Idaho elk 58

IDoutdoors

I have the cow elk tag for Idaho unit 58. I went out on opening day Nov. 1st and only saw 2 elk that other hunters had got. Wondering if the snow and cold have brought down more elk to the valley floor? Any updates on elk? And snow depths. I’m thinking about going early next week. Thanks in advance

Last month when I had Predator out antelope hunting there were a lot of tracks of elk around Reno Point and the water diversion. Looked like they were going up and down to the desert to feed and water. I haven't heard of anyone seeing any out in 63 yet tho.

The wife has a cow tag on the desert in 60A. We went out yesterday and searched our tails off. No elk or tracks anywhere. The fresh snow was about 6" deep, and the ground was still warm and wet enough that the mud was bad in the two tracks.

The deer were starting to come down, and saw a bunch around Sand Creek but didn't look like the elk are moving at all.

Sorry I missed this. Went on the west side of the unit and elk were everywhere. Friend saw a herd of 500 below Dubois. We went up the next morning and found about 100, and some small stalkable groups. She made a great stalk on her own, and shot her cow with my 7 RemMag.

Another friend has found them coming out of 58 to the hay fields at Monteview

Sorry I missed this. Went on the west side of the unit and elk were everywhere. Friend saw a herd of 500 below Dubois. We went up the next morning and found about 100, and some small stalkable groups. She made a great stalk on her own, and shot her cow with my 7 RemMag.

Another friend has found them coming out of 58 to the hay fields at Monteview
Anything near Dubois is unit 59 or maybe 59A. Birch creek drainage is 58, which is a bit of a distance from Monteview or Dubois…just saying

Well aware of all the units and the boundaries. Comment was more to illustrate the elk are coming down all over. He has a cow tag good in 58, but others may have a 58-1 tag which is good for bulls in all three units

I hunted unit 58 for one day around 22 years ago when I was at Ricks college. Killed a 3 point buck, found a 5 point deer shed and found a big ole 5x6 deer rack which measured just over 30 inches wide and the whole skeleton leaned up against a log up on top of a mountain with a heck of a view looking out across a deep rocky canyon. I always wondered if that buck died there in his bed of old age or got shot and laid down or what. Probably around 2 or 3 years old when I found it. Neat country. Never been back.

A friend has a 63 cow tag, and the Camas NWR endorsement. Seeing a couple hundred a day in big herds, but no way to get close for an ethical shot. I told him to buy a Creedmore, and they will automatically be half the distance, and shootable!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom