Idaho legal lead

300winnie

I am new to the thought of hunting with a muzzleloader in Idaho (resident). I see different options out there, but in reading the regulations for a “muzzleloader only” hunt it seems that most are not legal. Other than a patched round ball or molding your own (which I’m not interested in doing) what commercial options are available that will keep the regulation enforcers happy. Do you have a preference amongst those choices.

Thank you in advance.

Any of the all-lead conicals are legal, as long as they are within .010" of bore diameter. The ones that are lead, but have a plastic tip (Federal Bor-Lock, Aero-Tip, etc) are NOT legal. A couple IDFG wardens have specifically told me that the tip is for the purpose of enhancing the bullet flight, and would write these up. There are several experienced hunters on here are who casting their own conicals, then paper patching for a good gas seal. That is not a sabot, and is legal to do. Look to No Excuses bullets, Harvester (385 gr), Power Belt in 295 or 348 lead. The 295 is too light for big game in most peoples opinion, and has numerous documented cases of lost elk.

I have been paper patching my own bullets for many years. In my opinion the paper patched bullets I make are so much better than factory bullets its not even fair to compare them. This is my 50 cal they weigh 458 grains

H1Jkg7v.jpg

This bullet is one I took out of my bull from last year.

V71Mr4N.jpg

9a42XIw.jpg

That bullet held together very well. These next bullets was a 410 gr Hornady flat point. This bullet was discontinued a few years ago.

xO4JRud.jpg

I almost lost the deer that I shot these with. In my opinion the Hornady bullets are garbage.

The next bullet I have to show is a power belt.

YHR9B0T.jpg

I was watching a farmer in a combine driving down a road. I was about 5 miles away and 3000 feet above him on the mountain. He shot at some elk from his combine and didn't think he hit one. I watched them and one took off by it's self and I knew it was hit. By the time I got there the farmer was gone but I found the elk. It took off running and I shot it. Later I found this bullet in the hip. The bullet failed to break the hip. The Hornady was garbage, the power belts are dog cr@p.

The only bullet I recommend now is the No excuse bullets. Quality control is almost non existent. But they do shoot better than most factory bullets. I have no experience with them on game. I have heard from a lot of guys that say they had good luck with them.

Any of the all-lead conicals are legal, as long as they are within .010" of bore diameter. The ones that are lead, but have a plastic tip (Federal Bor-Lock, Aero-Tip, etc) are NOT legal. A couple IDFG wardens have specifically told me that the tip is for the purpose of enhancing the bullet flight, and would write these up. There are several experienced hunters on here are who casting their own conicals, then paper patching for a good gas seal. That is not a sabot, and is legal to do. Look to No Excuses bullets, Harvester (385 gr), Power Belt in 295 or 348 lead. The 295 is too light for big game in most peoples opinion, and has numerous documented cases of lost elk.
Thank you. I’ve heard mixed thoughts on Power belts. Are they Idaho legal where the belt isn’t lead or lead alloy?

I have been paper patching my own bullets for many years. In my opinion the paper patched bullets I make are so much better than factory bullets its not even fair to compare them. This is my 50 cal they weigh 458 grains

View attachment 35539

View attachment 35540
View attachment 35541

That bullet held together very well. These next bullets was a 410 gr Hornady flat point. This bullet was discontinued a few years ago.

View attachment 35542

I almost lost the deer that I shot these with. In my opinion the Hornady bullets are garbage.

View attachment 35543

I was watching a farmer in a combine driving down a road. I was about 5 miles away and 3000 feet above him on the mountain. He shot at some elk from his combine and didn't think he hit one. I watched them and one took off by it's self and I knew it was hit. By the time I got there the farmer was gone but I found the elk. It took off running and I shot it. Later I found this bullet in the hip. The bullet failed to break the hip. The Hornady was garbage, the power belts are dog cr@p.

The only bullet I recommend now is the No excuse bullets. Quality control is almost non existent. But they do shoot better than most factory bullets. I have no experience with them on game. I have heard from a lot of guys that say they had good luck with them.
That home rolled slug looks really impressive.

Yes, the pure lead PowerBelts (not any of the plated ones tho) are legal, as they determined the belt is for a gas seal only and does not enhance the bullets flight. it is even pictured in the photo showing Idaho-legal equipment they link to in the regs. We only shoot the 348 for antelope and deer, not for elk.

The Power belt that I showed the picture of is legal. The bullet is completely made of lead. It had a plastic base but it is not a part of the bullet it is a gas check. They are accurate to a point but on game they suck.
I harden my bullets a bit for better accuracy and better performance on game. I have only found a couple of those bullets. One was on a cow elk that I shot in the shoulder at 60 yards. The bullet was found under the skin in the flank. It penetrated over 3 foot of elk before it stopped. The bullet I showed before crushed the shoulder of a bull at 248 yards and broke the spine dropping the bull in its tracks.
This bullet is my paper patched 45 cal RCBS 11mm rifle bullet I make. These are a bit harder than the 50, they are actually a Lee 500 S&W bullet I make my self. This bullet hit a buck mule deer in the flank and plowed forward to be found in the neck close to the head.

mCGtIiL.jpg

Those bullets start out at 408 grains. I grade them +- 1 grain.
That bullet still weighs 408.2 grains.
I have been hunting with BP off and on for over 40 years. 15 years ago I got really serious about what I wanted in my guns and loads. That was when I put together my first Hot Rod guns. and the Bullets came after that. The first animal known to be killed with paper patched Lee 500 S&W bullet was this buck.

daB0nu9.jpg

After that one, I have killed many deer, elk and antelope with them. There are a ton of guys that have followed my loads and have killed piles of game with these bullets.
The reason that these bullets are superior are first, the paper makes the load more consistent. The paper protects the barrel from the lead, and the paper protects the bullet from the barrel. Naked bullets leave a trace of lead after every shot. It might be very miniscule but it does leave some. The next one leaves a little more and the next a little more, this will affect the accuracy in time, Plus you add in the powder fouling. I'm not saying that naked bullets can't be accurate, they can. But it takes more work. You have to clean better. You have to have better lube. And in my opinion it takes a better mixture of lead.
I had luck with naked bullets but the paper patched bullets have proven to be more consistent.
Paper patching does take work developing a load just like any other bullet.
I have found that with 80 gr of Pyrodex P with a over sized wool over powder wad .620 for a 50 cal, in a Green Mountain barrel the load shoots very well. Green Mountain used to make and I guess still does make barrels for side lock guns and they make the barrels for Knight rifles. My knight MK85 inlines shoot the same as my side lock guns. I just like my sidelock guns better. These barrels shoot very very well with my load.

LDJxvBF.jpg

JlO6298.jpg

7MAWVW8.jpg

View attachment 35539

View attachment 35540
View attachment 35541

View attachment 35542

View attachment 35543

No excuses are an underrated bullet IMO

No excuses are an underrated bullet IMO

I don't think they are underrated. They work well for a lot of guys. I actually recommend them if a guy is willing to do his own quality control.
If they actually had any quality control and slightly hardened them they would be very good bullets.

I actually met the guy who makes them, he hunted the same ground that I used to, he asked me what I was shooting out of my old knight 54 and I said no excuses, he said I made those?

NO EXCUSES Ain't Bad!

But If the Newer Ones Ain't anymore Consistent than the Old ones.............................!

The expansion on some of these bullets, I bet leaves some big, leaky, holes in whatever they get shot into.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom