Idaho Gun Laws

CouesFanatic

I wanted to get a pistol to carry while out in lion and grizz country but I am a resident of Arizona. Can I buy a pistol as a nonresident living here currently for school?

As long as you are not a convicted felon you can purchase a hand gun and take it hunting with you. To be honest with you it's a pretty good idea. I carry a 357 when I am elk hunting, to many stories of hunters becoming the bears main course while cleaning there game. Just make sure it is in easy access when your hunting.

and also like with any gun, rifle or pistol, you must carry a hunting license while in field

Calgaryflames that is not true.
I was told after running into some NR hunting here in Idaho where several people in the group had tags and there was 5 people carrying rifles. I got ahold of F&G about it and they told me there was nothing they could do because as a US citizen you have the right to bear arms. With or without a hunting license for Idaho.

Your right Siding man. You can carry a weapon as long as it's in the open and not concelled and your not a convicted felon. I came accross you last year in Walmart in Jerome do you remember. I am from Twin but living in Kentucky.

i thought so, at least thats how i was brought up with hunting with all my family, Ron could you find it where it states it in the regs?

Sounds like the original question was whether you can buy the handgun in Idaho as a nonresident student. Out of my expertise, but I believe the answer is no. I think federal law only allows handgun purchases within your own state (been told must have an in-state driver's license). Don't think student status would grant you that priviledge. Might be easiest to ask at a local gun dealer.

SalmonFG,

Can you respond on the question of whether a hunting license is required to carry a gun in the field during hunting season. I know you apparently don't need a tag, say during deer or elk season, and have asked a local FG guy, Bill London, about that, which he agreed to. Just curious.

We were lucky enough to have a tag to hunt the early Owyhee Elk hunt last season, but opening day there were a hundred guys with guns running around, apparently whole teams of gun toting scouters seemed to come with each tag holder. Very disappointing after all the scouting to be overrun like that.

I asked the local RCO and he said that the rule was dropped. You no longer need to have a licence to carry a gun in the field. Ron

Idaho Statute says that you must have a valid hunting license to hunt or take any wildlife (includes unprotected and predatory wildlife). So it doesn't regulate simply carrying a firearm in the field. But as soon as someone is hunting (defined in statute: '"Hunting" means chasing, driving, flushing, attracting, pursuing, worrying, following after or on the trail of, shooting at, stalking, or lying in wait for, any wildlife whether or not such wildlife is then or subsequently captured, killed, taken, or wounded. Such term does not include stalking,
attracting, searching for, or lying in wait for, any wildlife by an unarmed person solely for the purpose of watching wildlife or taking pictures thereof.') a license is required. Notice, the watching/taking pictures part says by an unarmed person.

Tom Keegan
IDFG Salmon Region Wildlife Manager

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom