Idaho 2020

Spome

Harvested buck this year in a general unit. Approached the downed buck and was surprised to find it collared. Never seen a collared buck afield, let alone harvest one! Turned the collar into IDFW. Awaiting the data sheet from them that tells me the age, travels, etc on this great animal.
original_3ce62b2d-0b76-48e9-9296-cae7f2981107_IMG_20201012_170924.jpg

Spoke via phone with the Biologist out of the Magic Valley office about the data sheet, etc. She reported the the Buck was collared three 1/2 years ago at a wildlife area near Boise. Estimated age of the buck at that time was 4 years! (7 to 71/2 yrs old) Tracked it as far north, first year above Stanley. She didn't run though entire report. Just made her aware that I wanted the report and a prototype collar for the mount.

I have seen collared does before but no bucks. Pretty amazing to me that deer will travel that far especially when there are other wintering areas that seem to be within their travel route to the their final destination. Would be interesting to know how many miles that buck traveled every yr and just how high he went every spring and summer, only to return to the wintering ground every year. Do you mind saying what elevation he was killed at and when?

That's a fine trophy! Good for you.
You're going to have it mounted with a collar, huh? You'll have to share a pic when it's done.
I've seen a few collared animals. Saw a buck with a collar in Wyoming this year.

I have seen collared does before but no bucks. Pretty amazing to me that deer will travel that far especially when there are other wintering areas that seem to be within their travel route to the their final destination. Would be interesting to know how many miles that buck traveled every yr and just how high he went every spring and summer, only to return to the wintering ground every year. Do you mind saying what elevation he was killed at and when?
8100 ft. 13 th of October!

Spome, congratulations on a very nice deer! If you have any more pictures, we'd all love to see them. He looks to have some cool features

Very interested to hear the data on this critter. Congrats on a great buck. Very few bucks of that caliber taken in general units these days.

Congratulations great buck! Can’t wait to hear what the data sheet shows. Feel like it’s rare to have collared buck.

Spoke via phone with the Biologist out of the Magic Valley office about the data sheet, etc. She reported the the Buck was collared three 1/2 years ago at a wildlife area near Boise. Estimated age of the buck at that time was 4 years! (7 to 71/2 yrs old) Tracked it as far north, first year above Stanley. She didn't run though entire report. Just made her aware that I wanted the report and a prototype collar for the mount.
Post a picture of the mount when it’s done! I’d love too see it

Will do MK. Taxidermist scored at 182. I'm still awaiting the report from the Magic Valley Biologist . Try monthly, to check on it. Its always in the mail "next week". I"ll post the data when I get it. Should be interesting!

Will do MK. Taxidermist scored at 182. I'm still awaiting the report from the Magic Valley Biologist . Try monthly, to check on it. Its always in the mail "next week". I"ll post the data when I get it. Should be interesting!
All these people waiting for your data..... :rolleyes:I’d suggest you summarize it in a way that keeps 500 guys from camping on the points looking for his twin.:censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:

Nice buck! Good luck getting the data. My wife shot a bull and I wanted to know the migration path too. They never provided it. Felt like they say that as bait to get you to return it.

Received the Migration/ location data via e mail. Still awaiting the narrative, capture card with measurements when it was tagged etc. The satellite pings appear daily and they are color coded by season. ie; Blue for Dec thru Feb, Green for spring, Red for summer and Yellow for Fall. This buck traveled from the wintering area east of Arrowrock reservoir to his summering area W/NW of Stanley Idaho - Deep in the Sawtooths. Using Google earth to trace his route, this buck traveled over 100 miles ea year between its summer and wintering areas. As noted above...seemed strange that the buck returned to the same wintering area year after year when other wintering areas seemed much closer. What do I know? The buck summered in a tight geographical area. I shot the buck close to its summering range but I think it was making its way back to its wintering area when I found him. Appears to be two years Data on this buck. Amazed that both years, the buck used the same route/corridors and seemed to be within a few miles of where he was the previous yr. (Seasonally) Enjoy!

That's pretty crazy. Just goes to show the value of wintering areas to herds from vast areas around the state. I think a lot of people take wintering areas for granted and because they see a lot of deer in there, they think the herd(s) are healthy without realizing that the number of deer in there is representative of thousands of square miles from the surrounding areas. Does the data show how long it took him to travel that 100 mi? I always wonder whether deer slowly saunter their way to wintering areas in the fall or, if once the weather hits, they make a beeline for it and don't stop until they get there.

Mallards....Data isn't date specific. Clearly the buck was in his wintering area by late Nov and began his trek in early October. The pace of travel I think is dependent on the weather...available feed etc. The buck appeared to leave wintering area and make it about half way to its summering area by early May, using low elevation corridors. Appears to reach his summering areas by June and leaves early to mid October. Small sample.... interesting none the less.

Received the Migration/ location data via e mail. Still awaiting the narrative, capture card with measurements when it was tagged etc. The satellite pings appear daily and they are color coded by season. ie; Blue for Dec thru Feb, Green for spring, Red for summer and Yellow for Fall. This buck traveled from the wintering area east of Arrowrock reservoir to his summering area W/NW of Stanley Idaho - Deep in the Sawtooths. Using Google earth to trace his route, this buck traveled over 100 miles ea year between its summer and wintering areas. As noted above...seemed strange that the buck returned to the same wintering area year after year when other wintering areas seemed much closer. What do I know? The buck summered in a tight geographical area. I shot the buck close to its summering range but I think it was making its way back to its wintering area when I found him. Appears to be two years Data on this buck. Amazed that both years, the buck used the same route/corridors and seemed to be within a few miles of where he was the previous yr. (Seasonally) Enjoy!
Fascinating. Great information thanks for posting that.

As others have said-- Thanks for sharing this info. It makes your hunt even more memorable and a story family and friends will have trouble topping sitting around the campfire reminiscing!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom