Idaho Antelope Unit 51

borntohunt

My 10 year old son drew Unit 51 Pronghorn. This will be his first hunt. We live in Utah and are not familiar with the area. We are familiar with Idaho and have spent lots of time in the Island Park/Henry's Lake portion of the state.

We do plan to drive out and get to know the area before the season starts. We have also hunted pronghorn in other states before. I am not super concerned with getting someones secret spots, just hoping to hear from a few guys that have hunted or know this unit. I really want my son to have a great experience. He has followed Mom, Dad and others on many hunts and hikes, he is so excited that this time it is HIS turn.

I know that Idaho is not known for giant pronghorn
but hoping to help him have a chance at a respectable goat for the unit.

I was just wondering if anyone that has previously hunted this area could point me in the right directions. The season dates are quite long. (9/25/2016 - 10/24/2016) We have a few other hunts during those dates in both Utah and Wyoming, so I am wondering if the pronghorn in unit 51 leave the area, and is there a better time to hunt during those dates.

If you would prefer to send a PM that would work as well.

Thank you for anyone willing to share info to help my son have a good first hunt!!

borntohunt

LAST EDITED ON Jul-21-16 AT 10:57PM (MST)[p]Congratulations on the tag. My daughter and nephew drew the tag two years ago. Both sides of the road from Howe north for about 25 miles along the foothills will hold antelope. Just glass with 15s from the dirt roads and you will find antelope in spots to stalk. My daughter was lucky, we stalked a 12 incher and a 15 incher stepped out right as she was setting up. Most bucks are 12-13 inches. Fun hunt, practice 200 to 350 yards, its hard to get close. This guy was 340 yards... (heart shot)
40287img1483.jpg

47841img1482.jpg

Congrats to your daughter!! That is a great buck.

Ya we are doing are best to prepare for long range shots.

What part of the season did you guys harvest your bucks?

borntohunt

Hey Borntohunt. We had 3 tags in 51 and prepare yourself for a fun hunt. They is plenty of antelope. I agree with the other response that you recieved. Both sides of the road were great hunting. Defenitly have good glass and practice shooting. The wife killed hers at 220 Yards, Mine was 380, and my brothers was at 300. Its flat country where we found them last year. Spent the first morning up higher looking for the big boy and never saw a antelope. Then went to the flats by the creek and water and it was thick with them. All the water was dried up higher. We killed them all the first 2 days. If your boy can shoot it will be a great hunt! Wish i could have the tag again. Feel free to PM me and ill give you more info if you would like.

Big bucks motto: "Steer clear of the stick flippin
smoke blowin pole packers!"

Hi guys, I know this is a dated thread but I drew the tag this year and doing some research online and some E scouting with my OnX. Its nice to hear that it sounds like there are good numbers of pronghorn in the area. Im just trying to decided to go over for the Opener or wait till after to go since I have a General season deer tag as well.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom