Idaho Moose 10-3

HappyHorn

My buddy and I were lucky enough to both draw Idaho 10-3 moose together. We are both avid back-country big game hunters in central Idaho, and are not afraid of a challenging hunt.

However, we know precisely nothing about this area, and even less about Shiras moose. Whenever I see Shiras it seems to be totally random.

We will be scouting for a week mid July, then we will be hunting at least 2 separate weeks.

If anybody has any information about moose general behavior, habitat, etc, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if anybody is familiar with that area, any info would be great. For example: Is glassing realistic in this country? When does the snow set in? Are there any areas that you run in to moose? etc.

Any info anybody has to get us on the right track would be awesome!

Thanks!

I'm not sure exactly which of the 10's that is but the biggest Idaho moose I've seen came out of a 10 unit. The guys killed two moose, both were big. They hunted late in the season following fresh tracks in the snow. Took two days to catch up but it worked. I don't think glassing will be an option. Good luck . Hope the fires don't affect you.

Scouting in the summer is pretty difficult, given it is very hot and moose are big and black. They only show themselves very early and late. Also once the rut gets going a bull can travel miles looking for receptive cows.
So in my opinion summer scouting is to just learn the country. I hunted in September in Wyoming when the bulls were rutting. I checked cow groups and stayed mobile waiting on a love-sick bull to show himself. The biologist told me to cover as much ground as I could rather than focusing on one drainage. It worked for me.

You do have an opportunity to pattern a big bull before the rut if you have the time. Easiest way to get one in my opinion especially if in an area in Idaho that opens end of Aug. Got my biggest bull that way. Put him to sleep the night before the opener and was only a quarter mile away at first light...bam 166 inch bull.

That early period, the rut, and the after rut in the migration area are the 3 best opportunities at a big bull. I tracked up a wyoming record book bull in a burn area in Wyoming mid Oct in the snow in a migration area. Got to withing 50 yards...man that was exciting.

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom