Idaho needs a point system now

Why does every state have some type of system except flipping Idaho AKA the only fair system my butt. Fish and Game could raise the price to 1000.00 for each tag and license and still all the retarted out of state hunters with deep pockets would buy them. There new rule this year royally back fired on them. 30 years is a long time to go with out a permit Screw all you who disagree I could care less...

30 or 27???

elkster123,

30 years is a long time to go without a controlled tag. Please advise exactly what tags you have been applying for during this stretch. Perhaps we can explore the draw odds, statistics and probability to come up with a new draw strategy that will break this unfortunate streak you have going.

Sincerely,
"retarded out of state hunter"

elkster123,

30 years is a long time to go without a controlled tag. Please advise exactly what tags you have been applying for during this stretch. Perhaps we can explore the draw odds, statistics and probability to come up with a new draw strategy that will break this unfortunate streak you have going.

Sincerely,
"retarded out of state hunter"

850C1F57-D17A-464F-97C6-45317DEC9F9C.png

I used to think a points system was the way to go. About 10 years ago I was really hoping Idaho would go that way. Now that I have kids coming up, and where I was late to the game on points in several other states I am totally opposed. I am a lifelong Idaho resident, I have drawn 3 deer tags (about ~15% odds) and 2 elk tags (~50% odds) and no antelope tags (well unlimited archery). That is in 20+ years of hunting, and I am ok with that. My oldest son who has hunted 3 seasons and has drawn 2 deer tags ~(15% odds) and 2 elk tags (one with horrible odds, like 3% the other about 30% odds). Sure he has gotten super lucky, but also I am ok with that. I am also ok and happy for you, your kids or family to draw a tag. We adopt the points system and it just puts our kids who are not of hunting age as well as anyone who is late to the point game at a severe disadvantage. I understand the frustration in not drawing tags, but when a person applies for a tag year after year with less than 5% odds, you can't be really upset you don't get that tag. It really almost has to be expected. We are still fortunate as residents that we can hunt OTC tags for deer and elk every year. Also that we have ample public ground to do it on. I know our system isn't perfect, but there are very few states that offer a more fair system. Just because you applied for 20 or 30 or however many years shouldn't guarantee you anything. Also there are multiple states that currently offer points systems, that might be just what you guys may be after. Anyways good luck in the draws to all, hope one day you are lucky enough to pull your dream tag.

I wonder how many will change their position once the draw odds for residents steepen with the massive influx of new resident hunters entering the draw and making it even more difficult to draw tags that were once attainable.

Do you think changing to a point system would make it easier to draw a tag then with more resident applicants?

I wonder how many will change their position once the draw odds for residents steepen with the massive influx of new resident hunters entering the draw and making it even more difficult to draw tags that were once attainable.

It's been happening for at least two decades now. The odds are tougher every year. Still completely opposed to a point system as children that have not started hunting yet are at a disadvantage on day 1. That reason alone should be the end of any discussion of a point system in my opinion.

I used to think a points system was the way to go. About 10 years ago I was really hoping Idaho would go that way. Now that I have kids coming up, and where I was late to the game on points in several other states I am totally opposed. I am a lifelong Idaho resident, I have drawn 3 deer tags (about ~15% odds) and 2 elk tags (~50% odds) and no antelope tags (well unlimited archery). That is in 20+ years of hunting, and I am ok with that. My oldest son who has hunted 3 seasons and has drawn 2 deer tags ~(15% odds) and 2 elk tags (one with horrible odds, like 3% the other about 30% odds). Sure he has gotten super lucky, but also I am ok with that. I am also ok and happy for you, your kids or family to draw a tag. We adopt the points system and it just puts our kids who are not of hunting age as well as anyone who is late to the point game at a severe disadvantage. I understand the frustration in not drawing tags, but when a person applies for a tag year after year with less than 5% odds, you can't be really upset you don't get that tag. It really almost has to be expected. We are still fortunate as residents that we can hunt OTC tags for deer and elk every year. Also that we have ample public ground to do it on. I know our system isn't perfect, but there are very few states that offer a more fair system. Just because you applied for 20 or 30 or however many years shouldn't guarantee you anything. Also there are multiple states that currently offer points systems, that might be just what you guys may be after. Anyways good luck in the draws to all, hope one day you are lucky enough to pull your dream tag.
^^^Once again, proof that there is an entirely different draw system for kids and women and anyone who continues to disagree is purely delusional. This is also another reason that the "kids would be at a disadvantage with a points system" is a lame, baseless argument. Guys making this claim are selfishly doing so because they are taking advantage of the special draws their kids are getting and hunting vicariously through them. Anyone who thinks otherwise or disagrees is either naive or outright lying. I'm not for or against points. I see both sides of the argument and have decided to get out of most states with PP's once my points are burned because I'm tired of the point creep game. At the same time, at least I know eventually I will draw a tag in those states. Can't say that in Idaho. You could theoretically put in forever and never draw without a PP system.

^^^Once again, proof that there is an entirely different draw system for kids and women and anyone who continues to disagree is purely delusional. This is also another reason that the "kids would be at a disadvantage with a points system" is a lame, baseless argument. Guys making this claim are selfishly doing so because they are taking advantage of the special draws their kids are getting and hunting vicariously through them. Anyone who thinks otherwise or disagrees is either naive or outright lying. I'm not for or against points. I see both sides of the argument and have decided to get out of most states with PP's once my points are burned because I'm tired of the point creep game. At the same time, at least I know eventually I will draw a tag in those states. Can't say that in Idaho. You could theoretically put in forever and never draw without a PP system.

Sure wish my wife would pull one of these sweet tags you speak of. Do I need to check a special box to get in that special privilege draw?

I don't know about proof as I know several kids my sons age who haven't drawn anything. I also have a sister in law who seems to draw any tag she applies for. But my wife can't seem to pull anything but unlimited tags. My other son also isn't nearly as lucky as his brother. Until I was 30 I had only drawn 2 easy to draw elk tags, then for 3 consecutive years I was drawn for an either sex deer tag. So I have experienced being pretty unlucky to very lucky. I guess sometimes you get a hot streak. Also the kids being disadvantaged is not really a baseless point. You are a seasoned hunter who stated that you were exiting the points game because you were tired of the point creep. So we are supposed to handicap our kids before they even start? I have an 8 year old, if they implemented points he is just screwed? Just because he was born a couple years late he doesn't deserve a shot to draw a unit 45 deer tag? Or a 54 elk tag? Or another top tier tag because he will never catch the top point holders. But somehow others should be guaranteed at some point in their life just because they were born a couple years earlier and can start points when the plan is instituted? And as far as living vicariously through my kids, I think all parents enjoy seeing their kids succeed, I enjoy seeing all youth hunter succeed. But as far as special opportunities, my kids are applying for the same tags as me and other adult hunters. This year my 2 oldest boys drew muzzle antelope tags, 50% draw odds. Not really that killer of a tag, but that is the only youth only opportunity they are taking advantage of or have taken advantage of. We also need to remember that young hunter involvement is critical for the future of hunting. Tough to just toss them aside and tell them too bad, should have been born sooner. You don't get the chance to hunt the good units. I understand that points may guarantee a tag for some or most, but it also may prevent someone younger from ever getting that tag.

I don't know about proof as I know several kids my sons age who haven't drawn anything. I also have a sister in law who seems to draw any tag she applies for. But my wife can't seem to pull anything but unlimited tags. My other son also isn't nearly as lucky as his brother. Until I was 30 I had only drawn 2 easy to draw elk tags, then for 3 consecutive years I was drawn for an either sex deer tag. So I have experienced being pretty unlucky to very lucky. I guess sometimes you get a hot streak. Also the kids being disadvantaged is not really a baseless point. You are a seasoned hunter who stated that you were exiting the points game because you were tired of the point creep. So we are supposed to handicap our kids before they even start? I have an 8 year old, if they implemented points he is just screwed? Just because he was born a couple years late he doesn't deserve a shot to draw a unit 45 deer tag? Or a 54 elk tag? Or another top tier tag because he will never catch the top point holders. But somehow others should be guaranteed at some point in their life just because they were born a couple years earlier and can start points when the plan is instituted? And as far as living vicariously through my kids, I think all parents enjoy seeing their kids succeed, I enjoy seeing all youth hunter succeed. But as far as special opportunities, my kids are applying for the same tags as me and other adult hunters. This year my 2 oldest boys drew muzzle antelope tags, 50% draw odds. Not really that killer of a tag, but that is the only youth only opportunity they are taking advantage of or have taken advantage of. We also need to remember that young hunter involvement is critical for the future of hunting. Tough to just toss them aside and tell them too bad, should have been born sooner. You don't get the chance to hunt the good units. I understand that points may guarantee a tag for some or most, but it also may prevent someone younger from ever getting that tag.
The point creep argument for kids is baseless. Might they have to wait to draw a tag? Yes. But, statistically, by building points starting at a young age, they will likely draw as young adults. The population demographic of hunters shows that many either drop out of the game due to old age and inability to hunt any more or other reasons every yr. Point creep won't go on forever. And a hybrid system with tag allocation for random draw plus an allocation for PP holders would still allow anyone to get lucky and draw, regardless of points.

The point creep argument for kids is baseless. Might they have to wait to draw a tag? Yes. But, statistically, by building points starting at a young age, they will likely draw as young adults. The population demographic of hunters shows that many either drop out of the game due to old age and inability to hunt any more or other reasons every yr. Point creep won't go on forever. And a hybrid system with tag allocation for random draw plus an allocation for PP holders would still allow anyone to get lucky and draw, regardless of points.
It really isn't baseless, they are pretty much eliminated from ever drawing top tier units. A kid that can begin building points now is 20+ years behind the top point holders in some states. They are not just having to wait, they are basically eliminated. Also the top tier units usually have such a low tag allocation that random tags are often not awarded in those units. This also goes for people who may take up hunting later in life, they are also all but eliminated from those tags. Take Wyoming Elk 124 for example, there was a 5% chance to draw with max points this year in the regular draw, and a 22% chance with max points in the special draw with no tags given in the random. Someone starting at 0 now is never going to catch up with the max point holders, and with no tags given in the random they are pretty much eliminated. You even stated that you were getting out of the point game in some states because of the point creep. You can't pretend that it is effecting you but will have no impact on new hunters.

It really isn't baseless, they are pretty much eliminated from ever drawing top tier units. A kid that can begin building points now is 20+ years behind the top point holders in some states. They are not just having to wait, they are basically eliminated. Also the top tier units usually have such a low tag allocation that random tags are often not awarded in those units. This also goes for people who may take up hunting later in life, they are also all but eliminated from those tags. Take Wyoming Elk 124 for example, there was a 5% chance to draw with max points this year in the regular draw, and a 22% chance with max points in the special draw with no tags given in the random. Someone starting at 0 now is never going to catch up with the max point holders, and with no tags given in the random they are pretty much eliminated. You even stated that you were getting out of the point game in some states because of the point creep. You can't pretend that it is effecting you but will have no impact on new hunters.

Agreed. Many who started 2-3 years late in getting points will never draw a super high demand hunt. Zero percent chance. Way too many ahead of them with max points. If points were the answer, why have states implemented a random component to their draws? The states realize the racket points are.

Simply and factually not true. If a 12-yr old starting accumulating points right now, in 20-30 yrs, the majority of point holders will have expired or stopped applying/hunting. Accumulation of points and creep can't go on indefinitely. Eventually, people die. And, expecially if the system instituted was one like NV, MT, etc where additional PP's gives one additional entries in the draw rather than CO or CA where one has to have max points to even get a tag, claiming that kids would never be in the game is not true and either an uneducated argument or, more likely, a selfish attempt at justifying one's personal preference for not wanting a point system.

If you like the states with points so much why don’t you move back to one of them. I’m assuming you moved to Idaho from California or Washington.

Simply and factually not true. If a 12-yr old starting accumulating points right now, in 20-30 yrs, the majority of point holders will have expired or stopped applying/hunting. Accumulation of points and creep can't go on indefinitely. Eventually, people die. And, expecially if the system instituted was one like NV, MT, etc where additional PP's gives one additional entries in the draw rather than CO or CA where one has to have max points to even get a tag, claiming that kids would never be in the game is not true and either an uneducated argument or, more likely, a selfish attempt at justifying one's personal preference for not wanting a point system.
Ha, uneducated and selfish. I provided you actual data from a hunt in Wyoming. It is not uneducated or wrong to state that kids and new hunters would be disadvantaged if they do not start applying when a system is instituted. Even in Nevada point creep exists still. Even if creep stops at some point we are going to be talking 40-50 points to draw some of these top end tags. Tough to get a kid or new hunter excited about a tag they can draw in 40 or 50 years if ever. I do not want a points system, I have been saying that since I began the discussion on this forum. If a system is implemented in idaho most of my kids will be of age to participate, so they will be in at the entry level. But I hardly consider it selfish to consider that younger/new hunters should have the same opportunities others are and have been afforded. Youth hunter involvement is critical for the future of hunting. I dont really know what is selfish about the statements I have made.

Having never drawn an antelope tag in my home state of Idaho in 40 years, (Maybe this will be the year) I will say No Point system. My favorite state to apply is New Mexico.
Hey Elkman
i haven't drawn an antelope tag here in Kali in 40 years as well. Not sure wth is going on. I did not draw again this year and thought for sure this was my year.
But I am with you what does it take.

It's been happening for at least two decades now. The odds are tougher every year. Still completely opposed to a point system as children that have not started hunting yet are at a disadvantage on day 1. That reason alone should be the end of any discussion of a point system in my opinion.
Sorry, but I'm not willing to trade my opportunities for the possibility that someone who might hunt in the future will have an opportunity to draw a tag. The reality is that with the population growth folks will have little chance of drawing a tag without some sort of revamping of the system.

Sorry, but I'm not willing to trade my opportunities for the possibility that someone who might hunt in the future will have an opportunity to draw a tag. The reality is that with the population growth folks will have little chance of drawing a tag without some sort of revamping of the system.
I'm more than willing to give up all my points in Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nevada, Arizona and Utah to go to completely random draw like Idaho or New Mexico. If you think point systems will increase the number of tag you draw, you are a fool. The math is not complicated to understand how point systems will decrease your odds of drawing a tag. The only benefit a point system provides is helping predict if you will draw a tag the next year.

Kids and juniors already have an unfair advantage by way of special mentor/junior hunts and the special draw that they get put into that IDFG won't publicly admit to. And now you're complaining that a point system would put them at a severe disadvantage??? Cry me a river. It's a bogus argument and the facts don't support it. You can make all the ridiculous claims you want but facts are facts. Your argument is pure, unsubstantiated speculation driven by selfishness. I bet we can guess your political party as well.

If you want facts then look at the draw odds for general hunts in Wyoming now vs prior to the point system. The fact is that every state that has instituted a point system has substantially more applicants trying to bank a chance at getting a tag someday than they ever had in the past. So if you want a point system in Idaho I’ll guarantee applicants will substantially increase which will in turn make your odds of drawing worse even after you’ve saved ten or twenty years of points.

Kids and juniors already have an unfair advantage by way of special mentor/junior hunts and the special draw that they get put into that IDFG won't publicly admit to. And now you're complaining that a point system would put them at a severe disadvantage??? Cry me a river. It's a bogus argument and the facts don't support it. You can make all the ridiculous claims you want but facts are facts. Your argument is pure, unsubstantiated speculation driven by selfishness. I bet we can guess your political party as well.

? you talk about facts and then present your “theory” on youth having their own “special” pool of tags the FandG won’t admit to...priceless

We could go back and forth on this forever, if you like points there are plenty of states that afford you that opportunity. I prefer the random draw that my home state offers. Either way good luck in your hunts in the future. ✌

P.S. Vote Red

? you talk about facts and then present your “theory” on youth having their own “special” pool of tags the FandG won’t admit to...priceless
I have gotten IDFG personnel to basically admit this "off record" but will not publicly acknowledge due to fear of losing their job. All one has to do is look at the number of kids drawing hard-to-draw tags on a regular basis to prove it.

We could go back and forth on this forever, if you like points there are plenty of states that afford you that opportunity. I prefer the random draw that my home state offers. Either way good luck in your hunts in the future. ✌

P.S. Vote Red
I never said I liked points. In fact, I'm trying to burn my points in most states and will not start re-accumulating once I draw. But, I'm older and it doesn't make sense for me to do so. On the other hand, I don't like it when people use the baseless "unfair to the kids" argument against a PP system when it just doesn't hold water.

If you want facts then look at the draw odds for general hunts in Wyoming now vs prior to the point system. The fact is that every state that has instituted a point system has substantially more applicants trying to bank a chance at getting a tag someday than they ever had in the past. So if you want a point system in Idaho I’ll guarantee applicants will substantially increase which will in turn make your odds of drawing worse even after you’ve saved ten or twenty years of points.
The draw odds in WY have NOTHING to do with the PP system. I drew plenty of tags in WY with the PP system in place. It's only in the last 5 yrs or so that the draw odds have worsened and is due to many factors including internet chest-thumpers who have to post and brag about animals they killed, magazines like HF, Epic, and Eastman's publishing articles and stories about the best places to hunt in WY and other states, more people applying out of state because of poor management in their own state, etc. I would say organizations like HF probably have had the biggest impact. For example, I should have drawn a decent archery elk tag in CO several yrs ago. But the year before I likely had enough points, HF listed it as one of their "top picks." Guess what. Applications to that unit went through the roof and I still haven't drawn it several yrs later. Eventually, people will wake up and realize that sitting on the sidelines for 20+ yrs for a tag in CO is just not worth it. No unit in CO is worth that many points. People think that if they draw a top unit, there's a 350+ bull around every tree. It's laughable. Most of those guys with max points will be so old by the time they draw that they won't even be able to hunt effectively. Meanwhile, they could have been in the field for 20 yrs in other units.

The draw odds in WY have NOTHING to do with the PP system. I drew plenty of tags in WY with the PP system in place. It's only in the last 5 yrs or so that the draw odds have worsened and is due to many factors including internet chest-thumpers who have to post and brag about animals they killed, magazines like HF, Epic, and Eastman's publishing articles and stories about the best places to hunt in WY and other states, more people applying out of state because of poor management in their own state, etc. I would say organizations like HF probably have had the biggest impact. For example, I should have drawn a decent archery elk tag in CO several yrs ago. But the year before I likely had enough points, HF listed it as one of their "top picks." Guess what. Applications to that unit went through the roof and I still haven't drawn it several yrs later. Eventually, people will wake up and realize that sitting on the sidelines for 20+ yrs for a tag in CO is just not worth it. No unit in CO is worth that many points. People think that if they draw a top unit, there's a 350+ bull around every tree. It's laughable. Most of those guys with max points will be so old by the time they draw that they won't even be able to hunt effectively. Meanwhile, they could have been in the field for 20 yrs in other units.
That’s all a theory also not a fact. I’d agree with most of it but it’s still a theory. There isn’t really any way to prove what effect the internet or magazines have had on areas. You can however prove that the odds to draw have significantly decreased since points systems were instituted.

That’s all a theory also not a fact. I’d agree with most of it but it’s still a theory. There isn’t really any way to prove what effect the internet or magazines have had on areas. You can however prove that the odds to draw have significantly decreased since points systems were instituted.
I never said I liked points. In fact, I'm trying to burn my points in most states and will not start re-accumulating once I draw. But, I'm older and it doesn't make sense for me to do so. On the other hand, I don't like it when people use the baseless "unfair to the kids" argument against a PP system when it just doesn't hold water.

I am so confused. One minute points are great, the next minute I hate them. Was drinking and typing involved here? Baffled.

You are right. Facts are facts and the fact is that point sucks. I bet you didn't guess Libertarian did ya?

Proof? 1year you can draw the tag with the points you have? Then HF puts it in a mag and the next it tags 5 more? That's proof not theory. Real life facts

Hey Mallard..... I think you really need some help figuring out actual facts and statistics! Points always will be just a money scheme to generate capital for that particular institution! Too me 4 years to draw a Region tag in WY, yet I’ve killed 4 deer in 4 years here in Idaho and I bet all of them are bigger than what I’ll shoot in WY this year. Points suck!
Matt

You guys are all missing the big picture.
Tag are going to get tougher and tougher to get.Many many tags that were easy to get will become almost OIL.
With so many people moving into Idaho and Wyoming it’s coming.
Bottom line is Points systems make staggering amounts of money For The Fish and Game Departments!!!
While you personally may be happy to get tags easier on this system.
Overall the State is absolutely mismanaging
The amount of money they can make!!!
It’s financially irresponsible for them to hold back on increasing revenue.

so what fullcry is saying 99% of the hunters are against points,are dumb shits,which would include the Governor ,cause he's against them too..

Tag are going to get tougher and tougher to get.Many many tags that were easy to get will become almost OIL.
Bottom line is Points systems make staggering amounts of money For The Fish and Game Departments!!!
This is one of the most ridiculous statements I’ve read on this forum.

Since your making suggestions for Idaho, wondering what state you live in? Your statement sounds Utahn all the way. The state of rape the game for a buck! Oh and let the rich get endless opportunities at the best. ????

There you go.
Some one Who doesn’t agree with you so they must be from out of state! LOL
The Game and fish departments could charge
$1000 for many of the best tags.
And still have more idiots like us Put in and still never draw.
We drive our $70,000 trucks and $25,000
Razors, $300 shirts, $5,000 long range rifles...
And we complain about the cost to hunt.
Lol
LETS RAISE License PRICES and buy more public land.
Put more money to programs that allow more hunters on private land.

Idaho Fish & Games mission statement is to in force the game laws & manage the game for the people of the state of Idaho. Not to raise the most money!

I could careless what your opinion about a point system is, your entitled to that. But what state you reside is important in the conversation. No matter want state we’re talking about. So what state do you reside in. HaHa

There you go.
Some one Who doesn’t agree with you so they must be from out of state! LOL
The Game and fish departments could charge
$1000 for many of the best tags.
And still have more idiots like us Put in and still never draw.
We drive our $70,000 trucks and $25,000
Razors, $300 shirts, $5,000 long range rifles...
And we complain about the cost to hunt.
Lol
LETS RAISE License PRICES and buy more public land.
Put more money to programs that allow more hunters on private land.

I drive a $7,000 truck, don’t own a razor, 4 wheeler or dirt bike, my hunting shirts usually cost about $50, and I don’t own a “$5000 long range rifle” but I have a savage axis that cost about $286. They could charge $1000 for an elk tag sure but how many average Idaho residents are going to fork over $1000 for a general elk tag in 39?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom