Idaho Drone and Mule Deer Hunt. (by camera)11-30-2020

Here’s a little something on drones

337EB1C3-D80C-4F40-B24B-2C7DF737C2C0.jpeg

I have been a long time lurker and I have had a life long passion for photographing mule deer( and whales but that is another tail….lol). However, I do think that I have an ethical use for drones and Mule deer. I somewhat expected to get some harsher remarks because I was vague. I used to worked at Idaho Fish and Game for 9 years, so I get where whatever you do, someone will have a problem with it, regardless.

The entire drone shoot was over 120 minutes of flight time. I was documenting, by drone, depredation damage for the landowner on private property. All FAA regulations and rules were followed to the letter. With this documentation he can request land owner tags and give/sell them to the hunters (you guys). The posted video showed more of the power of a zoom. It was taken from the height of a 20 story building and then zoomed in by the camera and post-edit software. The latest technology is amazing.

I have hunted and studied this drainage for over 30 years. The last time I hunted it with a rifle was 24 years ago. I prefer camera and do a catch and release only. I have harvested many good sized bucks in my day. But I do not like the taste of the meat any longer and I will not shoot what I will not eat. Besides that, I got old and fat and clean up is not much fun.

Additionally, I could talk for hours about this drainage. I have seen it change so much over the years. A couple of years ago I helped with netting and collaring several does for a study. The issues were an 80% drop in the doe population over a 5 year period in the drainage. I am not sure what the outcome was. But, I can tell you that the current ratio of 1 buck for every 2 doe is way off from the 1 to 10-12 that is considered “good”. The final tally for this shoot was 88+- bucks on an 640 acre farm.

Anyway, I will continue to lurk and might post additional pictures later. Thanks for reading.

Well since you worked for the fish and game, why don’t you explain the drone laws to us please. Im guessing 200 feet above the animals is ethical . I also thought it was against the law to sell landowner tags.

I have been a long time lurker and I have had a life long passion for photographing mule deer( and whales but that is another tail….lol). However, I do think that I have an ethical use for drones and Mule deer. I somewhat expected to get some harsher remarks because I was vague. I used to worked at Idaho Fish and Game for 9 years, so I get where whatever you do, someone will have a problem with it, regardless.

The entire drone shoot was over 120 minutes of flight time. I was documenting, by drone, depredation damage for the landowner on private property. All FAA regulations and rules were followed to the letter. With this documentation he can request land owner tags and give/sell them to the hunters (you guys). The posted video showed more of the power of a zoom. It was taken from the height of a 20 story building and then zoomed in by the camera and post-edit software. The latest technology is amazing.

I have hunted and studied this drainage for over 30 years. The last time I hunted it with a rifle was 24 years ago. I prefer camera and do a catch and release only. I have harvested many good sized bucks in my day. But I do not like the taste of the meat any longer and I will not shoot what I will not eat. Besides that, I got old and fat and clean up is not much fun.

Additionally, I could talk for hours about this drainage. I have seen it change so much over the years. A couple of years ago I helped with netting and collaring several does for a study. The issues were an 80% drop in the doe population over a 5 year period in the drainage. I am not sure what the outcome was. But, I can tell you that the current ratio of 1 buck for every 2 doe is way off from the 1 to 10-12 that is considered “good”. The final tally for this shoot was 88+- bucks on an 640 acre farm.

Anyway, I will continue to lurk and might post additional pictures later. Thanks for reading.
Thanks for the perspective. By all means continue to share your live pics. (y)

With your background, do you think current laws are enough to prevent unscrupulous characters from using the tech to take wildlife?

I don't but am not nearly well enough informed. I only ever flew a drone once. My kids got one and I flew it into a chain link fence. I'm not allowed to drive anymore.:(

Ok. I hope that this does not get to long but here is my take on current drone laws in general and in hunting. A little on the background. Last year I took the FAA part 107 test and passed. This test is not required to fly a drone but it is if you are going to fly where you will be paid. Drones to me are nothing more than a hobby, but one that almost pays for itself. There were several questions on the pilot test on the law. Here is the “Nut Shell” version of the most misunderstood. But, Follow the FAA rules and you should be ok 99.99% of the time, type of thing.

• The FAA has total and complete jurisdiction over all air space in the usa. It does NOT regulate any of this authority to anyone else, ever. Not the military, not the airlines, not anybody or anything else.
  • The FAA has a web site that shows up to the minute regulations on the area that you wish to fly. If a state/city/??? Wants a no fly zone then they must be approved by the FAA and displayed on the website. So, some blanket state law is meaningless unless approved by the FAA. Trust me there are more places you can not fly then you would believe. Additionally, any wildfire locations do get listed as temp no fly zones in real time.
  • Basically, where you take off from is more important then where you fly.
There are several more rules of course, but I am doing the nut shell version.

NOW on hunting/drones. I hate to say this but from what I see, the war could already be lost. Unless states adopt a law similar to Alaska has about if you fly you can not hunt for 24/48 hours. Drone Technology is changing to fast to stay ahead of it by dealing with anything less. Something like having lead shot shell in a steel only area rules.

The drone are getting smaller, better, easier to fly and cheaper every day. 2 Years ago, my drone setup costed about $6,000 total. Today, I could get the same but with added thermal vision for the same price. Now that is an advantage.

AS for how I use the drones are more of a scouting nature. In the Drainage that I checkout has extraordinarily little tree cover. So, I can fly at 225 feet, point the camera down and film. With the zoom on the drone and post editing zoom it is like looking thru a 12 power scope. I can identify anything the size of a rabbit up. But that is when it is on my computer. When flying, even a bull elk looks like an ant on the flying screen and you do not know what you have until you get it in post.

Other cool features and observations of drones.

• When flying the reaction of the big game animals are very sex related. The does/cows will look in the air and find the drone almost every time. The bucks/bulls almost never look up. I think that is has more to do with what they feel threated by. Not many air attacks worry bucks or bulls?
  • Drones are much louder than you think. There is no sneaking up on most things.
  • IF you fly in the city or around people, expect the cops to come by and talk with you. Most of them know the rules by now and that state/city cops can not enforce federal laws keeps them at bay. Mostly, you show them your license and it is over. But expect the interaction.
  • The good drones have collision avoidance, and they are really hard to crash. They are far easier to fly and have several hundred presets or ways points settings where you can hit a few buttons and they do the rest.
  • Birds will attack the drone.
Lastly, in answering a few more questions. Yes landowner permits are not sold but transferred. Also, just because you get one does not give you trespass/hunting rights to the landowners property, That is what you pay for. Landowner permits are for the area, not the property, at least in Idaho, as far as I know.

Second, the video I showed was as far from game harassment as you can get. I do not know what scared the buck, as I was physically standing 2 times closer to him then the drone was. At 6’4” and 3 bills plus I am kind of hard to miss especially when I am silhouetted on the horizon. Also, the farmer had just started his tractor. So who knows for sure?

Anyway, in closing. I wish that I had better news on the hunting front. As I am 100% in agreement that drones and hunting do not mix. But. I am not a hunter anymore, however I like to count deer, elk antelope and any other things that come into view,,, In most cases, Photography is not a crime!

Last edited:
I appreciate you coming back on here and giving a well written explanation. I truly do not no the drone laws nor have I seen anyone out there with one. I’m sure they will become a problem especially when the day comes when you can sit in one.

I have an FAA part 107 Remote Pilot Certificate. While they definitely control the airspace, states can implement laws regarding their use in and around wildlife. A number of states have laws about flying and not hunting for 48 hours after.

On a secondary note, I've never had a mule deer stay in the same zip code after hearing my Mavic Pro approach. Every time I've inadvertently flown within a few hundred yards they take off running. Big bull elk are a different story. They will let you fly around over them and never seen to run off.

In any case I think they are a very poor tool for either scouting for critters or trying to capture images of them with. Great for creating dramatic images of the places we love to hunt and hang out up there, but I leave mine at home when ever I'm on a hunt. Just too much hassle to carry with you and I don't think it's the best for the animals we love to see so much.

Just my $0.02 on drones and critters.

Cheers, Pete
www.rumble.com/user/c3hammer

I have an FAA part 107 Remote Pilot Certificate. While they definitely control the airspace, states can implement laws regarding their use in and around wildlife. A number of states have laws about flying and not hunting for 48 hours after.

On a secondary note, I've never had a mule deer stay in the same zip code after hearing my Mavic Pro approach. Every time I've inadvertently flown within a few hundred yards they take off running. Big bull elk are a different story. They will let you fly around over them and never seen to run off.

In any case I think they are a very poor tool for either scouting for critters or trying to capture images of them with. Great for creating dramatic images of the places we love to hunt and hang out up there, but I leave mine at home when ever I'm on a hunt. Just too much hassle to carry with you and I don't think it's the best for the animals we love to see so much.

Just my $0.02 on drones and critters.

Cheers, Pete
www.rumble.com/user/c3hammer
I promise your view is not shared by all and they are grossly abused and only going to get worse. I hate the very concept of drones. For hunting or otherwise and wish they would be outlawed across the board. They of course will never happen. Fly a drone by me while I’m out in the woods/desert you better hope I don’t have a shot gun with me

I promise your view is not shared by all and they are grossly abused and only going to get worse. I hate the very concept of drones. For hunting or otherwise and wish they would be outlawed across the board. They of course will never happen. Fly a drone by me while I’m out in the woods/desert you better hope I don’t have a shot gun with me
I figured with all of the free stuff you’ve been given because of your amazing hunting ability you haven’t been given a few drones

It hasn’t been that long ago that you were talking yourself up as some pro hunter bs, you and Tri should hang out, both pretentious and full of crap

Nothing in that post is “talking me up” in fact it’s outlining what BS it actually was. You need a life bud, kinda creepy actually

No your right. The guy Ive never met or talked to that goes out of his way to track down weeks old posts in threads completely unrelated to drone photography and cut and paste them is the reasonable well adjusted person and not a total cyber stalking troll. I’m sure your right.

again bud, get a life. I’m not interested in whatever it is your looking for.

Woah bud,I’m just making fun of you, it’s hard not too?. I read pompous posts like some of yours and I remember them, hard not too, just calling your bs for what it is

Huh, I must have made a way bigger impression on you then you did on me. Kinda nice to have a fan I guess. Tell you what. PayPal me a 100 bucks I’ll send you an autograph. That should hold you over for a while

Very interesting read. Seen a few this summer up in the Big Horns at one of the reservoirs. Surprisingly loud for how high it was flying. Seems pretty limiting here in WY with all the wind

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom