Idaho Nonresident Youth

Trophy_Taker

I have a 10 year old and would like to take him on an ID deer hunt next year. I'd like to buy him a general deer tag on December 1st. I don't see a hunting license option except for mentored youth licenses. I don't plan to hunt so would I need to purchase an adult hunting license for him. Maybe the option for him to hunt at 10 doesn't exist without me having a tag to mentor him? Can anyone explain the process for me?

I have a 10 year old and would like to take him on an ID deer hunt next year. I'd like to buy him a general deer tag on December 1st. I don't see a hunting license option except for mentored youth licenses. I don't plan to hunt so would I need to purchase an adult hunting license for him. Maybe the option for him to hunt at 10 doesn't exist without me having a tag to mentor him? Can anyone explain the process for me?
You will need to buy him a youth hunting license and ??that you can grab a tag on 12/1. Mentor doesn’t apply if you aren’t hunting. Also, have you set up a profile for him or are you trying to run it all through your profile? That might make a difference as to what’s available in the menu.

You will need to buy him a youth hunting license and ??that you can grab a tag on 12/1. Mentor doesn’t apply if you aren’t hunting. Also, have you set up a profile for him or are you trying to run it all through your profile? That might make a difference as to what’s available in the menu.
I've created an account for him but I don't see an option to purchase a youth hunting license. The Nonres Hunting-Jr Mentored ($91.75) seems to be the only option and requires an adult to have the same tag.

I called the IDFG last week regarding my 10 year old and they told me that there was no provision to buy him a non-mentored tag. They told me that the process was to get myself a tag on 12/1, then add his mentor tag in July OTC when the resident tags go on sale. She also told me that my tag would be unit specific but his would be good in any general unit.

Please call them yourself and confirm this info. -----SS

I called the IDFG last week regarding my 10 year old and they told me that there was no provision to buy him a non-mentored tag. They told me that the process was to get myself a tag on 12/1, then add his mentor tag in July OTC when the resident tags go on sale. She also told me that my tag would be unit specific but his would be good in any general unit.

Please call them yourself and confirm this info. -----SS
Thanks, that turns into an $800 deer tag real quick. It's poor for them to not offer an option for nonresident youth to obtain a tag without a mentor also buying one.

I use to take my boys to ID to deer hunt until the 600% increase a couple of years back. For me it went from a $600 hunt to a $1300 deer hunt with two boys and it was pointless for me to have the tag at the same time, I always went back later to hunt for myself after taking the boys.

ID is by far the most expensive state in the Union for youth opportunities. I think most states require a kid to be 12 to hunt on their own though, OR you could buy yourself an OTC deer tag and your son could legally fill the tag with the mentor program, you would be limited to blacktail deer though OTC.

Thanks, that turns into an $800 deer tag real quick. It's poor for them to not offer an option for nonresident youth to obtain a tag without a mentor also buying one.
Probably so some douche dad doesn't buy mentor tags every year so he can hunt on the cheap. All you would have to do is drag Jr along.
Trust me, someone has done this or thought of it. That's why it's not allowed.

Probably so some douche dad doesn't buy mentor tags every year so he can hunt on the cheap. All you would have to do is drag Jr along.
Trust me, someone has done this or thought of it. That's why it's not allowed.
I have no idea what the reasoning is but almost every other state allows youth tags to be purchased without an adult. You may be correct but that's a piss poor reason IMO, a lot of kids are missing out on being able to hunt in ID since the huge increase in their tag costs.

I could see requiring an adult to have the tag prior to the 600% increase, but now you can go buy a tag in multiple other western states as a stand-alone tag for a youth and still cost less than just the youth tag in ID before tacking on the extra $600 for an adult license and tag.

Several calls to IDFG have resulted in several different answers. One said I can buy him a license after inputting his hunter education info. Did that and that was incorrect info. Another call said 10 and 11 year olds must be mentored but that 12 year olds can buy a license without a mentor. Don't know if that is correct either, as I don't see anything but a nonres mentor youth license in the proclamation. Best I can tell if I want to take my kid on a deer hunt in ID it is going to be north of $800 in license fees and tags.

Several calls to IDFG have resulted in several different answers. One said I can buy him a license after inputting his hunter education info. Did that and that was incorrect info. Another call said 10 and 11 year olds must be mentored but that 12 year olds can buy a license without a mentor. Don't know if that is correct either, as I don't see anything but a nonres mentor youth license in the proclamation. Best I can tell if I want to take my kid on a deer hunt in ID it is going to be north of $800 in license fees and tags.
Totally worth it!-------SS

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom