Idaho deer hunting?

mickeyelk

Very Active Member
Before the Founder changed the forum over, in my pm's for January, I was talking to someone from Idaho about deer hunting and how to apply in the state. Sorry, I forgot who I was talking to. Trying to reconnect, have a few more questions to ask that person. Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I was looking into the Southeast corner of the state for deer hunting. I'm retired so I have time to pre-season scouting. Would this be a good place to hunt deer? Also I read where there is a controlled hunt that you can apply for so I thought about deer and elk hunting. Any ideas on where to apply. Again, thanks for your reply and answers.

Sorry but you are about 10 years too late for any good OTC hunting in SE Idaho.
There are some controlled hunts to apply for but the odds of drawing are very slim and the hunting can be tough on those as well.
However as the saying goes, you won’t you want draw if you don’t apply so I say go for it.
The best buck tag you ever had in my opinion is when you drew Nevada last year. I wish you the best of luck!

I wish I had some good info for you on deer. The Magic valley biologist is on a mission to keep deer numbers low, his name is Mike McDonald and he thinks there are to many deer on the winter range so he’s just going to keep killing them. The game and fish is know owned by the farmers of Idaho, very little input from sportsman’s matters anymore. One good thing though the Idaho Farm, Fish and game has a new elite Sharp shooters team, that’s where McDonald likes to spend his time under the spot light at night killing cow elk.

I wish I had some good info for you on deer. The Magic valley biologist is on a mission to keep deer numbers low, his name is Mike McDonald and he thinks there are to many deer on the winter range so he’s just going to keep killing them. The game and fish is know owned by the farmers of Idaho, very little input from sportsman’s matters anymore. One good thing though the Idaho Farm, Fish and game has a new elite Sharp shooters team, that’s where McDonald likes to spend his time under the spot light at night killing cow elk.
This is sad. Nevada has a good management system, but very hard to draw even as a resident. Being I have more time I'm venturing out to other states. Thanks for the info and reply.

Go to the mule deer forum -- Scroll down to the thread entitled "looking for some ideas" It covers the same topic/area you asked about.

You can also read Bigolmuleys post under Idaho, Got super lucky and Drew Idaho 52. This was one of Idaho’s best trophy deer hunts, four years ago I measured three bucks that came out of that unit that scored between 230 and 245, now you are lucky to find a three and a half year old deer, the deer numbers are way down, but Mike McDonald the biologist sees it a lot different then all the guys that spend a lot of time in these units. Bigolmuley spent a lot of time hunting last year in 52, with a lot of tips on where to hunt, read his hunt story and maybe it will help you make up your mind. I enjoy helping other hunters and kids, I spend a lot of time in the mountains, Corn McDonald and the Idaho fish and game manage wildlife for farmers now not for sportsman.

You can also read Bigolmuleys post under Idaho, Got super lucky and Drew Idaho 52. This was one of Idaho’s best trophy deer hunts, four years ago I measured three bucks that came out of that unit that scored between 230 and 245, now you are lucky to find a three and a half year old deer, the deer numbers are way down, but Mike McDonald the biologist sees it a lot different then all the guys that spend a lot of time in these units. Bigolmuley spent a lot of time hunting last year in 52, with a lot of tips on where to hunt, read his hunt story and maybe it will help you make up your mind. I enjoy helping other hunters and kids, I spend a lot of time in the mountains, Corn McDonald and the Idaho fish and game manage wildlife for farmers now not for sportsman.
Thanks Ill look at it now

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom