IDAHO MOOSE UNIT 64

OLDHORNHUNTER

Very Active Member
I posted in the Idaho section Apparently Not a single person has ever hunted unit 64 in Idaho !! A friend of mine's 13 year old daughter drew a 64 moose tag this year, I am looking for anyone that has hunted it for moose in the last 3 years. that might share a little info, just wanting a starting point that might put them where the moose are. Her dad is going to contact F&G & see what insight they might share.

I also have a 64 moose tag. I farm and grew up in those hills I can give yah some info in private. My best advice is don’t have high standards. The Unit has really gone down hill between the wolves and the over crowding of people the place is not what it used to be.

My buddies daughter ended up shooting a dink it was the only bull they saw in like 5 or 6 trips over there. Krando was the ONLY reply to this posting Thanks .. Another unit ruined by Idaho F&G & their not enough info yet to do something game management Strategy !!

My buddies daughter ended up shooting a dink it was the only bull they saw in like 5 or 6 trips over there. Krando was the ONLY reply to this posting Thanks .. Another unit ruined by Idaho F&G & their not enough info yet to do something game management Strategy !!

Still cool she got a moose, regardless if it was a dink. Hopefully she had a good time in the field with her dad.

Still cool she got a moose, regardless if it was a dink. Hopefully she had a good time in the field with her dad.
Yeah they had a blast covered a lot of country , talked to a lot of land owners I guess they found out 1st hand how Idaho F&G can screw up a unit . Her dad said almost everyone they talked to had the same story used to be a lot of moose but dont seem to see many these days !! I guess when you over harvest year after year & then realize Sh!t the critters are gone by that time its usually too late

Yeah they had a blast covered a lot of country , talked to a lot of land owners I guess they found out 1st hand how Idaho F&G can screw up a unit . Her dad said almost everyone they talked to had the same story used to be a lot of moose but dont seem to see many these days !! I guess when you over harvest year after year & then realize Sh!t the critters are gone by that time its usually too late
I don’t think it’s over harvest in Idaho. Moose are having a huge die off from a disease.

I don’t think it’s over harvest in Idaho. Moose are having a huge die off from a disease.
I strongly disagree , other than wolves you dont see or hear any info about any diseases from F&G or any other source. They have issued huge amounts of tags for many years & the success rate is close to 100% in most units. Combine the # of tags with the natural die off & the predator kills pretty easy to reduce a herd over a few years .

I strongly disagree , other than wolves you dont see or hear any info about any diseases from F&G or any other source. They have issued huge amounts of tags for many years & the success rate is close to 100% in most units. Combine the # of tags with the natural die off & the predator kills pretty easy to reduce a herd over a few years .
We will just disagree on this then.
You could do some research about what issues the moose are having with disease if you wanted, or just point fingers.

Every moose tag holder that I know has been sent a field kit to gather specific parts of the moose they harvest. Seal and return to the FG for processing. Wonder what they are looking for with all of those samples?

My wife killed a Moose last year and the kit was quite extensive. we took fecal sample, lung sample, heart sample, hide sample and drew a vile of blood, I think I’m missing one or two things. I have also heard that some of these Moose are heavily infested with ticks or possibly a parasite. I guess will see if the Moose declined in our area this year because my daughter drew a Moose tag for this fall. I also agree the Farm, Fish and Game is always pushing the Max Harvest, instead of leaving a little wiggle room for population growth. The Wolves have kept the population down in the central mountains.

I read the article that Blank posted, according to that article the moose decline is a mystery to F&G !! And they said a couple of times They do not know what is causing it !! I know 3 people that drew tags last year or the year before none were given any kits from F&G
We will just disagree on this then.
You could do some research about what issues the moose are having with disease if you wanted, or just point fingers.

Every moose tag holder that I know has been sent a field kit to gather specific parts of the moose they harvest. Seal and return to the FG for processing. Wonder what they are looking for with all of those samples?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom