Idah MDI survey results

BrianID

Very Active Member
I thought some of you would like to look at this.
Here is a link to the survey results.

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/cms/hunt/MDI/MuleDeerResults.pdf

There were several things in the survey that stood out to me.

The F&G's ATV restrictions is supported by a significant portion of those surveyed. I think ATV restrictions will be expanded to more units in the future.

Page 15 asked questions about controlled hunts and other restrictions. The answers to the question about controlled hunts makes it appear a large majority of hunters favor controlled hunts.

On page 22 a question asked hunters "The overall quality of your mule deer experience."
More than 1/2 of the hunters said they were "satisfied" or very "satisfied"
About 1/4 of the hunters said they were "very dissatisfied" or "dissatisfied".
About 20% said they were "neutral"

Another question on page 22 a question asked hunters "Having the opportunity to hunt mule deer"
About 85% of the hunters said they were "satisfied" or very "satisfied"
Less than 5% of the hunters said they were "very dissatisfied" or "dissatisfied".
About 10% said they were "neutral"

It appears many hunters would not favor state wide controlled hunts if it resulted in them not getting to hunt mule deer every year. I think the survey should have asked a clear question (yes or no) about state wide controlled hunts for mule deer to see how hunters felt about loosing the opportunity we currently have.

It think there will be significant changes to the mule deer hunting opportunities in Idaho next year.

Anyone else see something interesting about the survey results? Who thinks the F&G will listen to what a majority of the hunters tell the F&G?

IDFG should quit mucking around with regs to justify there mule deer policys. If this state ever converts to controlled hunts statewide I'll just quit hunting mule deer period. So will many others. Mule deer populations are strong in most areas and hunting is not the main reason some areas are struggling a bit. We are restricted enough. Every year they chop away at our opportunitys to hunt. I've had enough. I've said before that if there is some biological need to reduce tag numbers or whatever on a unit by unit basis, I'm all for it. There is no need for something as drastic as this.
Anyone who really wants it has an opportunity to take good bucks with general tags every year. Those who like to hunt socially or just to get out have excellent opportunities to harvest their bucks as well. What more can you ask for? Just drawing in a controlled unit guarantees nothing. The same rules still apply. Those who work for it give themselves a chance at a good buck, Those who dont have little chance and are probably the majority of the 25% bitching about their mule deer "experience".

AMEN! I love hunting big bucks too but how can we maintain a healthy HUNTER population if you only get to hunt once every 3-10 years! How do you keep the younger/future generations interested too (yeah, I know...doe hunts. Big deal).

Mike Henne

A recent article in IDFG's quarterly newsletter kind of hinted that they were not going to do anything drastic, and that things will probably not change that much. The main reason appears to be the desire to keep license revenue fairly constant. There is a worry that adding additional controlled hunts will reduce income to the department too much. Since there is almost no chance of any general fund appropriations for IDFG in order to support massive deer tag reductions they really have no choice but to keep things pretty much the way they are. I may be wrong, but that is the way it looks like it will come down.

--DHE

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom