportunity about equal to what Wyoming does. You certainly know the limits Wyoming puts on NR, being from Utah, right? Currently it takes 4 points to draw general elk in Wyoming (can hunt every 5 years as a NR) and deer takes more for G and H (neighboring areas). Idaho has been and continues to be way too generous to NR. With the massive growth, there needs to be limits on tag numbers and it should start with NR, IMO. I know many of you disagree, because it will affect you individually. No other state, except maybe Colorado, gives anywhere near the opportunity to NR that Idaho does. And Colorado OTC have become a **** show, according to the people I have talked to who wont go back.
And yes, I see a day when Idaho residents will not be able to hunt every year. Gonna happen. But not before severe limitations are put on NR first.

Nice rant.
Utah chooses to manage for quality/trophy, therefore limiting hunting opportunity. It sucks if all one wants is the chance to hunt every year.
Idaho has chosen to manage for opportunity as the hunting heritage runs deep to residents of this state. That being said, I agree with many sentiments, the massive influx of new "residents" to the state is a huge problem. The population of Idaho has grown greatly in the last 30 years. People who move here don't do it for the night life or the arts. They want to outdoor recreate. You what has effectively remained unchanged? NR tag allocations. Your state (and many others) restrict tags to residents and NR alike as management approach to grow big animals over giving opportunity. Idaho is the "opportunity" state for many of your states citizens. I get it. I see it every year. We talk to the same group of Utah elk hunters every September. They come every year, have for years and years. That opportunity is not available in your state to Idaho residents. We have a limited resource, way more demand than supply. In my opinion, every legal resident of the state should get hunting opportunities before those opportunities are given to NR. We shouldn't eliminate NR and the state never will. Go to a point system and draw only for NR. Cut tags to give NR opportunity about equal to what Wyoming does. You certainly know the limits Wyoming puts on NR, being from Utah, right? Currently it takes 4 points to draw general elk in Wyoming (can hunt every 5 years as a NR) and deer takes more for G and H (neighboring areas). Idaho has been and continues to be way too generous to NR. With the massive growth, there needs to be limits on tag numbers and it should start with NR, IMO. I know many of you disagree, because it will affect you individually. No other state, except maybe Colorado, gives anywhere near the opportunity to NR that Idaho does. And Colorado OTC have become a **** show, according to the people I have talked to who wont go back.
And yes, I see a day when Idaho residents will not be able to hunt every year. Gonna happen. But not before severe limitations are put on NR first.
For the life of me I can’t figure out why this is so hard to understand and why I don’t hear all the same people bitching about our neighboring states that actually manage the non resident hunters for the benefit of there own residents.

For the life of me I can’t figure out why this is so hard to understand and why I don’t hear all the same people bitching about our neighboring states that actually manage the non resident hunters for the benefit of there own residents.
Idaho represents every states fall back state since deadlines here are after other states have results posted. NR get used to having Idaho every year and it has become an expectation. Hunting has changed. Everyone has onX, google earth, gear has changed, the meat lover and fresh tracks have taught everyone how to kill and take care of animals in the back country. Everyday is opening day in Idaho. Simply cannot allocate the same amount of tags to NR as we have in the past.

Nice rant.

First. Utah "manages" for money. 30 years ago a certain group showed the legislature a single deer tag could fetch 6figures, since then, it's been a continual crawl towards the Texas model.

You want to stop NR? Your days of cheap licenses are over. Simple math equation. How many Res does it take to equal one NR?

Only A FOOL, thinks limiting NR is a cure. Here's a secret, deep pockets, hunt, regardless. Start a draw, watch how quick landowner, outfitter, or some other scheme, pop up.

Mule deer are struggling, because mule deer are genetically weak, and evolutionarily poor. You can blame Cali, or Utah all day, but Idaho is seeing the exact same thing, EVERY mule deer state is seeing.

Utah does what it does with NR, not because we hate other states, but to create a business opportunity for the guides. Create a "shortage", price goes up. No one is hiring Doyle Moss every year. So a system is created to make that tag a premium.

Dirty secret. $$$$$ makes the world go round, and R in Idaho, don't pay the bills. NR does. Money talks, bullshit walks.

I'm theory I agree. No R should sit, while NR hunts. In reality, ain't NEVER going to happen as long as NR, brings the checkbook

Idaho represents every states fall back state since deadlines here are after other states have results posted. NR get used to having Idaho every year and it has become an expectation. Hunting has changed. Everyone has onX, google earth, gear has changed, the meat lover and fresh tracks have taught everyone how to kill and take care of animals in the back country. Everyday is opening day in Idaho. Simply cannot allocate the same amount of tags to NR as we have in the past.
Don’t feel that way, your having so many new people move in that will be residents your tripping over dollars to pick up pennies

They don't. They manage NR to cover the budgets that R don't cover. Nothing to do with citizenship, everything to do with accounting.

Don’t disagree at all copper. Like I said before, triple resident prices cut non resident tags in half and double there cost. If my simple math is correct that would make more money and I’ll gladly pay 100 bucks for a deer tag as a resident. Who wouldn’t? Any one buying deer tags can scratch up a hundred bucks in the course of a year to go hunting.

Hopefully that would cut down on the buying a tag for relative stuff, it happens here too but I don’t know if it does as much now that everyone that applies has to have a valid hunting license. I honestly just wanna see the muledeer population comeback to just 2015 numbers. With bad winters and other impacts, they need help

the sportsmans package is the problem? It is only a deal if you use all the components over buying each individual. I rarely use the steelhead anymore, never use the salmon or turkey. The predator tags are a throw in. I dont disagree that an increase is in order for residents. Eliminate 10 year olds hunting and scrap the tag gifting BS.

Most states pay that much for a hunting license, deer and elk, nothing like paying 1995 prices for a 2021 commodity.

I’m not. These guys arguments are always”us non residents pay the bills!!” I’m just pointing out they can make the same money without them and give preference to residents with out a lot of effort

I’m sorry but an increase in funding to F&G isn’t going to do anything to help wildlife populations so why is everyone so adamant that fee increases are the solution to all our problems.
You don’t think they’d use that money for any kind of projects that could help wildlife? What do you think they use it for?

I’m sorry but an increase in funding to F&G isn’t going to do anything to help wildlife populations so why is everyone so adamant that fee increases are the solution to all our problems.

Turn off the Psaki news feed. Inflation is real. Idaho unemployment is in the 2% range. Yoh want good people it costs money.

1. Lost of people talking about the increase in pressure over the last 10-15 years, and needing to reduce tag numbers. However, there were less total Deer hunters in 2020 than there was in 2007 per the IDFG. And there were 15% less hunters in 2020 than there were in 2015. The problem is not total numbers, its density (Therefore reducing tags will only help in small way). In my opinion, all the published data around harvest stats etc, and the pervasive use of OnX concentrates people in the good looking areas. Doesn't mean they are actually good, but when the look good from the satellite, with reasonable accessibility, and good population/harvest numbers, the hunters flock there. This is evidenced when you look at unit by unit data - there are lots of units over the last 15 years where hunter density has reduced by huge amounts, probably due to looking at low harvest and population numbers (some of them could be due to changed season/controlled hunt changes). Those hunters are now congregating in the "better units", where hunter numbers are way up over the same time period. Access to data, and e-scouting have changed the game of where people end up hunting, even though there is roughly the same total number of people out there.

2. How long does a person have to live in idaho before they move from being a "resident" to a resident?

My first post yay

Last edited:
1. Lost of people talking about the increase in pressure over the last 10-15 years, and needing to reduce tag numbers. However, there were less total Deer hunters in 2020 than there was in 2007 per the IDFG. And there were 15% less hunters in 2020 than there were in 2015. The problem is not total numbers, its density (Therefore reducing tags will only help in small way). In my opinion, all the published data around harvest stats etc, and the pervasive use of OnX concentrates people in the good looking areas. Doesn't mean they are actually good, but when the look good from the satellite, with reasonable accessibility, and good population/harvest numbers, the hunters flock there. This is evidenced when you look at unit by unit data - there are lots of units over the last 15 years where hunter density has reduced by huge amounts, probably due to looking at low harvest and population numbers (some of them could be due to changed regulation). Those hunters are now congregating in the "better units", where hunter numbers are way up over the same time period. Access to data, and e-scouting have changed the game of where people end up hunting, even though there is roughly the same total number of people out there.

2. How long does a person have to live in idaho before they move from being a "resident" to a resident?

My first post yay
Problem is private there"s been a lot more of it it the past 20 years. Hunters are more confined.

There are too many hunters living in Idaho now for F$G to continue with the same plan of money management. It's all about money.
Our Resident Elk and Deer tags are dirt cheap and it's time to triple the price of these tags.
NR tags need to be on par cost wise as Montana. Cut those tags too.
Deer tags are too cheap at 19.75-24.75 each. Raise them to 74.25
Elk tags are 31.00-36.75 raise them to $110.25

Once that's done cut the current tag allocation by 33%. F$G gets more money and they are actually managing wildlife.

Some zones need to be closed to deer hunting on a rotating basis to allow the poor mule deer numbers to rebound.

Don't open them to an OTC hunt like they did when they closed 56 years ago.

Get rid of those 2 point only hunts in 40 and 22.

This state has such incredible habitat but only a small portion of it has deer in it. Mismanagement plain and simple.

There are too many hunters living in Idaho now for F$G to continue with the same plan of money management. It's all about money.
Our Resident Elk and Deer tags are dirt cheap and it's time to triple the price of these tags.
NR tags need to be on par cost wise as Montana. Cut those tags too.
Deer tags are too cheap at 19.75-24.75 each. Raise them to 74.25
Elk tags are 31.00-36.75 raise them to $110.25

Once that's done cut the current tag allocation by 33%. F$G gets more money and they are actually managing wildlife.

Some zones need to be closed to deer hunting on a rotating basis to allow the poor mule deer numbers to rebound.

Don't open them to an OTC hunt like they did when they closed 56 years ago.

Get rid of those 2 point only hunts in 40 and 22.

This state has such incredible habitat but only a small portion of it has deer in it. Mismanagement plain and simple.
I’m curious how you think increasing prices so much is going to help game other than having less people want to hunt?

I would imagine if you had more of a budget to work with you could close areas down that had a bad winter kill, things of that nature.

at this point the only thing closing areas down would affect is the amount of nonresident tags they sold for that particular area. I think the residents would still be buying tags and just hunting different areas. I’d agree that things have gotten more expensive so some type of increase will be needed simply to pay their employees appropriately but thinking that jacking the prices way up is going to magically fix all the wildlife issues I don’t understand myself.

I don’t have any great cure never said I did. I just don’t think money will magically fix everything either. I’d say part of the issues in some areas have been devastating winter kill and nothing done directly after them to limit harvest in those areas until the herds are able to recover.

No one expected you to have a cure, but I think raising the prices on resident tags and cutting back on the resident free for all will. Maybe with some extra money Idaho could shut down some of the struggling places and use money for research or some type of conservation efforts, I guess money may actually fix it

I don’t think the harvest rates have significantly increased as the state population has been increasing. So that tells me something else is having a greater affect on the deer numbers than hunting pressure alone. I don’t support any doe hunting for mule deer as I think the numbers simply aren’t there to support the need for it. I think predators are probably the biggest factor on mule deer numbers and in particular probably coyotes because they’re so hard on fawns.

You are write about winter kill, we brought this up about all the Deer loss and the fish and game ignored it in fact , they are all worried about losing their jobs to the farmer legislators.Money won’t fix the problem, but the fish and game has their new secret sharp shooters. N Corey Humans are the biggest problem with MuleDeer and the never ending over lapping seasons.

I’m not convinced that we harvest more deer than die from predators and winter kill. Maybe if you add in roadkill but I’m not sure. It’d be interesting to see an accurate comparison on the these.

Plus do away with the doe tags in areas that have the carrying capacity for them. Area 54 and 55 shouldn’t have antlerless tags period

Plus do away with the doe tags in areas that have the carrying capacity for them. Area 54 and 55 shouldn’t have antlerless tags period
Honestly there should not be a NOO doe mule deer hunt in lower 48. Period.
We killed the migration routes. We are rapidly encompassing wintering grounds. … , but this world seems to know what’s best
Everything is a day late and a dollar short..

You don’t think they’d use that money for any kind of projects that could help wildlife? What do you think they use it for?
WTF do you think they use it for? Paying farmers. Plain and simple. Every year the farmers get more money than the wildlife. After the farmers get paid, F&G gotta pay the sharpshooters to kill the elk that damaged the farms, see a pattern?

Many of them get depredation tags that they can use themselves, but many don't actually kill any elk. Killing them would cut down on the welfare check .

It isn’t legal to sell landowner tags in Idaho but that isn’t to say compensation isn’t given behind closed doors. I think it’s ridiculous for farmers to receive any crop damage compensation without being required to have there ground open to the public to hunt and help manage the numbers.

There are multiple listings here for antlerless tags for sale of upwards of $1600, too bad Idaho won’t just give the landowners the depredation tags to sell in lieu of payment and maybe get the farmers to actually do some leg work instead of boobing to the game and fish or farm and fish ?

They’ve kicked around the idea of allowing tags to be sold in the past but it has generally been shot down. I think adding irrigated crops in prime deer and elk country have some inherent risks of crop damage so farmers should either assume that or plan on building fences good enough to keep them off the crops.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom