ID Unit 22 Archery Elk

NPHunter

I was curious if anyone would be willing to share a little info about the elk you've seen on the snake river. I have a Weiser river tag but plan on hunting in the 22. I'm kind of hoping since most of Weiser river is pretty mellow country that most of the people will be in the easier stuff. I will be archery hunting but ultimately want to turn up some big bulls, I know that typically means a nasty country which is OK with me. I will be on foot but am most likely going to be hunting and camping off my back since I could easily end up somewhere very quickly that I don't want to hike back out of in the dark.

I know a lot of guys talk about the unit being overcrowded but honestly, after doing the math there are way fewer people per acre than in the area I hunt here at home. I archery hunt a unit that has over double the number of archery hunters and is about 15% smaller than 22, both units are the same as far as open cow hunts, we have an unlimited general cow hunt in the area I hunt as well. I'm pretty good at either getting away from others or using them to my advantage, honestly, the area I typically hunt is way less rugged than anything in ID and all I have to do is drop into a nasty steep canyon and I have it all to myself.

Any info or advice on elevation, what types of terrain you have found bulls hanging in or not hanging in would be helpful, I believe the Northern End of 22 is very similar to all of 18 and pretty much like the rest of hell canyon, steep and deep. Should I focus more on the east side above the snake or the west side in the timber? I've hunted a couple of units across the river in OR so I'm somewhat familiar with the type of terrain, I've just never been on the ID side. I plan to make several trips over prior to the season but that's a long ways away and I will be doing a lot of map scouting until then. I will also most likely drive down and see whats wintering up off of the river to get a good idea of what kind of bulls I should expect. I'm planning on hunting in ID for about 18 days total and can hunt longer if that's what it takes.

Thanks in advance for any info,
PM's Prefered

I had the B tag last year, that country in the north east part of 22 had my interest. I told myself I would hunt it the back half of the hunt but wanted to hunt 32A instead since some roads were closed come hunting season. (I was hoping that would scare away road hunters) I never got to make it over to 22 since I shot a small bull on the opener. Hope you get to make it over there, awesome country.

You’ll have plenty of company in 22 and most of the plates won’t be from Idaho. It’s not as big as you think

You’ll have plenty of company in 22 and most of the plates won’t be from Idaho. It’s not as big as you think
Lol, thanks, ID has a 10% NR cap so I’d say 90% will be ID plates, probably more if you count the ATV and motorcycles recreating. I’m sure it’s plenty big to find an Elk to kill.

You can find an elk and kill it in any unit. Good luck
Thank You! I’m pretty excited to get over there and scout, I’m going to pick up a tag in OR so I can hunt both sides of the river. I have a goal to kill two 6 point bulls with my bow this year so I’ll have my work cut out for me.

Your scouting will seem amazing, more than a few elk to gawk at. But once the season starts it's much different. There's a significant amount of private property and you'd better believe the elk know where it is.

Buuuuut, you're going to go where there's no other hunters so you should have a great experience free from the pressure of an OTC unit

Your scouting will seem amazing, more than a few elk to gawk at. But once the season starts it's much different. There's a significant amount of private property and you'd better believe the elk know where it is.

Buuuuut, you're going to go where there's no other hunters so you should have a great experience free from the pressure of an OTC unit
Thanks, I’m sure I’ll run into plenty of people. I commented that in am well aware of that because they seems to be all these threads turn into. Guys gripping about how overcrowded units are, i personally will take hunting a crowded unit each year than a less crowded unit every few.

I hope to see plenty of elk while scouting, that will keep my spirits up.

You've got it all figured out ?
I hope to have it somewhat figure out by the end of next fall. If I had it figured out I wouldn’t be on here asking for advice. Sorry if I offended you, I defiantly could use some pointing in the right direction.

Info like “all you’re going to see is out of staters” and “all the elk are on private” are not helpful or advice. That’s the same thing everyone gripes about in every unit in the west.

I’ve helped a pile of people on the forums over the years and have even made several good friends on them. I’m sure there are people out there that will be happy to help.

Thanks for the bump

Info like “all you’re going to see is out of staters” and “all the elk are on private” are not helpful or advice. That’s the same thing everyone gripes about in every unit in the west.
It's not a gripe, it's reality. There's going to be plenty of people that don't know the unit well and they'll be everywhere trying to figure it out. There's also a significant amount of private property in there and some elk will stick to it to avoid the pressure. There's also plenty of private that holds zero elk but blocks access to public.

Sounds like you've hunted elk before and you should know what to expect from an OTC unit. No amount of elk advice is going to make any difference and those guys who have spent many years figuring out the best ways to hunt it aren't going going to just give up all their had earned knowledge to some guy on the interweb. Good luck, there's elk there and it's up to you to get one on the ground.

Thanks, I’m sure I’ll run into plenty of people. I commented that in am well aware of that because they seems to be all these threads turn into. Guys gripping about how overcrowded units are, i personally will take hunting a crowded unit each year than a less crowded unit every few.

I hope to see plenty of elk while scouting, that will keep my spirits up.
You will NOT see many hunters if your planning on hunting the river side with a bow !! You will see elk & they are always in the next drainage or 2 over from where you are at !! If you have never hunted the river side, might be a good idea to go do a day hike from the lower section up towards the top !! That alone will change your mind about steep & nasty & the elk on that side are very good at evading people. You are in for one H3LL of an eye opener trying to get on elk with a bow on that side !! I know lots of people that have had the rifle tag & have ATE TAG SOUP due to not being able to get close to them on that side !! Hope you have a plan B

You will NOT see many hunters if your planning on hunting the river side with a bow !! You will see elk & they are always in the next drainage or 2 over from where you are at !! If you have never hunted the river side, might be a good idea to go do a day hike from the lower section up towards the top !! That alone will change your mind about steep & nasty & the elk on that side are very good at evading people. You are in for one H3LL of an eye opener trying to get on elk with a bow on that side !! I know lots of people that have had the rifle tag & have ATE TAG SOUP due to not being able to get close to them on that side !! Hope you have a plan B
Thank You, I do have a plan B, I'm setting aside 2 full weeks including weekends on either end so that should give me over 15 days to make something happen. I don't plan on setting up a base camp, I will be spike camping off my back or using my bed roll at the truck. I'll only be about 2hrs from home if I need to take a couple of days to R&R.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom