Idaho Bow Ram Success!

Outdoordan

Very Active Member
Thanks to all that gave advice!
Well I did it. After months of preparation, I finally had a chance to chase sheep in Idaho. I left late Tuesday evening (we had work to do and didn't get it done until later than I would have liked) from my house in Bellevue for my sheep unit, not arriving at my camp site until 2:30 in the morning. I got a quick 3 hours of sleep, got up and headed down a ridge where sheep had been spotted previously. Spent all day hiking further down towards the salmon river glassing into both drainages as I went. Located no sheep at all. At about 4 PM, the wind started coming on strong eventually blowing to 50 mph. The temperature dropped from 75-80 degrees into the 20's. I only had cotton clothing on as I wanted to go light, and was spooked because of the ominous black clouds this cold front was bringing in. If I was rained on it could get bad quick. I tried my best to beat the clouds, but I was so deep that I had 2500 vertical feet to climb and about 4 miles to get out. The clouds won, but I was relieved to see that they dropped snow instead of rain. After over 3 hours I finally climbed out and back to my truck. I stayed that night and subsequent nights in a lodge along the river with a bed and shower!

Next morning I spotted a small ram near the lodge in the rocks that line the salmon river. The ram was with 3 ewes and a lamb. I wasn't sure how old he was, he looked to be about 4.5 years which is legal, but wanted a closer look. Hiked up from a different spot as so not to be spotted. I kept trying to move laterally, but would get stuck in the rock cliffs. So I would back track, climb higher, then over. After several attempts I was close. I peeked over the rock I was on and was immediately busted by a ewe and they all blew out of there. That ended my morning hunt.

After a shower and nap, and with flip flops and shorts on I left to shoot my bow. Driving only about a mile, I was surprised to see 3 rams only a short distance above the road! Now I had a dilemna, do I try and shoot the biggest ram, or wait for my friends whom were driving up the 18 hours from California. I would have liked to have it on video also as I had my canon XL with me. The rams were close to the road, and I decided I would be stupid to pass up this situation, as many people go weeks without seeing legal rams. With flip flops on I parked and headed back along the road to the rams. I climbed the side of the hill a little ways which was a feat with sandals on. The biggest ram turned sideways giving me a 25 yard shot. My arrow hit him in the rib cage but a little far back. Frantic, I took a panic shot as he headed to the left, of course I missed. He then paused giving me another shot which I made good on, hitting him low behind the shoulder. He immediately bedded, with the other rams standing over him. I backed out of there, making sure I knew the exact rock they were on. I walked back to my truck, drove to the lodge shaking the whole way. I called my buddies finding out they were only 45 minutes away and told them to get there butts over here! After the call it had been about 20 minutes or so. I drove back over to the spot only to find out that the ram had expired and rolled down the hill to the road and was laying in the road! Two guys were standing over him wondering "What the Hell"? I said "That's my ram", and explained the situation. I tagged him and they helped my load him on my tailgate. One of the guys had the same tag the year before and had gone 10 days without seeing a ram. What an experience! Thanks to everyone who helped, James, Jeremy, Chad, Ryder, Scott, and Mom.
44fdccc84b6b0a4a.jpg

44fdcdc24e96b170.jpg

44fdcdf05212ddab.jpg

44fdce1552990084.jpg

Congratulations on the harvest. Good story. Beautiful pictures with the Salmon River in the background.

That has to be the first ram ever taken with flip flops! And then roll down into the road! I thought sheep hunting was tough! LOL!

Whatever, that's a nice one and you look very happy! I know I sure would be! Congratulations!

Steve

Sounds a looks like a fantastic hunt. Congrats!

"Every man dies...not every man really lives."

Thanks! I shoot a Hoyt Protec with the longest 45" limbs. I shoot with fingers, and this bow feels good. My arrows were the Cabelas Carbon Stalkers or something like that but they are basically the easton arrows. Wac'em broadheads, however I think that now they are alot of good broadheads out. I started running about 5 months ago, and shooting with a coach occasionally and shooting every day. After reading Cameron Hanes's book, I think I will run throughout the year. I am running 5-7 miles consistently now, so maybe a mini-marathon? My quads and my calfs hurt for days afterwards, so I think I will try to jog uphill more.

I'm uhhhhhh.....Well I ...uhhhhhh... I'll just say "Congrats". I drove by were you were hunting on the way to a buddies sheep hunt. I saw the Ewes and Lambs eating out of a guys field too ;)

Ram by the road ? Lodge ? Flip Flops ? Huhhhh.... Who'd of thought. At least you put on the Camo and Boots for the picture :)

You know, I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea, I worked hard scouting the area, talking to guides, past hunters, biologists, as well as getting into excellent physical shape, and shot shape. I considered hiring an outfitter, as I had met a guide whom built the lodge I stayed in years before, and he knew the area well. He now works for an outfitter, but at $8K, it didn't take me long to decide I would go it alone. Besides, finding the sheep and putting on your own stalk is most of the fullfillment. The outfitter told me my accomodations would be in a travel trailer on the river. My plan was to hunt the first week out of the lodge with friends, and then go the last two weeks in late september, early October by myself, and do some bivouacing and camping by river. I didn't plan on taking a ram this easily, and worked hard that morn and day before. I just wanted to clear that up.

Outdoordan,

Do not apologize to anyone. Idaho rams are hard to come by and if one just happened to be by a road it is not your fault. I guess Moosie figures you can plan it however you want. You may have hunted another 3 weeks and never got a chance. Congrats. I spent over 20 days last year scouting and hunting and finally took a ram similar to yours but I had to use a rifle so your ram is even more impressive. Finding a decent ram in most Idaho units is not easy. Relish in the fact that you did it yourself, did not have to pay a guide, and got a decent ram.

I forgot a few stats for you. Last year success in Idaho for sheep was 51%. Keep in mind that 10 permits went to out of state hunters. Typically all of these hunters will hire guides and outfitter success should run close to 100%. Even if all non-residents did not hire guides some resident hunters may have hired guides. If just 10 hunters hired outfitters and they were all successful that drops success rates down to 44%. GREAT WORK on your once in a lifetime animal. Put it on the wall with pride.

Congratulations, cool story too.

You never know how things will turn out, a bighorn with a bow - awesome.

The flip flops and the road are too funny. Nice job.

"I guess Moosie figures you can plan it however you want."

.... Yep, I hardly hunt more then 60 days a year and think Sheep hunting is easy. Dime a dozen. 2 words "BLOW" and "ME" :)

I'm not trying to take away the coolness of an Idaho Ram. Sounds like you trained and were going in for a Real sheep hunt and ended up seeing one by the road. It's actually a funny unreal story. Made me sit back and LAugh at how some things go down. I'll say it again for the slow people.... "Congrats".

What is "a Real sheep hunt"? The unit I drew last year has had very few great rams taken out of it in the last ten years. The biggest a 170+ ram. Yep, shot right from the road and loaded whole into the back of a truck. So I guess I do not know what a "real sheep hunt" is. Some of the best rams shot each year are spotted from roads. So for the real big slow people, I guess there is only one kind of sheep hunt; Moosie's way, whatever that is.

Outdoordan
Your using Ben for the mount? He will do a great job for you, not the quickest, but very good work. He is mounting my brother in law's 170" ram taken opening day 2006 in an adjacent unit.

He seems to do good work, and if it takes alittle longer, that will give me more time to figure out where to put it!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom